Jump to content
Join our Facebook Group ×
An Old School Catholic Message Board

Recommended Posts

Brother Adam
Posted

What is the relationship between the essance and the specific?

Better put, if trees ceased to exist, would "treeness" or the essance, cease to exist?

Thy Geekdom Come
Posted

LOL

This was the topic of an entire lecture in philosophy class...and we used a tree as the example...

I think it's up for philosophical debate. It really depends on what makes "treeness" a category. If what makes it a category is the existence of actual trees, then the essence would not exist if there were no trees. However, if what makes it a category is a specific series of characteristics (leafy, woody, complex root system, etc.) then the category could exist even without actual trees because a person, knowing of these individual characteristics from various other sources, could conceive of what we know to be a tree.

Mrs. Bro. Adam
Posted

[quote name='Brother Adam' date='Aug 8 2004, 02:08 AM'] What is the relationship between the essance and the specific?

Better put, if trees ceased to exist, would "treeness" or the essance, cease to exist? [/quote]
:huh:

theculturewarrior
Posted

I've often wonder if we ourselves are kind of "transubstantiated" by the Eucharist. I know that sounds strange, and you know I submit to the Church...

But we become the Body of Christ through the Eucharist. If Jesus was God with the "accidents" of a man, and if the Eucharist is God with the "accidents" of bread and wine...are we the Body of Christ with our own individual accidents? Probably not, I know, but I have wondered.

Posted (edited)

I don't know any philosophy but that tree thing sounds really interesting

Edited by slywakka250
Posted

Just reading the question made my brain hurt. :huh:

homeschoolmom
Posted

the topic would be more fun if where you wrote "tree" you'd have written "chocolate" instead... :drool:

Posted

ditto to what hsmom said.

theculturewarrior
Posted

Not to digress, but my sister useta work in a chocolate factory. :drool: Guess what her job was...

homeschoolmom
Posted

taster?

Brother Adam
Posted

You bunch of Philosophical amatuars. :P

Posted

yup! that's us!!!

:)

Posted

[quote]Just reading the question made my brain hurt.[/quote]

me too, and this whole tree coversation kinda scares me, really freaky

Posted

oh, and btw, i believe the title of this thread is misleading, because it implies there is fun to be had.

:nono: it is wrong! :)

IcePrincessKRS
Posted

I majored in literature for a reason.

Brother Adam
Posted

You are looking at the very question philosophers discussed from Aristotle to Aquanis (so I'm told)

Brother Adam
Posted

And "treeness" is part of a greater essance, God's essance, so the essance continues to exist :)

Posted

okay, i'll take your word for it

Posted

my head hurts now..

Thy Geekdom Come
Posted

[quote name='Brother Adam' date='Aug 10 2004, 07:58 PM'] And "treeness" is part of a greater essance, God's essance, so the essance continues to exist :) [/quote]
Haha...probably Aquinas...

I only got through the ancient philosopher's takes on it...

Philosophy rocks!

Hey, Brother Adam, if you like philosophy, read St. Bonaventure's [u]Journey of the Mind to God[/u]...it's brilliant...

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...