An Old School Catholic Message Board

Feed Your Ears

Luigi

Luigi

"Hold Fast to the Right" was written in 1906 by James D. Vaughn; the Carter Family (including June's mother, Maybelle Addington Carter) recorded it in 1938; Johnny & June Carter Cash recorded it in 2004, when both of them were old, for a Carter Family tribute album; their son, John Carter Cash produced the album. The song is a mother's advice to her son as he is about to leave the family home and go out into the world. 

Luigi

I know I've posted several other recordings by Sister Shirley Caesar, but I just think she's one of the best Gospel singers in the nation. This is "Loose That Man." It involves "an old mother," meaning 'a church mother,' not necessarily the mother of the man referenced. What impresses me about this song, and also about "Satan, We're Gonna Tear Your Kingdom Down" (page 6 of this thread, 4th song down), is that these women feel fully confident to confront the devil directly, and tell him what to do, too! That takes some real faith. She sets the context at the beginning and then starts singing. 

The Hag (Merle Haggard) wrote and sings "Mama's Prayers" in which he narrates examples of being saved from dangerous situations, which he attributes to his mother's prayers. He did do time in San Quentin, so these examples are probably true. 

Wikipedia says: "If I Could Hear My Mother Pray Again" (1922) is a popular gospel song written by John Whitfield "Whit" Vaughan (1879–1945), as a tribute to his own mother, Clara Beady Burgess-Vaughan. The words are based on a text by James Rowe, an English settler living in Georgia during the early twentieth century. A 1934 recording of the song by Thomas A. Dorsey was selected in 2007 by the United States' National Recording Preservation Board for preservation in the National Recording Registry. 

Posted (edited)

"I Remember Mama" is one of Shirley Caesar's signature songs. Shirley was the youngest of twelve children and lost her father at a young age; her mother raised the children largely on her own. My mother had basically the same experience - 13 children and their father died when the oldest was 19 and the baby was 5 months old, so I have some vicarious insight into that part of the story. At the beginning of the video, the woman standing next to Shirley is her sister Ann, and the other adults in the later shots are her real brothers and sisters. Shirley sings about her mother and about her own conversion experience as a child. 

Edited by Luigi

"Calling My Children Home" was written by three men - Charles Waller, Doyle Lawson, Robert Yates - who were members of the bluegrass group The Country Gentlemen. But when it's sung by Dolly Parton, Emmylou Harris, and Linda Ronstadt, it sounds like it was written from a woman's perspective. It wasn't written as a Gospel song per se, but Christian themes run through it, and it's perfect for Mother's Day. 

Mother's Day is past but I don't feel compelled to give up the theme just yet. "I Heard My Mother Call My Name in Prayer" was written in 1919 by E. M. Bartlett and it's been around ever since and been recorded by everybody, too. This is a guy name Galeon Smith - never heard of him! I think he's still alive and recording videos for YouTube. But he does a very straightforward version of the song - nothing fancy, not even any harmony, but clear pronunciation, printed lyrics, and real good mandolin work. 

I will add, though, that this song includes the Protestant concept that once one has "given one's life to Jesus," one is saved completely and forever, and sin is no longer a problem. It's not a Catholic concept, which is why a lot of Gospel songs are not appropriate for Catholic liturgies or even prayer services, retreats, etc. 

Edited by Luigi

Tom T. Hall wrote "Grandma Whistled." It's not a Gospel song as such, but it does indicate that Gospel music used to be just a normal, everyday part of life. I've heard Tom T's original recording, and I like it. But I decided to post a recording by a group called Riverview Gospel Bluegrass of Morrilton, Arkansas. I've never heard of them, but one of them does some mighty fancy whistling in the song's outro. 

Here's Ralph Stanley singing "A Mother's Prayer." I don't know who wrote it or when. I tried looking it up online, but my computer is being unreasonably slow this evening, so I gave up. 

"When Mama Prayed" was written by Paul Overstreet (a very good friend of Merle Haggard) and Rory Lee Feek (such a name!). This recording is by Randy Travis - I've always loved his voice and his attitude. It's not the best or the most interesting song I've posted, but it does show that the role of Mama, and respect given to her faith, are still very much alive in the pop/Gospel traditions. 

This is Dolly Parton from 55 years ago, singing her own composition "Mama Say a Prayer." As always, Dolly sings about real life, and sings about it honestly. I'll have another "mama song" tomorrow, and then I'll move on. 

"Will My Mother Know Me There" is a reflection on how much one has changed physically since Mother passed away. This version is by Doc Watson and his family. Doc Watson is one of the greatest guitarists this country has ever produced, and he has a fine singing voice. This recording, however, borders on primitive. It was recorded 2006, so the recording quality is fine, but the style is quite simple. It's the kind of sound one would hear if everyone were sitting on the front porch of a country cabin after supper. If you want to hear other versions, look for this title by The Carter Family, or by Ricky Skaggs and The Whites. 

Edited by Luigi