An Old School Catholic Message Board

Phatmass' Phetus Still Lives (?)

PhuturePriest

PhuturePriest

Greetings.

I am still alive and kicking, and it has been a long time since I've been active here so I figured I would give a life update.

Here's something that should make the long-time members feel old: I turned 26 last month. Please make it stop.

As a snapshot of the interesting things I have done recently, here is a list of notable things that have happened since I last gave an update: I spent this past spring on a pastoral internship in my diocese, which was amazing. Among the more common parish activities, I also spent nearly every day at the school, taught the kids dance lessons and threw dance parties, shadowed the zoo vet as we wrestled down wallabies and shot stampeding bison with a tranquilizer gun while chasing them down in a truck, took up Medieval longsword lessons to befriend a teacher's husband, and read The Selection and flashed my extensive knowledge of Taylor Swift and One Direction so that middle school girls would think I was the coolest thing since sliced bread (for the record, it worked). I finished my internship in May, but I visited frequently over the summer and by popular demand attended all their dance recitals and school musicals, which touched all my dad heartstrings that I did not realize existed. I miss them all very dearly and plan a triumphant return in January.

Being halfway through my seventh year of seminary means several things. First, my diaconate ordination is hurtling towards us and is a mere 6 1/2 months away. My bishop visited Mundelein last month and informed me that, barring any surprises, everything is a go.

God preserve us all.

Second, it means that the coolest part of Mundelein is about to happen and I am leaving next Saturday to spend seven weeks in the Holy Land. I will spend two weeks in Bethlehem, followed by two weeks in Nazareth (including a week-long retreat on the Sea of Galilee and Christmas), and then the rest will be spent in Jerusalem. During this time we will be traveling all over Israel and Palestine, and I will get the opportunity to spend an entire night in the Sepulcher. I have never been overseas before, so this is quite the experience. If you have any overseas traveling advice, throw it at me.

Should I somehow avoid causing an international incident in those seven weeks, I will return in January for a short break followed by a semester of classes. Then ordination in May, immediately followed by a ten day pilgrimage to France with my bishop. It seems something like a betrayal to my ancestry and cultural preferences to visit France first before having visited Britain, but I suppose I'll allow it.

Anyways, those are essentially all the highlights since the last time. I went to the Notre Dame game vs Clemson last weekend and managed not to storm the field, the new Taylor Swift and 1975 albums are amazing, and I still await the One Direction reunion and album any day now. Hope springs eternal.

Edited by PhuturePriest

As expected, you’re developing into a wonderful priest.  I’m impressed, but not really surprised.   
Thanks for the update. I’m happy for you. 
As far as traveling to France….  Go with an open mind.   People respond to positive energy.   I was resigned to not enjoying France when we visited as a family.   While sulking in the bar car, A bartender on the Chunnel train taught me a few French phrases and challenged me to use the and see how it works out.  
I met the warmest people.   Had unique experiences. And ended up loving Paris more than the family members who insisted we visit.    Foreign or local, we’re all just friends that haven’t met yet.  

Edited by Anomaly

Totally Franciscan

I remember you, PhuturePriest!  Like you, I am an old Phatmasser!  God has been so good to you.  The Holy Land trip sounds like a wonderful preparation for diaconate and priestly ordination.  Being able to spend the night in the Holy Sepulcher is beyond amazing.  Please say a prayer for me while there. Thank you!  God bless you as you continue on your spiritual journey.

M-

This is the coolest thing I've read in a while! So very happy for you! I pray for you!! If you need a Deacon for your 1st Mass, let me know!

;)