An Old School Catholic Message Board

Which secular books, movies, etc. would you recommend to a woman going into a cloister?

Lady Grey, Hot

Lady Grey, Hot

I saw this on Reddit and thought it was quite a thought-provoking question. Full text replicated below:

Say a woman had arrangements to enter a cloistered community in a year's time. Which books, movies, TV shows, etc. would you recommend she take the opportunity to seek out while she is still "in the world"?

I'm not talking about spiritual classics or things that would explicitly prepare her for contemplative life, though you can float some of those if you would like. But what I'm more interested in are things (likely secular) which she would probably not have access to after entering, but which are so beautiful or edifying or significant that they would make a substantial positive contribution to her development as a person.

Why do you (or the author) assume that contemplatives would not have access to such things in community? Most monasteries have impressive libraries, use public libraries (and have access to a lot of stuff with ebooks, etc.), and some even have weekly movie nights (I long provided a Netflix membership to a group of Carmelites). Enclosure does not mean isolation! Enriching the mind is an integral part of enriching the spirit.

freedomreigns

Interesting question.  One thought I have, is that this person doesn't actually need my suggestions.  She should explore what she is interested in.  We aren't all inclined towards the same things and I would want her to look into and experience whatever she wants to.  She is going to have plenty of time to have her studies and life directed by others.  

Sponsa-Christi

Hmmm, honestly for me, I think I'd focus less on books and movies (since in a cloister it's still possible to read classic works of literature and even see films) and more on experiences like travel. If a nun-to-be hasn't been to Rome, I'd suggest making a pilgrimage there before entering if that was realistically possible. But even just seeing different and new parts of the United States might be worthwhile. 

• 3 weeks later...