An Old School Catholic Message Board

Nun mom

UndividedlyHis

UndividedlyHis

Hello everyone. I am posting this using my daughter’s screen name. She used to post on this phorum and interact quite actively privately with some other discerning girls while she was discerning. I know this place has great meaning to her and she keeps everyone from PM on her prayers.

My daughter, named Elizabeth at baptism, entered a cloistered community in the fall of 2020. She was invested in 2021, and now is preparing her heart and soul for first vows. She is an example to me and many who knew her in the world. I feel so proud and humbled that she is my daughter, and has found such great delight in Jesus. It’s her who led my husband (deceased in 2020) and me to the Faith… and not the other way around. 

I decided to start this topic and just posting here maybe to share updates from her (she is allowed monthly letter to family), or communicate with others who may benefit from her experiences (like other discerners maybe). Or maybe even meet other parents of religious. It can feel a bit lonely when so few people understand you.

Please forgive me for any mistakes. We are not from the USA and English isn’t my first language. I will try my best to write clearly.

May God bless you and Mary keep you.

In Him,

Lana (UndividedlyHis’ mom)

Just a few days ago, I have returned from my first visit to my daughter’s monastery! It is quite far away from where I live, and I was not able to visit befor. First because of a death in the immediate family, then because of work schedule. So this was so long awaited.

I have had such a blessed time. I can see she is glowing. She has a beautiful relationship with her Superior and sister. She is in love with Jesus and working so hard on herself and on drawing closer to God. It was amazing to listen to her chant, to see her work her daily duties, to enjoy the beautiful monastery setting. It is very cozy there, and they were so hospitable and warm. They kept making delicious food for me, and gave gifts. I have also broght presents - sweets and coffee to the sisters, including my own home made pickles. My daughter loved them a lot when she still lived in the world.

She entered the monastery at 24, although she has been discerning since she was a teenager. She has always longed to be with Jesus more than anything else. 

Welcome to Vocation Station, and thank you for posting.  It is great to read about a woman's discernment and wonderful to know she is happy in her religious vocation.

There are several other "nun moms" with daughters in the cloister who post here.  Hopefully, they will read your post and respond.

UndividedlyHis

Thank you so much for your kind response and warm welcome! Also thank you from my heart to everyone else for your kind reactions and several PMs. It would be amazing t meet other people whose children have chosen to give themselves to the Lord in such a beautiful way. May God bless you all and please know you are in my prayers and my daughter’s prayers as well.