An Old School Catholic Message Board

Benedict XVI

little2add

Vatican City, Dec 28, 2022 / 03:48 am (CNA).

The Vatican confirmed Wednesday that pope emeritus Benedict XVI has experienced a sudden decline in his health, but is stable and under medical care.

4-DE30-D63-D989-4-DA5-AAE6-89-C604-B337-

78-B275-B6-393-D-4781-A3-A1-BB37-CC5-FD8

VATICAN CITY (AP) — Pope Emeritus Benedict XVI, the German theologian who will be remembered as the first pope in 600 years to resign, has has died, the Vatican announced Saturday. He was 95.

A statement from Vatican spokesman Matteo Bruni said: “With pain I inform that Pope Emeritus Benedict XVI died today at 9:34 in the Mater Ecclesia Monastery in the Vatican. Further information will be released as soon as possible.”

Edited by little2add

President Joe Biden will not attend Benedict XVI’s funeral

Vatican City, Jan 4, 2023 / 06:33 am

The White House press secretary has confirmed that President Joe Biden will not be attending the funeral of Pope Emeritus Benedict XVI on Thursday.

In response to a question from journalist Owen Jensen with EWTN News on Jan. 3, Karine Jean-Pierre said that “the U.S. ambassador to the Holy See, Joe Donnelly, will represent the United States at the funeral of the pope in line with the wishes of the late pope and the Vatican. 

Allegedly the late pope did not want Joe Biden attending his funeral because of his anti-catholic, pro abortion stance.

19 hours ago, little2add said:

Allegedly the late pope did not want Joe Biden attending his funeral because of his anti-catholic, pro abortion stance.

I teach the Modern Presidency. Do you have a source for the above statement? 

52 minutes ago, Nunsuch said:

. Do you have a source for the above statement? 

The story was reported by Newsmax 

https://www.newsmax.com/newsfront/biden-benedict-funeral/2023/01/04/id/1103015/

“ Snoops “ says the report is false!

while it is true, the Vatican requested Joe Biden not to attend , the official reason given was the late pope wanted to keep his funeral low-key…

I find the official reason hard to believe.  

2 hours ago, little2add said:

The story was reported by Newsmax 

https://www.newsmax.com/newsfront/biden-benedict-funeral/2023/01/04/id/1103015/

“ Snoops “ says the report is false!

while it is true, the Vatican requested Joe Biden not to attend , the official reason given was the late pope wanted to keep his funeral low-key…

I find the official reason hard to believe.  

So, the report is false, but you don't believe it? What you find hard to believe is not evidence. It is feeling. [I won't get into the unreliability of Newsmax--except to say that, if this were verifiable, it would be all over the media, which it is not.] The Vatican did not request President Biden not to attend. Benedict XVI said he wanted a simple funeral and didn't want official delegations. 

2 hours ago, Luigi said:

"Benedict XVI said he wanted a simple funeral and didn't want official delegations."

Ever heard of romanita?

I think it's doubtful that Nunsuch would invoke one of the founding virtues of Mussolini's Italian fascism (or for that matter, as a catchphrase/propaganda piece underlying the 'traditional' roots of modern fascism) in relation to a Pope who was falsely besmirched as an ardent Nazi, when he was a victim like every other German youth who was forced into the Hitler Youth, forced into conscription, and deserted as swiftly as was possible. Plus, his family as a whole was also ardently anti-Nazi, with his father losing his policing position when the Nazis centralized the state police forces into a national force and required fealty to the Party first. And yes an argument can be made that the Catholic idea of "romanita" is different than its original meaning (also couched in what we would now describe as fascism) in Ancient Rome, or the Mussolini Era that was within His Holiness's lifetime; however, I doubt he'd appreciate its use here, given that those who most push the concept now in the USA are the SSPX, a group of schismatics with whom Benedict XVI clashed many times.  But that's just my two cents based off my own knowledge of the word and its implications, and my reading of how carefully Nunsuch chooses her words to not be divisive, and be charitable towards others in all things. Plus that I think we can all agree, that His Holiness was, extremely anti-fascist, having lived through the horrors of the embodiment of what comes to mind in a fascist regime that forced him to serve it at gunpoint and under threat to all those he loved by extension.

Also holy cow, anyone else not know until he passed, that the late Pope Benedict XVI was being accused in some fascist conspiracist circles of being a "Secret Jew" descended from "sorcerers" and the Anti-Christ? Because I didn't.  

May he enter swiftly into the Presence of Christ, and may he find his Eternal Rest.  He was the Pope when I entered into the Church, and his books fill my personal religious library to this day. May we all look forward to the day we can say, "Saint Pope Benedict XVI, ora pro nobis!"

(Also since I apparently no longer am allowed to Edit my posts either, apologies if the tone came off shorter than intended. Southwest's gift to me this Christmas was an airport stranding, and now I'm running a 100.5 degree fever and can't breathe out my nose lol.  To be fair, a good time maybe to ask for Benedict's intercession?) 

(Reply three, it merges replies now! So it did edit! Neato.)

The Vatican published the last spiritual testament of Pope emeritus Benedict XVI a few hours after his death on Saturday, December 31st.  

@BG45 - Romanita precedes Mussolini by centuries. It's a way of speaking indirectly, of signaling without asserting, developed in the Vatican over innumerable pontificates. I don't personally know what the pope said about who should or shouldn't attend his funeral. I don't know what he meant by what he said. And I don't care, either. It doesn't have anything to do with me. I'm just saying that any understanding of any person's words (the pope, the president, the president's media-speaker) is an interpretation, based on the listener's fiddlers. 

14 hours ago, tinytherese said:

What do people think of this?

Francis Sabotages Benedict’s Funeral Service https://www.churchmilitant.com/news/article/francis-sabotaged-funeral-rites-for-benedict-xvi

I would not put much weight on such chattering.  Both popes are saintly men, and I cannot imagine papa Francis acting in such childish manner.  I would sooner wager than internal opponents of papa Francis are trying to tarnish the reigning pope for whatever reason, than wager papa Francis trying to take away limelight from B-XVI.

We are talking about popes here, not teenagers!