An Old School Catholic Message Board

Mother Angelica story?

Seven77

so I thought I should post something here today on the centenary of the birth of Mother Angelica…

In the early 90s, my mother began to leave EWTN on in the living room. I said that it was driving me crazy that  I was the only one watching – – because I was sitting in my manual wheelchair and couldn't escape. However, I secretly enjoyed watching and listening to Mother Angelica. Many seeds were planted that blossomed later. In my high school days, I confiscated the TV along with my sister and  EWTN seemed all but snuffed out, except when my mother got a show or two in.  but the Holy Spirit was at work and eventually when I started to feel a pull to learn about the faith, I decide to watch nothing but EWTN for Lent.   I was addicted to TV and felt compelled to give it up for 40 days – – but I had to fill the void with something so I thought, "EWTN, why not?"  40 days…  40 days and  Nineveh was destroyed in all kinds of good ways…  I was transformed, I wanted nothing more to do than learn everything I could about  Christ • and His Church – – Mother Angelica made Jesus accessible and lovable to me.  I learned so much from  Mother Angelica.  There's so much more I  could say more but that's it for the moment.  She was so instrumental  for so many of us…  And so I was wondering, family, what are some of your Mother Angelica stories? M

tinytherese

One Saturday morning at 13, I channel flipped and landed on EWTN. I recognized a cartoon show on the Bible my religion class and I watched the year before. It was a different episode, but I viewed it anyway. I sort of liked some biblical stories at the time, like when The Prince of Egypt came out during elementary school.

I secretly viewed more shows, fearing what my parents would think. My dad is makes fun of religious stuff sometimes and for some reason thought my mom would think it as weird. *What will people do if they know that I'm a Jesus freak?* The devout people I was used to seeing were the elderly at my parish and fictional characters on The Simpsons who were not portrayed as positive examples of Christians.

I got hooked and my family took my new found faith better than I expected.

• 7 months later...