An Old School Catholic Message Board

This is what I’ve found in prayer

Alison

Okay, after spending some time in prayer I’ve come to realize more fully the gifts God has given me, and the desires that I have. It made me start to consider the Dominicans, but I have little to no attraction to studying advanced theology (i.e. St. Thomas Aquinas), because I feel like the errors of our modern age are different from that, if that makes sense. I feel more drawn to praying/sacrificing for  things such as what they are doing in public schools. I also feel torn because I have a gift for teaching, but am quite convinced I would do more good in the cloister (reaching those by prayer who can’t be reached by words, as the Dominicans at the St. Jude Monastery pointed out). Anyone got any ideas?

My Gifts 

Teaching the truths of the faith (I’m just gifted at making everything seem beautiful and exciting). Yesterday my dad (my dad) started tearing up at my speech, and I realized my words can have a serious impact on others. 

Writing comes very easy to me

My intellect seems pretty sharp 

Mental prayer comes very easy to me

My Desires 

To give my life that others (specifically certain people in my life and all those who are just completely brainwashed and far from God) may know the love and truth of Jesus Christ and His Church

A serious devotion to Mary and the Rosary

A deep sense of maternity

spiritual motherhood for priests

Full habit

Reverent liturgy

Have you considered the Carmelites? A keen intellect is important because they spend so much time in silent meditation, which you have indicated you have an inclination towards. They pray especially for priests, and we can't forget that St. Therese is the patron of missionaries.

1 hour ago, JHFamily said:

Have you considered the Carmelites? A keen intellect is important because they spend so much time in silent meditation, which you have indicated you have an inclination towards. They pray especially for priests, and we can't forget that St. Therese is the patron of missionaries.

Like cloistered or active Carmelites?

Hi! Can I ask if you've visited any communities? A lot of the things you list as your desires I think are common to many, if you're near and able maybe visit a cloister and an active community and see how God speaks to you in those two places and in the conversations you have with sisters. You spoke about doing more good in a cloister. I would hesitate there slightly, for instance if God is calling you to a teaching order then that is where you will do the 'most good', and likewise if it is to the cloister. It isn't something you can weigh objectively like that, in teaching you might 'only' touch the lives of your students but you can't begin to comprehend the grace that God might give you and your students by your teaching and example, to do amazing and marvellous things for His glory -  those kind of 'most use' calculations are rarely helpful and so far beyond us, only God truly knows and His plans are incredible! 

Sr Mary Catharine OP

I highly recommend a spiritual director and much time with our Lord to know what your deepest desires are. 

I would also suggest that you find out a little more about Dominicans and maybe a little better knowledge of the place of St. Thomas, the common doctor given to the Church. 

Study for Dominican Nuns is to know the Truth who is called so that we can better love Him we desire to know. It's not facts and knowledge for its own sake. 

this is just the beginning. Visit and get to know communities with an open mind and heart and you'll know where God is calling you!

St.JosephsRose

Definitely agreed with the above! Before you start making certain decisions, visit some communities first! The idea of certain communities and charisms is vastly different than actually living them. You never know what you might end up loving and feeling called to 😉