An Old School Catholic Message Board

FOURTH SUNDAY OF ADVENT B

cappie

Our Gospel brings us to the edge of Christmas. It is the story of the Annunciation. The angel Gabriel is sent by God to the town of Nazareth, to a virgin whose name was Mary.  

In our Gospel, Gabriel explains: “Do not be afraid, Mary, for you have found favour with God. And now, you will conceive in your womb and bear a son, and you will name him Jesus.”   By the power of the Holy Spirit, Mary will conceive a son, and he will be named Jesus, and he will be called the Son of the Most High. An angelic message, Gabriel’s announcement, the Annunciation of the birth of our Lord!

Mary’s response to Gabriel has much to say about Christian faith that we ought to notice before rushing to the manger. The important thing about Mary isn’t simply that she gave birth to Jesus, but rather that she heard the word of God and responded in faith.  Mary may rightly be seen as Theotokos, the God-bearer, because she gave birth to Jesus. But it is her response to the word of God that makes Mary the model of Christian discipleship.

The first thing to notice is that after Gabriel delivers his message, Mary says, “How can this be?” Now, on the one hand, this is a very understandable question. We have been told Mary was not married, that she was a virgin. How, then, is she going to have a baby? Good question.

But, on the other hand, think for a moment about the Annunciation. The angel Gabriel appears to Mary and announces that she will conceive and bear a son. Surely, in this case, the messenger has to be considered. No less than an archangel with a direct message from God appears to Mary. Perhaps, some of us would be forgiven for thinking: What more do you want?  

Not so for Mary. Rather, Mary says, “Umm, excuse me, but how can this be? Remember, I’m not married?”  Gabriel, he explains to Mary how this will all take place. The Holy Spirit will come upon her and the power of the Most High will overshadow her.

That the angel Gabriel takes seriously the question of the teenaged Mary and responds tenderly is gracious. That Mary has the courage to ask the question in the first place is inspiring. It shows genuine faith. God does not overpower us with the full weight of heavenly glory to compel us to believe and to act in faith. What the angel says is not entirely clear to Mary and God honours her question. God invites Mary’s assent. So, when she finally says, “Here am I, the servant of the Lord, let it be with me according to your word,” Mary is the model of Christian faith. Blessed are those who hear the word of God and respond like Mary. With wonder and questions and faithful assent.

Also note, Gabriel sends Mary to see her kinswoman, Elizabeth, whose own extraordinary pregnancy will be a sign of the truth of his message. Again, Gabriel could have pulled archangelic rank. But instead, he invites Mary to check out the message with another flesh-and-blood human. Here again, Mary is a model of discipleship. We can’t do it alone. God doesn’t expect us to do it alone. Mary doesn’t just talk with angels. She visits Elizabeth. She helps Jesus along with his first miracle at the wedding at Cana. She stands with the beloved disciple at the foot of the cross. She gathers with the disciples in the upper room awaiting the coming of the Holy Spirit. Mary is the model of discipleship among the disciples. God gives us families and church families to help along the way. Mary, the Mother of our Lord, was sent to her cousin to be strengthened in her understanding of God’s message. Blessed are those who hear the word of God and respond like Mary.

This is the last Sunday of Advent. Tonight, this sanctuary will be transformed, and we will celebrate the feast of the Incarnation. But before we sing, “O Come All Ye Faithful,” let’s remember the faith of Mary. Marvel again at the angelic message that Mary will bear a son and name him Jesus and he will be called the Son of the Most High. Wonder with her how this can be. See the gracious sign in a pregnant kinswoman. And hear the heavens rejoice when Mary finally says, “Here am I, the servant of the Lord, let it be with me according to your word.” Blessed are those who hear the word of God and respond like Mary.

1.gif