Jump to content
Join our Facebook Group ×
An Old School Catholic Message Board

Got My Black Belt...


Recommended Posts

Posted

CONGRATS ASH!!!!!!!! You rock. Its quite an acheivement, you so earned it I bet.

I earned my blackbelt in Taekwondo in March.

I did 1,350 pushups...

No board breaking, but a lot of floor drills...

I moved so now Im looking into something different. Any suggestions?

Posted

[quote name='Luthien' date='Aug 9 2004, 04:40 PM'] I did 1,350 pushups... [/quote]
Non-stop?

Posted

Lol no.

I did 600 in 20 minutes, throughout the test I did sets of 100 and 50. It was about 2 1/2 hours long.


Still felt like jelly arms afterwards.

Ash Wednesday
Posted

[quote name='Noel's angel' date='Aug 9 2004, 02:16 PM']Are u from ireland?  i hope im not alone! its easy to get a black belt in some martial arts, i like to think i erned everything i have achieved[/quote]
Hey Noel,

You know whether or not you worked hard for what you have, and that's all that really matters. Skill and hard work matters more than belt. (Mr. Miyagi's belt was "J.C. Penny! $3.99, Daniel-San!") :haha:

To answer your questions -- I've been doing martial arts for five years. It took me four years to get my first degree belt in taekwondo, and five years to get my first degree belt in hapkido. But I was attending classes regularly -- other students that can't attend as frequently can take quite a long time.

We are only talking first dan here, which means "serious beginner" really. :ph34r:
It would be at least another two years before I got to 2nd dan (degree) and there are at least 10 degrees of black belt....it takes a lifetime to get to that point. I'm still just a baby, in the big picture.

:infant:

In my case, you achieve a rank by performing the forms (hyung, or kata, if you will) for the corresponding level, and demonstrate the appropriate exercises (whether they are step-sparring drills in taekwondo or hosinsul in hapkido (self defense responses), regular sparring, and breaking, of course. In hapkido when you're nearing brown/black level you can start working with weapons. You have to demonstrate at least one weapons pattern at 1st dan in hapkido. I had to also do one-on-one sparring, and 3-on-one sparring using defenses like throws, joint locks, et cetera.

My organization is very "traditional" so they also have us write papers starting at purple belt (that's just below brown) about how martial arts is as life application (teaching you patience, handling a bad situation and emphasizing nonviolent means when possible, etc.) They also have us read some of the classes like the Tao Te Ching, Art of War, and Book of Five Rings and discuss what wisdom we may have gained from it, or how we interpret it. They do not teach "asian religion" nor do they ask that we ascribe to eastern beliefs (in fact one of our instructors is going to become an Episcopalian minister...) the reason they explore some of this is so students can understand the history and the "hows" and "whys" martial arts came about.

I hope to be going overseas for graduate school so I don't know if I will be practicing the same art and moving to another organization or where the wind will blow. We'll see!

Posted

[quote name='Luthien' date='Aug 9 2004, 03:40 PM']

I moved so now Im looking into something different. Any suggestions? [/quote]
irish dancing maybe? i do it ,its awesome.lol. :D

Posted

congrats Ash!... you are blessed :)

Ash Wednesday
Posted

[quote name='reelguy227' date='Aug 9 2004, 04:10 PM'] irish dancing maybe? i do it ,its awesome.lol. :D [/quote]
I have to admit it looks kinda funny to me -- how stiff they are in the upper body but their feet are just whipping around at warp speed. I bet it's fun, and it sure looks like good exercise. ;)

Luthien -- asking what martial art you should try next is like asking a general question like what kind of car you want to buy. :D In other words, what is your "style" and needs? Do you want to do something really gritty and hard, that incorporates realism, or something more like a graceful soft art, like Aikido or kung fu? (I think kung fu is an absolutely amazing art, something I would love to try.) Something with lots of grappling and throwing, like ju-jutsu or judo? Punching, like Muy Thai?

You could just check out the studios and dabble with what is most fun and enjoyable for you, too.
:ninja:

P.S. Thanks everyone for the well wishes! :)

Ash Wednesday
Posted

P.S. Noel -- that's really cool you're from Northern Ireland. I've been there, very fascinating place!!! I have a friend in Belfast.

Noel's angel
Posted

I live about an hours drive from Belfast, in a wee town by the sea called Ballycastle, u should visit sometime

Noel's angel
Posted

My black belt grading lasted three hours, then there was a written test afterwards. i dont care about belts anymore, as Bruce Lee said "belts are for holding ur trousers up"

Posted

Hearing all this, makes me wanna to that training so more!!!!!!!

Noel's angel
Posted

No point in obsessing about belts because they dont mean anything, i know people who are brilliant at Martial Arts but dont do gradings because belts dont really mean anything, ive realised that now

Posted

They're a sign of respect.imo

Noel's angel
Posted

u should respect people regardless of their belt colour, it doesnt matter, my sensei taught brown belts when he was a white belt and they had to respect him like they would a black belt

Noel's angel
Posted

Belts belts belts, lets just be happy that we have been given a gift by God and that we are using it

Noel's angel
Posted

Flap flap, im going a bit insane, aggghhhhhh

Posted

[quote name='Noel's angel' date='Aug 11 2004, 12:57 AM'] u should respect people regardless of their belt colour, it doesnt matter, my sensei taught brown belts when he was a white belt and they had to respect him like they would a black belt [/quote]
Keep it within context of the TOPIC plz

Noel's angel
Posted

whats ur problem, we were talking about belts and u said they were a sign of respect, and i gave an example showing that they werent, calm down and dont get so angry all the time PLEASE

Posted

[quote name='Noel's angel' date='Aug 11 2004, 02:03 AM'] whats ur problem, we were talking about belts and u said they were a sign of respect, and i gave an example showing that they werent, calm down and dont get so angry all the time PLEASE [/quote]
I have no problem. You gave an example that went outside the context of what I was refering to, and the topic here. I didnt mean it in such a broadened sense.

k?

Posted

And I aint angry. lol. I dont waste anger or rage on such little things.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...