An Old School Catholic Message Board

Do Trappistines not have a tradition of taking religious names?

Lady Grey, Hot

Lady Grey, Hot

I've recently taken a cursory look at the different Trappistine monasteries in the United States, and I've noticed that even the ones that give off more traditional vibes seem to have sisters keeping their baptismal names. Is this, for whatever reason, a characteristically Trappistine thing?

I sometimes look at the website of Glencairn in Ireland. I recommend it.  Seems like some of the nuns keep their own names and some take a new saints name. Possibly they are allowed to choose now in some of the Abbeys.,

I suspect, like most communities today, Trappistines have a choice of keeping their baptismal names. Some communities have given up the idea of new names entirely. It would depend on the community. 

I remember a friend  of mine many years ago was incensed when one of the nuns who taught her became Sister Shirley. 

It varies from Sister to Sister in the US trappistines: mostly I know about Wrentham and Mississippi and some take new names and others don't. Discernment with the sister and the novice mistress/abbess.