An Old School Catholic Message Board

The Last Samurai

MorphRC

I really enjoyed it! Great flick! (even if it did have Tom Cruise) :P

While the movie maybe was a little anti-Western, I saw the central conflict of the movie as being more about traditional vs modern. The Samurai represent a traditional way of life based on honor and chivalry facing the modern world of mechanized efficiency. Western civilization has by the nineteenth century largely lost much of its heroic and chivalrous tradition which it had in the Middle Ages - it's kind of a fable of medieval vs. modern. The Samurai charging the gatling gun was especially poignant, and illustrative of this point.

Edited by Socrates

[quote name='White Knight' date='Aug 12 2004, 05:23 AM'] Heard it was Sweet. I wanted to see it, never got the chance too. [/quote]
I saw it once in the cinema. And when it came on DVD, i was kicking myself for not seeing again :(

Thats why i go to the movies as much as possible when there are good films.

[quote name='Noel's angel' date='Aug 12 2004, 05:59 AM'] I thought it was brilliant. I wasnt sure that i would like it, but i really enjoyed it [/quote]
Same Here. I was even a bit weird about, should I bother, its gonna be on DVD soon, glad I did. :D

[quote name='Socrates' date='Aug 12 2004, 11:15 AM'] I really enjoyed it!  Great flick!  (even if it did have Tom Cruise) :P

While the movie maybe was a little anti-Western, I saw the central conflict of the movie as being more about traditional vs modern.  The Samurai represent a traditional way of life based on honor and chivalry facing the modern world of mechanized efficiency.  Western civilization has by the nineteenth century largely lost much of its heroic and chivalrous tradition which it had in the Middle Ages - it's kind of a fable of medieval vs. modern.  The Samurai charging the gatling gun was especially poignant, and illustrative of this point. [/quote]
I dont believe it was anti-western. Especially since the US Commander of a fleet, went and bombarded Yokohama harbour with cannon fire, and thats roughly how the West, especially America's arms dealing with Japan got started. They saw no choice in the matter, especially since such destruction was done, by such a distance.

The guy who played Emperor Meiji played it well. Ive read alot of about Meiji and the modernization, it was fairly spot on.

Edited by MorphRC

Noel's angel

No, i didnt think it was anti Western either, my friend has it on DVD and i love it, ill probably buy it myself. I wasnt sure about tom cruise, but he wasnt bad actually. it was magic, especially the last scenes, they really pulled at the old heart strings.

[quote name='Noel's angel' date='Aug 13 2004, 12:03 AM'] No, i didnt think it was anti Western either, my friend has it on DVD and i love it, ill probably buy it myself.  I wasnt sure about tom cruise, but he wasnt bad actually.  it was magic, especially the last scenes, they really pulled at the old heart strings. [/quote]
Yeah I totally agree.

The ironic thing is, the Samurai, historically, were the bad guys..LOL

But you were gunnin for them!. :D

And thats exactly how a Samurai would die to. Go out fighting, even when he knew it.

Maintain your honor even unto death :D

I like that stuff :D

Edited by MorphRC

morph, do yu speak japanese? it seems like you are really interested in japan and its history ,are you ? the last samurai was an awesome movie!!!.i love the samurais armor and way of life! :D

Noel's angel

Id love to learn Japanese, but there isnt enough demand over here. Yup, die with honour, its a really interesting culture that i love finding out about. I think im going to Okinawa in the next few years, which would be really cool because that is where Wado Ryu originated.

Noel's angel

The good thing about Okinawa is that its an island and you dont get as many tourists and its not as crowded as mainland Japan or China