Fides_et_Ratio Posted August 4, 2004 Posted August 4, 2004 It was recently suggested that I write a letter to the Bishop of my diocese regarding a few liturgical "issues" I have, and I agreed to do so (since I have talked with numerous priests in the diocese already). However, I have a few questions... Are there any guidelines I should remember when writing? (and I address him as "Most Reverend...", correct?) Is there an appropriate length (/limit)? Also, when introducing myself... How much information is necessary? Is name, age, and parish sufficient? Or should I include any background information on myself (i.e. somewhat recently reconciled (2 yrs), been talking about things with a spiritual director)? Is there any information I should not give? How much is too much/ how much is too little? Anything else I should remember? Sorry for all the questions, but the answers will be greatly helpful! Thanks again.
Pio Nono Posted August 10, 2004 Posted August 10, 2004 JMJ 8/10 - St. Lawrence the Deacon Fides_et_Ratio, My first comment is, just make sure you're not biting off more than you can chew. If some priest friends have advised you to query the bishop, then I would suggest a few practicals that would apply to most business-like letters... 1.) Be polite. 2.) Introduce yourself minimally - i.e. name, age, parish, &c., and some brief background about your schooling or anything that might pertain to the issue. 3.) The title "Your Grace" is proper to a bishop. 4.) Defer to his position and hear him out - don't outright assume he's wrong. Other than that, just write it like a normal business letter. And keep it short, since I'm sure he's a busy man. Hope this helps. Yours, Pio Nono
BLAZEr Posted August 22, 2004 Posted August 22, 2004 Avoid calling him "tiny brained clowned faced fool" at all costs . . . and other such insults.
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now