Question about the protoevangelium and Eden in relation to evolution

eustace-scrubb2

I was raised a fundie born-again creationist.  That changed over a decade ago.  Something I've never fully resolved, however, is how the Garden of Eden and the fall of man and protoevangelium exist without a literal understanding of Genesis.  I hear people say "Christianity and Judaism took a lot from paganism" and I don't have an intelligent, informed response to it.  Can someone help me out here?  I'm not at all looking for a debate, btw.  Just seeking theological help.

Btw for anyone who wasn't around for it, I posted here over a decade ago, while considering converting to Catholicism.  I ended up being chrismated in the Eastern Orthodox Church, but for a number of reasons I don't want to get into, left it for the Roman Church.

• Like 1

Not all of Genesis can be metaphorical.  All of Catholic theology, and our understand of salvation history, are built on the fact that there was a first man and woman, that they fell into sin, that we are affected as a result of that.

I'm not sure it's absolutely necessary to believe the universe was created in 6 days, or that 6 days in creation equate to the same time frame that 6 days are now.  But it is absolutely necessary, in order to be a Catholic, to believe God directly created the first man and woman, that they fell into sin, and that as a result the gates of heaven were closed, and concupiscence affects all of us, as "sons of Adam" and "daughters of Eve".

I too turned away from Creationism a number of years ago, but the more time goes on, and I see what's going on in the world today, the more I am willing to turn back to a literal understanding of much of Genesis.  At the very least, Creationism is more amenable to Catholic theology than modern scientific theories such as evolution or the big bang theory.

• Like 1

Thanks, but... I know.  What I'm asking is how theology and scientific data fit together.

I'll just ask a priest about this.

• 2 weeks later...

I considered it, but didn't know where I'd find it on there!

Also, lol at me - I have a close friend who works for their radio show! *smacks himself in the forehead*

Edit: oh goodness, those are more articles than I expected... :\

Edited by eustace-scrubb2
am dumb

On 1/31/2023 at 11:33 AM, eustace-scrubb2 said:

Edit: oh goodness, those are more articles than I expected... 😕

Yea, I feel overwhelmed with their search results too. Just one at a time and take breaks I guess.

On different note, I like your screen name since I'm a fan of The Chronicles of Narnia. The series played a role in my conversion from being lukewarm to devout in my faith.