Jump to content
Join our Facebook Group ×
An Old School Catholic Message Board

Recommended Posts

Posted

did you know that the Olympic Torch was invented by the Nazis?
did you know that the Olympic Symol was invented by the Nazis?

well i didn't, and now i'll never look at those two things the same again.

lol

:wacko:

And the original original Olympics were a ceremony to worship Zeus. They were banned by a Christian Edict.

ah well... just thought i'd kill your Olympic spirit too :P :nanny:

DancesforLove
Posted

I knew the part about Zeus because that was a given but I'm not sure about the other two. My parents say it was, ugh lol

DancesforLove
Posted

ok correction sorry just found this out lol. It was created when the Olympic games were in Germany BUT it doesn't mean it was invented by Nazis. Cause NOT ALL Germans are Nazis lol

Posted

Olympic events were also done in the nude kinda creepy !!!!!!

WCC_Catholic
Posted

[quote name='Aloysius' date='Aug 7 2004, 09:40 PM'] ah well... just thought i'd kill your Olympic spirit too :P :nanny: [/quote]
thanks for that info

i know an olympian on the jamacian soccer team she went to wcc with me

:ph34r:

Posted

[quote name='DancesforLove' date='Aug 7 2004, 10:43 PM'] ok correction sorry just found this out lol. It was created when the Olympic games were in Germany BUT it doesn't mean it was invented by Nazis. Cause NOT ALL Germans are Nazis lol [/quote]
It was created when the Olympics were in NAZI GERMANY, the Olympic Games that Hitler decided to use as a propaganda weapon to make Germans out to be the master race. The Germans planted something in Athens that had those Olympic rings on it and claimed it was an ancient Olympic symbol, but it wasn't. they just wanted something to help with their sensationalism of the master race. So it all boiled down to Hitler's ability to sensationalize and create propaganda.

DancesforLove
Posted

Ok true BUT as long as you understand not ALL germans are or were Nazis (if you haven't noticed, I'm german lol)

Yeah nude, ewwww gross lol.

Posted

lol... well i don't think you can make that argument about Hitler... cuz he and his buds invented the symbols.

not all germans were nazis! well, Hitler was ;) :lol:

Posted

You may also find it interesting ot learn that the theme (High faster longer) or whatever was suggested by a Priest.

Peace,
Tony

DancesforLove
Posted

I will NEVER consider Hitler or any of those sick bad words one of my heritage! They are a whole different breed of person!

Thy Geekdom Come
Posted

[quote name='StColette' date='Aug 7 2004, 10:44 PM'] Olympic events were also done in the nude kinda creepy !!!!!! [/quote]
They were male-only, too...and that includes spectators...

There is an ancient story about a mother who wanted to see her son win the race, so she snuck in...

I seem to recall that they caught her and killed her, but I'm not sure...

Thy Geekdom Come
Posted

[quote name='PaxVobis' date='Aug 8 2004, 12:46 AM'] You may also find it interesting ot learn that the theme (High faster longer) or whatever was suggested by a Priest.

Peace,
Tony [/quote]
Citius Altius Fortius

Posted

ehh i love the Olympics i wait for it every 2 years... my favorite time of year

Posted

[quote name='Aloysius' date='Aug 8 2004, 01:10 PM'] did you know that the Olympic Torch was invented by the Nazis?
did you know that the Olympic Symol was invented by the Nazis?

well i didn't, and now i'll never look at those two things the same again.

lol

:wacko:

And the original original Olympics were a ceremony to worship Zeus. They were banned by a Christian Edict.

ah well... just thought i'd kill your Olympic spirit too :P :nanny: [/quote]
Yes. I saw that on TV the other nite. Invented in germany.

Archaeology cat
Posted

[quote name='DancesforLove' date='Aug 7 2004, 11:26 PM']
Yeah nude, ewwww gross lol. [/quote]
The competitors were required to be nude so that women could not sneak into the games. If they had been clothed, it would have been possible for a woman to disguise herself as a man and participate. And being an archaeologist, the nudity doesn't bother me, as long as I only have to think of the statues :D

DancesforLove
Posted

lol shino yeah the statues don't bother me but I don't wanna see that lol.

Posted

[quote name='shinobininjasp' date='Aug 9 2004, 03:13 AM'] The competitors were required to be nude so that women could not sneak into the games. If they had been clothed, it would have been possible for a woman to disguise herself as a man and participate. And being an archaeologist, the nudity doesn't bother me, as long as I only have to think of the statues :D [/quote]
LOL.

Hmm and I was thinking it was about aerodynamics :rolleyes:

Archaeology cat
Posted

[quote name='DancesforLove' date='Aug 8 2004, 01:04 PM'] lol shino yeah the statues don't bother me but I don't wanna see that lol. [/quote]
Yeah, I can keep an objective distance from the statues, since I just study the style of sculpture anyway. Then I decided to focus on Egyptian archaeology, where there are a lot fewer nude statues :D

Ash Wednesday
Posted

The Nazis also bastardized the swastika, which used to have a positive meaning in other cultures. Let's not let them spoil the fun....

It's modern day Olympic spirit, not Nazi spirit or Zeus spirit. Even the Vatican is getting in on the sports action now. :cool:

DancesforLove
Posted

The Nazis bastardized everything lol

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...