An Old School Catholic Message Board

TWENTY-FIRST SUNDAY IN ORDINARY TIME A

cappie

Caesarea Philippi was a Roman town in Northern Israel right on the Syrian border. There were many religions in the area.   It is here that we meet Jesus in our Gospel passage today. Jesus has been quite busy since healing the Canaanite woman’s daughter in our reading last week. If we were to read the passages between last week’s reading and today’s, we would learn from Matthew that Jesus had cured many, fed four thousand men, plus women and children, with enough left over for seconds, and argued with religious leaders who demanded a sign from heaven confirming his identity. And as if that was not enough, Jesus realized that even the disciples, his trusted friends, did not appear to understand him or his mission.

So here on the road from Galilee to Jerusalem, at this crossroads of various world religions, commerce, and culture, Jesus ponders his mission and wonders about himself. 

And so, in Matthew 16:13-20, we witness a conversation that not only defines the identity of Jesus but also teaches us about the foundation of our faith.  

As we often do when we need to know the truth about ourselves – we ask our closest friends who have journeyed with us through thick and thin and seem to know us best, who also know what others are saying about us – Jesus asked, “What’s the word on the street? Who do people say that the Son of Man is?”

This question is not merely about public opinion though; it's an invitation to contemplate His true identity. The disciples share various opinions circulating among the people – John the Baptist, Elijah, Jeremiah, or another prophet.

Then, Jesus poses a more personal question: "But what about you? Who do you say I am?" One can imagine Jesus standing patiently and vulnerably waiting for a response – wondering if his followers understand his mission and vision – if they are willing to take a risk – if they love him enough to make a confession out loud. Peter, filled with divine revelation, boldly declares, "You are the Christ, the Son of the living God." This confession marks a significant turning point – the disciples recognizing Jesus as the long-awaited Messiah.

Jesus affirms Peter's confession, acknowledging that this insight was not solely from human understanding but from God the Father. He says, " Simon son of Jonah, you are a happy man! Because it was not flesh and blood that revealed this to you but my Father in heaven."

Jesus then makes a powerful declaration about Peter himself:     " So I now say to you: You are Peter, and, on this rock, I will build my Church." Here, Jesus is not saying that Peter himself is the foundation, but rather the revelation Peter received – that Jesus is the Messiah, the Son of God – is the bedrock upon which the Church will be built.

Jesus continues by giving Peter a unique authority: "I will give you the keys of the kingdom of heaven: whatever you bind on earth shall be considered bound in heaven; whatever you loose on earth shall be considered loosed in heaven." This authority to bind and loose is not just for Peter but for the Church as a whole. It speaks to the power of the Church, guided by the Holy Spirit, to make decisions in accordance with the will of God.

As believers today, this passage holds timeless truths for us:

Just as Peter recognized Jesus as the Messiah, we must continually reaffirm our belief in Christ's identity as the Son of God. In a world of diverse opinions, we must stand firm in our faith.

The Church is not built on human wisdom or opinions but on the revelation of Christ's identity. Our faith must be firmly established in the truth of who He is.

As part of the Church, we are called to discern God's will and make decisions that align with His Word.

The rock of faith upon which we build our lives is the revelation that Jesus is the Messiah, the Son of the living God. Let us remember that our faith is not just built on doctrines but on a personal relationship with Christ. May we continue to seek that revelation through prayer, study, and devotion, and may the Church stand strong as we hold fast to the truth of Christ's identity and the authority, He has entrusted to us.

1-2.jpeg