An Old School Catholic Message Board

Whatever happened to...?

lanpingpug

Okay, apparently they have a facebook page, but no real postings. Did look them up. Some business website  said they dated back to 1946! Will have to look for  the diocese they are in  and see if they are listed.   Odd  they give the date of their founding as 1996 on their facebook page. Don't know what happened to their website.

I looked up Hopewell, Ohio. The county seat  is Zanesville ,Ohio and it is in the Diocese of Columbus, Ohio. For whatever reason could not get to the diocese  vocation page. Anyhow, you might want to contact the diocese. It could be they left Ohio  completely, and moved somewhere else, or maybe disbanded. Hard to really say.

It seems, according to the State of Ohio's business register, that they no longer exist - the final record is a filing of them merging out of existence in 2019. They seem to have merged with an organisation which promotes unapproved Marian apparitions against the instructions of the local bishop and the CDF, but there is no mention of the Order on that group's website. If the order still exists and is connected with this unapproved group, I would approach with caution.

On 12/1/2022 at 12:35 PM, HollyDolly said:

I looked up Hopewell, Ohio. The county seat  is Zanesville ,Ohio and it is in the Diocese of Columbus, Ohio. For whatever reason could not get to the diocese  vocation page. Anyhow, you might want to contact the diocese. It could be they left Ohio  completely, and moved somewhere else, or maybe disbanded. Hard to really say.

Actually, I think they were in Hopedale, OH which is the Diocese of Steubenville.  For awhile the Diocese of Steubenville has a reputation for allowing (and possibly even encouraging) unsustainable start-ups.  As far as I can tell, they don't even list Institutes of Consecrated Life, Societies of Apostolic Life, or Public Associations of the Faithful on their website (if they do have a list, it's pretty hard to find).  I also don't see evidence of a Vicar of Religious in that diocese.  

I'm aware of only one group based in the Diocese of Steubenville that seems stable.  They were founded before the current trend of a new founder/foundress emerging every year or two.  Even so, they have not survived the death of their founding members, nor have they survived the mid-life crises of their largest generation.  Time will tell of course, but they do seem more solid than others.

As for the community in question above, rosamundi's info seems accurate.  I was able to find names of five former members--four of whom don't seem to have an internet presence.  One seems to have transferred to the Diocese of Steubenville, got his seminary education, and then moved to an out-of-state community that I'd never heard of (not the one to which rosamundi was referring, though).  He's still listed on the Diocese's website, but is without an assignment.

Pope Francis is trying to reign in the practice of a handful of bishops who allow and encourage pseudo-communities.  Hopefully, this will lead to less devastation for young people who seek to live a legitimate religious life and instead end up devoting years of their lives to a foundress/founder's dream and are left with nothing in the end.

One of my curiosities is what happened to their property. They had a very well established chapel, and two rather large dormitories (that were not quite finished to my knowledge), plus some other residential buildings on the site. 

Thanks for the correction. It is possible that they sold the property back to the diocese. In the old days I believe there had to be a need for a new religious community, whether men or women.  Can't recall if they were strictly cloistered or not. 

A community founded to  provide home visits to the faithful,   home nursing, social work, etc. like the daughters of Charity,  especially for the needs of society as it is today might be welcome. And if they are like the Daughters of Mary, Mother of Healing Love, who formed from the Sisters of charity of Our Lady, Mother of the Church, Dominican Sisters of Mary,Mother of the Eucharist, Franciscan Sisters of St.John the Baptist, who sprang from another Franciscan group and so on, the sisters already have training and experience in their apostolates, and  are more likely I think to be stable. They can provide experience and training for new recruits.

There is a group out at Canyon Lake called the Mission of Divine Mercy in the Archdiocese of San Antonio. They have a website. Had a weird thought that maybe  some of their members could have moved here to Texas and just changed their name?  Canyon Lake is Northeast of San Antonio and near New Braunfels ,Texas, home of the largest Bucee's in the world.

4 hours ago, HollyDolly said:

Thanks for the correction. It is possible that they sold the property back to the diocese. In the old days I believe there had to be a need for a new religious community, whether men or women.  Can't recall if they were strictly cloistered or not. 

Communities are supposed to be founded only if they represent a new charism, NOT for instrumental reasons. The fact that this frequently has been ignored is not a reason to perpetuate the practice. See the article "Charism or Deep Story" in the old Review for Religious, which can be read at the Internet Archive: https://archive.org/details/sim_review-for-religious_may-june-1999_58_3/page/n3/mode/1up

On 12/5/2022 at 3:40 PM, KaytePost said:

One of my curiosities is what happened to their property. They had a very well established chapel, and two rather large dormitories (that were not quite finished to my knowledge), plus some other residential buildings on the site. 

I think the property now belongs to the group that the Order merged with. The group is extremely cagey about itself (the only thing under the "contact us" on their webpage is an email address, not a physical address) but I think from my poking around on the Ohio business register that the group's registered address is the same as the former Order's.

(I'm aware that I'm being cagey myself, but this group is definitely on the fringes, and I'm reluctant to name them directly or link to them).