An Old School Catholic Message Board

Penances Thoughts of Fr. Karol Kraj, O.C.D. (question & answer format)

graciandelamadrededios

graciandelamadrededios

The Nuns of Santa Fe Carmel in Argentina transcribed portions of the Video-Conference provided by Father Karol and was shared to St. Joseph's Association.  Mother Mary Bethany, Subprioress of Georgetown Carmel translated this from Spanish to English.

Santa Fe: We would like to know if the use of the discipline and hair shirt is still in force? We would also like to know about this topic of penances in relation to Novices. Do you think they should be introduced to the use of the hairshirt?

Father Karol: Penance, in and of itself, is not pleasant and is not accepted by everyone in the same way. For this very reason it is penance, i.e. something difficult, something not usually done, something out of the ordinary. There are, of course, different forms of penance which are practiced in different ways, but one thing is definite: penance is still valid in our day, in spite of our weaknesses and disinclinations. But as the Church points out, one should make sure that a particular form of penance fulfills the objective in doing penance.

From this point of view, it is more difficult to give an answer. It would seem that these forms of penance cannot be imposed, but if a Community uses them, they can be proposed. But not imposed because it is an extreme and difficult form of penance. If it is proposed there should be a clear explanation for why this form of penance is used.

Always be very careful not to over emphasize these extraordinary penances and neglect to point out the importance of the penances that are part of everyday life. In the very first place, it is necessary to educate those who enter so that they will be able to embrace these latter. Educate in such a way that those who come will be able to embrace our life with a spirit of penance. If this takes place, then we can consider adding something more. But if this, which is fundamental, indispensible and not optional, does not take place, it is not appropriate and may even be harmful to offer another type of penance.

Another point: this “other type” of penance could be ambiguous to those who have not known or experienced their own dignity, since they can make of this type of penance a form of self-hate. This would be inadmissible as we do not have this right. (...)

It is also true that there are people who find it difficult to live peacefully with themselves. I do not want to use the expression “accepting oneself”, because even though this is widely used, it is a term that should be used only in passing, because God does not accept anyone, God loves everyone. He loves what He has created. He does not accept. The difference lies in accepting oneself or not. Those who do not, live as in a cage: there one cannot live. When one has difficulties living, embracing and celebrating life, it may be that the missing step is acceptance of self. (...)

It would be very dangerous to invite this person to use a hair shirt, because they may use it for self-punishment. This is not the purpose of penance. As St. John of the Cross says, the reason for penance is to educate our appetites, our self-will, to educate ourselves in order to strengthen our will to make good choices. Of course, there are also penances of intercession for the intention of making reparation. But, be careful, 13 because before penances are done in reparation for others, one must first make reparation for one’s own sins.

Santa Fe: In our Community, for example, the use of the hair shirt is kept as a custom. But as you present it, it seems that it cannot be maintained in this way, but rather each Sister should speak about it with the Prioress.

Father Karol: It can remain as a custom but with a different dynamic. That is to say, when one wants to use a hair shirt one must first ask permission of the Prioress or at least discuss the issue with her. So it is possible to safeguard the custom, but the way in which it is done should change. I have mentioned this many times at Association Meetings. It was precisely on this topic that a Prioress spoke to me at one of these encounters. She said to me: “...some novices and junior professed ask about using these forms of penances.” And the Prioress did not know how best to respond to their requests. It was possible to see by her question that her Community did not practice those penances, but were remembered from the past, and so some wanted to renew the practice. I responded to her by saying: “Yes, it is possible to use this as a practical and concrete form of penance. But first it is necessary to discern well, above everything, the motivations of those who are asking to use this act of penance.” And I added something very important: “It is necessary to verify first if the person fulfills their everyday, ordinary duties. Because if they are not completing these tasks, there will be little sense in granting permission to do extraordinary penances.” When we do extraordinary things, it is very likely that we do not live in reality, but “make up” our own spiritual life. It is also evident that one may find more satisfaction in doing extraordinary things. To do the ordinary does not produce as much satisfaction. This is why I consider that the best thing is to take each case separately, precisely because we are dealing with the extraordinary. What is ordinary is for everyone. (...)

I have said that penance has two reasons or ends: to educate one in strengthening the will and to use it to intercede or in the service of reparation. I was referring to this last purpose of reparation when I said that it is necessary to come to a certain level in the spiritual life in order to discern if the penance does in fact serve this purpose. And so these two ends for doing penance are something that are common for all and at all times. Novices only need an introduction, a catechesis. It is necessary to introduce the Novice while making sure that she does not use the penance article as an instrument against herself. This happens too often, more often than we would think!