An Old School Catholic Message Board

Margaret Sanger meets John Paul II

tinytherese

Instead of brawl between these figures, it would've been a fascinating conversation. JP2 would've listened yet pointed her to a better way.

she advanced a controversial "Negro Project," wrote in her autobiography about speaking to a Ku Klux Klan group and advocated for a eugenics approach to breeding for “the gradual suppression, elimination and eventual extinction, of defective stocks — those human weeds which threaten the blooming of the finest flowers of American civilization.”

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/07/21/nyregion/planned-parenthood-margaret-sanger-eugenics.html

her legacy also includes supporting eugenics, a discredited belief in improving the human race through selective breeding, often targeted at poor people, those with disabilities, immigrants and people of color.

She’s no saint by any means!

On 1/29/2023 at 5:04 AM, little2add said:

she advanced a controversial "Negro Project," wrote in her autobiography about speaking to a Ku Klux Klan group and advocated for a eugenics approach to breeding for “the gradual suppression, elimination and eventual extinction, of defective stocks — those human weeds which threaten the blooming of the finest flowers of American civilization.”

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/07/21/nyregion/planned-parenthood-margaret-sanger-eugenics.html

her legacy also includes supporting eugenics, a discredited belief in improving the human race through selective breeding, often targeted at poor people, those with disabilities, immigrants and people of color.

She’s no saint by any means!

I'm aware of her horrible practices and beliefs. Neither the host nor the guest justify her racism or eugenics. They certainly don't call her holy.

In her earlier days though, she had at least some valid concerns. She wanted freedom for women and education for how their bodies worked. How she applied them though was the problem. JP2 could've shared with her how The Church can provide all that and more ethically, including equipping men to responsibility and love. Living Catholicism is the best solution for empowering women.

I recommend listening to the whole episode to understand what I mean.

I believe this imaginary confrontation is overly optimistic.  

15 hours ago, tinytherese said:

I recommend listening to the whole episode to understand what I mean.

I did listen to couple of times to the episode, JP2 was a compassionate and understanding man of virtue. 

However, I totally disagree with the assumptions made in this video.  

SORRY

16 hours ago, tinytherese said:

Living Catholicism is the best solution for empowering women.

Absolutely I couldn't agree more.

On 1/31/2023 at 8:38 AM, little2add said:

I believe this imaginary confrontation is overly optimistic.  

I did listen to couple of times to the episode, JP2 was a compassionate and understanding man of virtue. 

However, I totally disagree with the assumptions made in this video.  

SORRY

Absolutely I couldn't agree more.

She may not have changed her views, but at least would've been presented with the truth to consider. As the Bible says, he'd plant seeds for conversion.

5 hours ago, tinytherese said:

She may not have changed her views,

“The road to hell is paved with good intentions"