Thy Geekdom Come Posted August 8, 2004 Posted August 8, 2004 I went to Mass this morning at 10:30 and as some of you know, my church is the Chapel of the Immaculate Conception at the original Boys Town. Okay, so we are halfway through the Sanctus and some people shuffle into church (I had to stand in the back...it's a VERY popular church, so I was near the door and I was like , "you're just getting in now?"). Well, off to the right is the crypt with the tomb of Fr. Flanagan, the founder of Boys Town. Anyway, these people keep shuffling in during the Consecration while we're all kneeling and I figure it out...it's one of the tour groups! They're walking in, obviously miffed that they had to weave their way around people kneeling and standing in the back on their way to the crypt. Then they get to the crypt, where my brother was (it's usually filled during Mass) and not only do they start flashing cameras, but they look at him and say, "this is a tour group, you have to get out!" All of this during the Consecration...then they shuffle back out like nothing happened... I was like What's wrong with these people? Don't they realize there is a liturgy in progress? Don't they realize they can't tell worshippers to move during Mass so that they can get better pictures? I mean...come on... No respect for the sacred, anymore...
cathgirl Posted August 8, 2004 Posted August 8, 2004 How terrible! Does the parish always let this happen?
theculturewarrior Posted August 8, 2004 Posted August 8, 2004 :angry: :angry: Just the story makes me want to scream. :angry: (By the way, this is real anger, not my usual pretend. :angry: )
StColette Posted August 8, 2004 Posted August 8, 2004 Why don't they have it where there are no tour groups during Mass times? That's just ridiculous !!
Colleen Posted August 8, 2004 Posted August 8, 2004 :angry: That's awful. You'd think people would have the decency to show even a modicum of respect. Maybe they should put up a sign or something to let people know. Btw, I've been to that church (and to the crypt) and it's very beautiful.
Thy Geekdom Come Posted August 8, 2004 Author Posted August 8, 2004 [quote name='cathgirl' date='Aug 8 2004, 06:18 PM'] How terrible! Does the parish always let this happen? [/quote] No, this has never happened before... Having gone to a seminary with a Minor Basilica, I've seen some odd tour group behavior, but this takes the cake... Well...except for one kid who was on a youth retreat and what he did at Mass, but it's far, far too foul to mention with children around...
Thy Geekdom Come Posted August 8, 2004 Author Posted August 8, 2004 [quote name='Colleen' date='Aug 8 2004, 06:20 PM'] :angry: That's awful. You'd think people would have the decency to show even a modicum of respect. Maybe they should put up a sign or something to let people know. Btw, I've been to that church (and to the crypt) and it's very beautiful. [/quote] When did you go? It had a makeover about ten years ago (it was awful before that) and another about five years ago (it's very simplistic now, with gold foil on the wood around the Tabernacle...like rays of glory...simple, but very beautiful...).
Colleen Posted August 8, 2004 Posted August 8, 2004 [quote name='Raphael' date='Aug 8 2004, 05:23 PM'] When did you go? It had a makeover about ten years ago (it was awful before that) and another about five years ago (it's very simplistic now, with gold foil on the wood around the Tabernacle...like rays of glory...simple, but very beautiful...). [/quote] Summer of '99. Our biggest vacation ever, I think. We usually don't go out of state. The crypt was especially beautiful, as I remember.
BeenaBobba Posted August 9, 2004 Posted August 9, 2004 Wow, Raph, that's horrible! I wouldn't have moved! I would have shot whoever told me to move a look to show my displeasure! God bless, Jen
homeschoolmom Posted August 9, 2004 Posted August 9, 2004 :bugeyes: I would have completely ignored this rude person. I would have just kept praying. Can you imagine the nerve required by a tourist to tap someone on the shoulder and tell them to move while they are praying? That would take guts. Absolutely no tours should be there during mass. People these days just don't know how to behave themselves.
DancesforLove Posted August 9, 2004 Posted August 9, 2004 I just can not get over how insensitive and disgraceful and rude that it! I mean who asks a praying person to move!! thats when you leave and COME BACK LATER!!
MorphRC Posted August 9, 2004 Posted August 9, 2004 if they did that to me, Id tell em to bugger off. Opening Time is after God's been worshipped!
franciscanheart Posted August 9, 2004 Posted August 9, 2004 seriously i would raise all kinds of heck
MorphRC Posted August 9, 2004 Posted August 9, 2004 I wouldnt go out of control, but get my point over.
p0lar_bear Posted August 9, 2004 Posted August 9, 2004 This sort of thing happens all the time in the shrines and cathedrals in Europe.... Of course, in some of them it is difficult to find a time when Mass is [i]not[/i] being said. Easter Sunday at Notre Dame was horrible. People were wandering around and talking loudly as the early Mass was still going on. I was so disgusted I left and had to find another Church before Easter Mass started.
MorphRC Posted August 9, 2004 Posted August 9, 2004 Wow. The only time our churches here are full is easter and christmas, im sure theres a title for those types of catholics
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now