An Old School Catholic Message Board

When necessary, use words

fides' Jack

St. Francis is often quoted as saying, "Preach the Gospel.  When necessary, use words." Or some other derivation of the same thing.  I've heard this quote in priests' homilies.  I've even heard it from bishops.

The problem is, not only did it not come from St. Francis, but it carries with it an anti-Catholic sentiment.  All the saints seem to be unanimous in their stance on the issue: actions and words are both necessary.  Truth must be preached at all times.  Those who censor the truth or hide the truth offend God.  

Of course I'm not referring to truth that is only pertinent to individuals, such as our individual sins... those are between the sinner and God.  Not everyone has a right to know every truth.  But moral truths, and truths about the world, everyone has a right to.  

Unfortunately over the last several decades modernism has crept into the hearts of even the most conservative people in the West.  We have embraced cushy, extravagant lives, and we have hid behind false quotes like this one to justify and excuse our sins of omission, as well as our attachment to gossip and impurity. 

Peace at the cost of falsehood is not peace, it is slavery.  Satan already controls this world, and he has already made most of us his slaves.  Those who accept the "truth" as offered from the kingdom of satan, through the governments of the world, do so to their own demise, both physically and spiritually.  It is only through the sacraments, and much daily prayer, that any of us will be spared this end - and the sacraments will not always be available to everyone.  

As in the first days of Christianity, Christ Himself is calling each of us to lay down our very lives in His Holy Name.  This fact is slowly becoming more and more clear.  Those who accept compromises reject Our Lord's call and accept satan's lies.  They will not see heaven.

Corinthians 6:9-10 "Do you not know that wrongdoers will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived! Fornicators, idolaters, adulterers, male prostitutes, sodomites, thieves, the greedy, drunkards, revilers, robbers—none of these will inherit the kingdom of God."

2 Corinthians 6:14-15 "Do not be bound together with unbelievers; for what partnership have righteousness and lawlessness, or what fellowship has light with darkness? Or what harmony has Christ with Belial, or what has a believer in common with an unbeliever?"

Matthew 6:24 "No one can serve two masters; for either he will hate the one and love the other, or he will be devoted to one and despise the other. You cannot serve God and wealth."

Seems like your interpretation of that quote is different than mine. It is absolutely telling me to use actions and words. Not sure why you don't read it that way.

47 minutes ago, dUSt said:

Seems like your interpretation of that quote is different than mine. It is absolutely telling me to use actions and words. Not sure why you don't read it that way.

In all honesty, it's very likely you are wiser than I am, then. 

I always took it to mean that the standard way of preaching the Gospel should only use words when example fails.  Certainly, in the homilies I mentioned, it was spelled out that way (verbatim).  I believed it that way.

Still the quote, and the above interpretation, are false.  St. Francis never said that.  We should be communicating the Gospel, with actions and with words, at all times.  It's only in-line with Catholic teaching if we understand that "when necessary" is always.  It is always necessary.

I'm glad not everyone is as dense as I am!

Edited by fides' Jack

1 hour ago, dUSt said:

yeah.. i'd have to agree with this....

But I do agree and think "preaching with words" is necessary, lest we become more susceptible to "but I'm/she's/he's a good person" mentality and worse...risk teaching/communicating this to others. Conversely, faith without works is dead. It's the classic Catholic both/and.

Here's a short exchange between two Dominican friars, on the same topic: 

1. Samuel Hakeem

Just like St. Dominic said: "Preach the Gospel. Use words. It's necessary."

(No, he didn't actually say it, but it's arguably more plausible than the supposed Francis quote)

2. Tomás Más Barba

I seem to remember Thomas Schaefgen [also a Dominican friar] preaching at vespers on this point… something like “No… and as Dominicans we have a LOT to say!” 

It is funny how the same words are rearranged by Franciscans and Dominicans. Of course, it totally makes sense that Franciscans would preach by example before talking and Dominicans would preach by talking before setting an example! Hahaha