hopeful1 Posted August 3, 2004 Posted August 3, 2004 I know that we're the only ones who really show the blessed virgin mary any devotion at all (besides orthodox churches), but my understanding is that Anglicans/episcopalians also ask for her intercession, and some Lutheran churches also beginning to give her more recognition. However, what about more evangelical churches? My guess is that there's not much said about her at all, other than she gave birth to Jesus and the possible anti-catholic propaganda. but has there been any recognition of mary at all in recent years, like maybe a bible study or something? even something around Christmas? anything? I would just like to know so i can give a quick blurb about how she's beginning to be recognized in other churches in the intro of my presentation.
WCC_Catholic Posted August 3, 2004 Posted August 3, 2004 mary is not mentioned that much in the evangelical churches at all.
hopeful1 Posted August 3, 2004 Author Posted August 3, 2004 i realize that, because they feel like it's diverting attention away from God. I guess i should have specified i was looking from the experience of some converts, but i was wondering what has been mentioned, in the way of maybe a bible study (like maybe a reflection how her response to Gabriel and her willingness to God's will should reflect our relationship with God), or somekind of reflection around Christmas. I don't think it would be much more than that, but has there been anything at all?
MorphRC Posted August 3, 2004 Posted August 3, 2004 The only time Mary is mentioned in their churches is that she bore Christ, they dont, well dont say, that they recognize if she didnt accept, the whole thing could have gone AWOL[sry bout the language ].
Sojourner Posted August 3, 2004 Posted August 3, 2004 I read somewhere that some Hispanic Protestant congregations in the Southwest U.S. show devotion to Mary. I'll see if I can find that article somewhere ...
MorphRC Posted August 3, 2004 Posted August 3, 2004 Are they converts to protestantism, or were they brought up in the church? Coz i doubt that if they were brought up prot, theyd believe.
cathgirl Posted August 3, 2004 Posted August 3, 2004 I had a friend that grad. a couple years ago who went to an evangelical church. They, or his church at least, didn't believe that she was their mother and we were always debating about it. It didn't seem like he respected her at all!!
cmotherofpirl Posted August 3, 2004 Posted August 3, 2004 They have actually not given much thought to the matter. They forget, ignor or gloss over several important details: They forget about the importance of their own mom to their development. Unlike us, God got to choose his mom, so she must have been wonderful. He spent 30 years living at home with mom, so he was a definite mama's boy. His public ministry started because she asked for a miracle, even though he said it was not yet time. He used her as an example of those who followed God. At his death, He gave her care to his best friend the Apostle John.
homeschoolmom Posted August 3, 2004 Posted August 3, 2004 I did a bible study a few years ago on women of the Bible... hang on, let me see if I still have the workbook....
homeschoolmom Posted August 3, 2004 Posted August 3, 2004 The book is called, "Women of the Bible" by Barber, Rasnake and Shepherd.... and the section on Mary is quite flattering.
MorphRC Posted August 4, 2004 Posted August 4, 2004 [quote name='cathgirl' date='Aug 4 2004, 01:13 AM'] I had a friend that grad. a couple years ago who went to an evangelical church. They, or his church at least, didn't believe that she was their mother and we were always debating about it. It didn't seem like he respected her at all!! [/quote] I went to a Pentacostal service a few weeks in a row, they started with Luke, they totally skipped the Mariam part in chapter 1.
Pope St Clement 1 Posted August 4, 2004 Posted August 4, 2004 Today, I heard of a group of, believe it or not, Evangelical nuns called "The Sisterhood Of Mary" (or it might have been called "The Evangelical Sisterhood of Mary").
Pope St Clement 1 Posted August 4, 2004 Posted August 4, 2004 This is their website : [url="http://www.kanaan.org"]Evangelical Sisterhood Of Mary[/url] The following is a quote from one of their pages : [i]Co-founder Paul Riedinger, a Methodist church leader (d.1949), gave the sisterhood its name after Mary, the mother of Jesus, who exemplified faith and dedication to God's will, following Jesus to the cross.[/i] Don't know much about them at the moment.
MorphRC Posted August 4, 2004 Posted August 4, 2004 Wow. I wonder if he was brought up Ortho or Cath...
hopeful1 Posted August 5, 2004 Author Posted August 5, 2004 interesting find...Methodists have NUNS???? that's news What about Lutherans, do some synods (is that the right word) do anything with mary? I thought i heard from a friend of mine (who thinking of converting from Catholicism, please pray) that some did, but another friend raised Lutheran said that from the churhces he's been to, they seem to give just as much attention to her as evangelical churches do. What about in terms of ecumenical dialogue, besides Vatican II?
hopeful1 Posted August 5, 2004 Author Posted August 5, 2004 10...9...8...7...6...5...4...3...2...1... BUMP!!!!!!
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now