An Old School Catholic Message Board

Interview with Mother Anne of Des Plaines Carmel - Part 2

graciandelamadrededios

graciandelamadrededios

2.) An oriental rug was stolen from your chapel some time ago – I hope the thief later received the grace of conversion?? Are there any other anecdotes (serious or funny) that YR would like to share?

The theft of the chapel rug was only the second “home invasion” we have had in over 60 years, thanks be to the monastery’s Guardian Angel. Way back in 1960, when we had only the first wing, someone tried to break in through the large parabola-shaped windows of the uncompleted courtyard side, but when some of the Sisters woke up to the sound of breaking glass and turned on the lights, he fled; since then we have kept two watchdogs in the community to help the Guardian Angel in his job!

In March 1993, we were at prayer before Mass on a Sunday morning. We used to unlock the Chapel door after Lauds and would normally hear people arrive during prayer time: the vestibule door made a unique noise when it was opened. That morning we heard that sound at a rather earlier time than normal. Of course we all had nice thoughts about the pious person or persons who were coming to Mass so early. After Mass, when the sacristy Sisters went out to take care of the altar, the rug in the sanctuary was gone. What we did not know was that there was a rash of oriental rug thefts in Chicagoland going on at that time (one involved “cleaning men” who entered a church during Saturday choir practice, rolled up the rug and left with no questions asked). We think that someone must have “cased” the chapel to pull off the theft. We did get an extensive alarm system after this, and when the technician asked our Mother Catherine what the “valuables” were she was most concerned about, she replied, “The Sisters.”

Naturally, we still pray for those who broke in and those who stole the rug, and we hope that they received the grace of conversion!

I will tell an amusing story on myself. Though the people of Chicagoland are very generous, we have always tried to have a vegetable garden in the yard. We do best with cabbage, onions, tomatoes, eggplant, beans, peppers and zucchini. When I was a young nun in the kitchen, we first tried to make sauerkraut for the winter months. The mother of our Mother Catherine was an expert in this “science,” and she gave us some of her tips. Of course, she was one of those chosen souls who did not need written instructions for what she did so well. She gave us the method for putting up the cabbage, how to prepare the crocks, etc., then added, “and you just throw in a handful of salt per layer of cabbage.” What I did not take into account was that my hands were gigantic compared to hers. So, the cabbage did not “sour,” it was just “preserved.” We had lots and lots of cabbage noodles at meals during that particular winter.