An Old School Catholic Message Board

Carmel of the Holy Family of Erie, PA

graciandelamadrededios

graciandelamadrededios

from the SJA annual report:

The Erie Carmel was represented by Sr. Mary Agnes of the Immaculate Heart of Mary at the last Assembly in 2019. The process of this monastery’s affiliation to our Rochester Carmel was begun by my predecessor, Sr. Therese, who sent in a report to the Dicastery on the situation in August 2018. As President, I made the formal request for affiliation – with the approval of the Most Reverend Lawrence T. Persico – in July 2019, and the Dicastery approved this by a Decree dated September 30, 2019. However, when it became apparent that the affiliation would not bring about rejuvenation with only three Sisters remaining in the community, I assisted Bishop Persico at a Canonical Visitation of the Erie Carmel in September 2020.

The result of this Visitation report was to put into motion the suppression process for this monastery. All three of the remaining Sisters have been definitively transferred to other monasteries. The monastery building was emptied out and cleaned up during the summer and fall of 2021 and the difficult process of reinternment of the nine deceased Sisters buried at the Carmel was completed in June of this year 2022. The property on which the monastery was situated was donated by the Diocese of Erie and will revert to said Diocese. There are small amounts of added property which will be sold to the local bishop for a minimal amount. It is impossible to re-purpose the monastery building, so it will be demolished. At this time, the process for the suppression of the Erie Carmel has formally begun, the remaining funds of the monastery will be distributed to the monasteries that received the surviving Sisters, and the civil corporation of the monastery will be dissolved in accordance with the norms of law. 

Edited by graciandelamadrededios