An Old School Catholic Message Board

Parents

M.SIGGA

[quote name='Nathan' date='Dec 20 2005, 10:24 AM']My dad doesn't take my vocation to the priesthood -- that is, if I have one and I think that I do -- very seriously at all. He thinks it's just a phase, as he does my very conversion to Catholicism I'm sure. So I don't talk to him about it. Anyway, he's an agnostic who was formerly a lifelong Protestant (Presbyterian). I don't expect him to understand Catholic vocations.

My mom isn't Catholic either, but she's a lot cooler about it. She had a few concerns when I had intially expressed an interest in the priesthood -- she thought that I was trying to "escape from responsiblity," until I explained to her how hard Catholic priests work, especially parish priests, and how long and rigorous priestly formation can be -- but she has slowly come to embrace the idea. Now she tells everybody that her son is going to be a priest.

I think my mom befriending my RCIA intructor/mentor, a great and wise old gentleman, really helped a lot in that department. She's a barber and hairstylist, and she cuts his hair every couple of weeks.
[right][snapback]831647[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Nathan, it's so awesome that your mom is excited about your vocation. I wouldn't expect your dad to understand a vocation to the priesthood either.

I haven't told my parents of my vocation but I plan to tell them after Christmas while I'm still at home for break. They attend a non-denom church but I think that at heart, my dad is an agnostic. I don't expect them to understand my vocation either. I expect more anger than anything ("You're throwing your life away.") type of stuff. Because I go to a fairly good school, it will be a little harder for my parents to even accept the fact that I want to become a Dominican nun and not use my degree to make a lot of money. In the cloister, It will be used in other ways, I'm sure!

[quote name='Nathan' date='Dec 20 2005, 10:24 AM']My dad doesn't take my vocation to the priesthood -- that is, if I have one and I think that I do -- very seriously at all. He thinks it's just a phase, as he does my very conversion to Catholicism I'm sure. So I don't talk to him about it. Anyway, he's an agnostic who was formerly a lifelong Protestant (Presbyterian). I don't expect him to understand Catholic vocations.

My mom isn't Catholic either, but she's a lot cooler about it. She had a few concerns when I had intially expressed an interest in the priesthood -- she thought that I was trying to "escape from responsiblity," until I explained to her how hard Catholic priests work, especially parish priests, and how long and rigorous priestly formation can be -- but she has slowly come to embrace the idea. Now she tells everybody that her son is going to be a priest.

I think my mom befriending my RCIA intructor/mentor, a great and wise old gentleman, really helped a lot in that department. She's a barber and hairstylist, and she cuts his hair every couple of weeks.
[right][snapback]831647[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
Nathan, your approach is very wise in my opinion. I especially like this comment, "I don't expect him to understand Catholic vocations." This is very accurate. It also means that you have a lot of prayer and work to do in his regard.

My mom is like super happy I want to be a nun but she wnats me to do it on her time. I think some where deep down she would rather me just like raise me little brother first and then become a nun though she hasnt said it out right she has implied such things. My dad well he is not Catholic and ever since he left a year ago I think he sees my vocation as crazy but also he doesnt care a whole lot about it. Anyway while I wait to enter the cloister I just pray for both of them always and try to see them to obey them perfectly and be a pleasing daughter in the eyes of the Lord. I am not very good at that yet but my strength lies in my Jesus and He ALWAYS helps me. God bless and Mary keep you
Karin

photosynthesis

sometimes God uses hostile parents' reactions to show us something.. I told my mom i was thinking about becoming a sister over a year ago, and it broke my heart. But now I look back, and I don't think I was discerning religious life for the right reasons (i.e. i was very afraid of marriage and single life, so i was running from those vocations to religioius life )

Thanks for everyone's insight. Short of actually figuring out what God wants me to do, this is the next hardest part about discerning. I've been discerning for about 6 months now and I still haven't told my parents that I think I'm being called to the religious life. I used to think that the hardest part would be talking to a vd but now that I've done that, it doesn't seem nearly as hard as telling my parents. :ohno: I really don't want to because I fell like it'll only make discerning more difficult.

[quote name='magnificat' date='Dec 20 2005, 06:29 PM']Thanks for everyone's insight.  Short of actually figuring out what God wants me to do, this is the next hardest part about discerning.  I've been discerning for about 6 months now and I still haven't told my parents that I think I'm being called to the religious life.  I used to think that the hardest part would be talking to a vd but now that I've done that, it doesn't seem nearly as hard as telling my parents.  :ohno:  I really don't want to because I fell like it'll only make discerning more difficult.
[right][snapback]832144[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

I know exactly what you mean. I am in the same boat. Pray for your parents, pray a novena for them in fact. What will make discernment more difficult is if you [i]don't[/i] tell them. Trust me, it's trying to keep secret the most important One in your life from the people you love and that is not easy. So pray to Our Lord to show you the right time to tell them. Also, have others pray for you whenever you decide to tell your parents. I am praying for you also!