An Old School Catholic Message Board

Here is another extract of Father Karol’s meeting with our Sisters in Santa Fe, Argentina last year. The Sisters asked him about the principles of proper Community discernment in making decisions.

graciandelamadrededios

graciandelamadrededios

The Nuns of Santa Fe Carmel in Argentina transcribed portions of the Video-Conference provided by Father Karol and was shared to St. Joseph's Association.  Mother Mary Bethany, Subprioress of Georgetown Carmel translated this from Spanish to English.

Santa Fe: Just now, you got through saying that there are important things, and one must know how to make distinctions; that doesn’t mean that the secondary things should be thrown out, but that they must take their rightful place. This is just in time to make a community discernment. I am going to pose a very specific community discernment: in order to have the videoconference, we removed this grille (which is one of the two that we used to have), the one that was on the outside, all right? Because unless we did that, it would be impossible for the conference to be seen, so, then we said, “After it’s over, we ought to get together in community to evaluate if we’re going to put the grille back again or not?” We’ve made another small speakroom here that only has one grille. What I’d like to know is, what are the points of reference, the limits or framework that you’ve been speaking about, for us to bear in mind, in order to make the discernment that we need. Not that you may tell us an answer about what has to be done without the points of reference.

Father Karol: Yes. In order to propose and prepare for a discernment that is so specific in nature, you have to take a clean sheet of paper, and write some things on it: The Constitutions 3 concerning enclosure say thus and so... Verbi Sponsa says thus and so... Now, the question: “Is it necessary to return to the way it was before, or may we decide not to?” Then, you have to listen to the separate opinions of all the Sisters. Some might say, “yes we have to go back to the way it was, you don’t even have to talk about it. There have to be two, maybe up to three grilles. If we’ve got the money, we should take this opportunity now to put a grille in between the other two. Then we’ll have three, right?” So you have to listen to all the opinions. The important thing is to listen to all of them, because community discernment consists of this: that each one – all of us – see the same reality, the same issue, but from different points of view. If I was looking at the community from here, and someone asked me “What do you see?” I would say: “This, and this, and this.” And if the question was put to someone else, being here in the same place, that person would say “this, and this, and this.” And someone could ask, “How are so many differences possible?” Well, it’s possible, because everyone sees from her own distinct perspective. Therefore, it’s important to have all the voices speak up. Why? Because only all the voices describe what they see. These opinions give us a composite of views which may be “pro” or “con.”

Then you always have to take the pro’s and the con’s and compare them to Verbi Sponsa and the Constitutions in order to know what to do in this case, what fits with them and what doesn’t fit with them. For example, one Sister could say, “Yes, let’s put the grille back up, but if this is going to be too much work, or if we’ll just take it down once again, then maybe it’s better not to do it.” Another could say “No, no, no. It’s important to look at the expense, because we aren’t a bank.” Personally, I don’t want to say anything definite about this, because it’s you as a community who has to discern this.

Here is a pretty important thing, which is not respected very much when people are making a community discernment. During the time of discernment, each one can have his or her own proper vision, his or her proper opinion. This is good for as long as it takes to arrive at a decision that is truly the result of the discernment. Then, what result is left with the community? --- a community decision. Then, after arriving at the decision, someone can’t say “I don’t accept that.” No – you can’t say that. Why? Because the community discernment terminates with the community decision. That is why it is very important to have a lot of respect for the rules of community discernment in order to avoid manipulations and errors. Also, in order not to discriminate against anyone, in order to listen to everyone and to evaluate all the opinions. But, as soon as you have arrived at the conclusion, that ends the possibility of someone being able to say, “I have another opinion.” No. The community decision is final. Discernment is clearly not a job that is accomplished according to democratic principles. It is not sufficient, for example, if the majority wants to put back the grille, and the rest do not. Because that would not be discernment, but rather a decision. Discernment is something different. It does not depend on whether the majority or the minority are in the right. So, someone could say, “then you’ll never come to know what to do.” Nevertheless, it is possible. For this, the community has to pray. Through means of discernment, they have to search for, and desire to come to discover, what is the most pleasing thing to God. This is fundamental. For it is here where the community decides and discerns. Not be applying the rules of democracy.