An Old School Catholic Message Board

Should smartphones  be banned in classrooms?

little2add

More schools are moving to limit or outright ban the use of cellphones inside and outside the classroom.

mobile phones pose a serious challenge in terms of distraction, disruptive behavior, and bullying.

the presence of smartphones in the classroom – and constant notifications from apps – has been blamed for causing disruption, as well as fuelling cyber-bullying and thefts. In June, Finland became the latest country to ban phones in class in a bid to reverse a decline in exam results.

The following month, a major United Nations report recommended smartphones should be banned to improve learning and tackle classroom disruption and cyberbullying.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-12582161/Mobile-phones-banned-schools-education-secretary-Gillian-Keegan-set-announce-dramatic-intervention-relief-millions-parents-teachers.html

Thoughts?

Smartphones should be banned for all children, everywhere, except if needed for emergency use only.  I would support legal precedents against children having smartphones, generally.

A friend once equated, giving a child access to the Internet, is the same as letting them walk down a dark alley in New York City, in the middle of the night, alone.

There is a lot of truth in that scenario.

As far as I'm concerned, phones with Internet access should not be allowed for minors.   Just like alcohol or cigarettes.

Edited by little2add

in a presentation I had an opportunity to see awhile ago, the point was made that people (youth in particular) are addicted to smart phone and social media because of the dopamine rush people (youth in particular) get by having "likes"

said another way people (youth in particular) have been conditioned (trained) to interact w/ smart phone and social media because doing so is how many corporations like Facebook and TikTok make money (via advertising)

actually learned long ago that Silicon Valley startups like "myspace" back in the day were conditioning (training) users to be addicted, so never was very interested in having a smart phone,... basically it was only this year that I upgraded from a flip phone AND purchased my first "smartphone"

AND even now I don't turn on my iPhone unless I have "text" or actually "talk" (basically I use my iPhone only when needed,... so I'm on it only about 10 minutes a day)

Credo in Deum

A part of me says yes, we should ban them. Then a part of me says no, given that a lot of teachers' creepy behavior and ideologies are being exposed by kids with the smartphones. 

22 hours ago, Credo in Deum said:

A part of me says yes, we should ban them. Then a part of me says no, given that a lot of teachers' creepy behavior and ideologies are being exposed by kids with the smartphones. 

Like.

We do seem to have crossed a line where now there are no good changes we can make that would fix this.

A parent still has a choice, at least in the USA, to pull their kids from public school, generally speaking.  My heart goes out to those who, through no fault of their own, have no choice.

All we are left with is prayer.

New York proposes limiting ‘addictive’ social media for children

Among the bill details:

Provide users under 18 with a default chronological feed from users they already follow. Users may also search for specific topics of interest. Minors may opt in to receiving addictive feeds with parental consent.

Allow parents to block access to social media platforms for minors between the hours of midnight and 6 a.m. and limit the total number of hours per day that a minor spends on platforms.

Prohibit social media platforms from sending notifications to minors from midnight to 6 a.m. without parental consent.

https://www.timesunion.com/education/article/new-york-proposes-limiting-addictive-social-18419652.php

On 10/13/2023 at 5:10 AM, little2add said:

New York proposes limiting ‘addictive’ social media for children

Among the bill details:

Provide users under 18 with a default chronological feed from users they already follow. Users may also search for specific topics of interest. Minors may opt in to receiving addictive feeds with parental consent.

Allow parents to block access to social media platforms for minors between the hours of midnight and 6 a.m. and limit the total number of hours per day that a minor spends on platforms.

Prohibit social media platforms from sending notifications to minors from midnight to 6 a.m. without parental consent.

https://www.timesunion.com/education/article/new-york-proposes-limiting-addictive-social-18419652.php

Sigh,... elected officials, teachers AND adult voters should perhaps ponder the expression "Do As I Say, Not As I Do" (in other words acknowledge that they most likely are hypocrites that have trouble focusing on tasks for any length of time without being easily distracted)

720p-00-C-thumbnail-climate-change-brief

720p-02-thumbnail-climate-change-brief-t