An Old School Catholic Message Board

Is anyone familiar with the book Dominican Praise?

Lady Grey, Hot

Lady Grey, Hot

I attended a vocations event with the Dominican Sisters of Peace, and they mentioned that they use a book called Dominican Praise to pray the Liturgy of the Hours. One of the sisters in formation said she was especially compelled by its use of "inclusive language when referring to God." I wish I had had the presence of mind to ask exactly what that looks like; I was wondering if anyone here might know.

I looked briefly at the Amazon sample pages, but had an idea of what this might mean beforehand. I'm not completely sure I'm right, someone might row in with a better idea, but for example:

Dominican Praise uses this antiphon: 'Those who hunger are filled with good things; the rich are sent away empty'

iBreviary has it thus: 'He has filled the hungry with good things, and the rich he has sent away empty.' (emphasis my own_)

So God's action is in the passive voice (?) in Dominican Praise so that it is inclusive language. In more commonly used Breviaries (in my experience anyway), the psalms and antiphons are kept in the masculine 'he has done this' or 'onto him we...', etc. 

Maybe this sister meant that it's helpful for her not to always be considering God in terms of God the Father, as is often the assumption when people read the psalms/Scriptures in the usual publications/translations.

Lady Grey, Hot

@Tessa - thanks for doing this legwork. I would have had no clue what to look for. I feel like what you describe is at least a step above referring to God as "She" outright.

@Lady Grey, Hot I know it can be pretty vague in the beginning, but I was actually introduced to this concept with psalm 33 (34): This poor man called, and the Lord heard him and he rescued him from all his foes. 

which was changed to 'These poor ones called and the Lord heard them and rescued them from all their foes'. So it was both the people calling out to the Lord and the Lord that was inclusified. This first exposure for me was in context of singing the responsorial psalm.

Glad you have more of an idea of what it might mean now! You could take a look at those sample pages and see if you can spot some yourself!

You might also be interested in the version of the breviary produced 20+ years ago by the Indianapolis Carmel. It may now be out of print but is widely used. There are other inclusive versions, of course--these have been around for decades.