Jump to content
Join our Facebook Group ×
An Old School Catholic Message Board

Recommended Posts

Posted

... are there others here who just don't feel any desire to watch the Summer Olympics, whether it's the Opening Ceremonies, Closing Ceremonies, or the games themselves?

Right now I have the TV on the opening ceremonies, but I may change the channel in a few. Let's just say that watching the Olympics, at this time in my life, will just make me feel truly horrible (Don't ask!). Yet I almost feel like I should make myself watch them anyway simply because they're the Olympics -- much like even non-football fans watch the Superbowl simply because it's the Superbowl.

Posted

I haven't been watching, either. But I don't watch much TV anyway.

The Olympics . . . I don't know, they're just not that interesting to me. At least the summer Olympics aren't. I love watching the Winter Olympics, though.

Football, on the other hand . . . I can't miss that. ^_^

[quote]Yet I almost feel like I should make myself watch them anyway simply because they're the Olympics -- much like even non-football fans watch the Superbowl simply because it's the Superbowl.[/quote]
I wouldn't worry about that. Don't make yourself do something you don't want to do. I would pray or read or post on Phatmass, instead. :D

Posted

I watch the Superbowl, like most people, for the ads. And teh party food, hehe. Thats why I watch any football games the party food. Hehe.

I am not watching it. I don't watch any TV at all. I think I have seen some of it of late but not much. I am reading, working, or online. LOL!

Posted

I love the Summer Olympics!!!

I'm watching the Opening Ceremony right now...it was AMAZING at the beginning, with the huge float of Greek History....

Even if it's not about the sports, it's so cool to see all the differnt countries in the parade of nations...like a lesson in culture (they all wear something typical, etc)

It's really really cool :cool:

Posted

I want to watch the openning ceremony, but I have no idea what channel it's on!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

EcceNovaFacioOmni
Posted

I might watch some of it. I wish they'd include football... I'm just gonna wait for the winter olympics and the hockey tournament.

Posted

I watch the German and the ummm who the heck was it march.

Posted

its nice to see the countries getting along in SOMETHING

Posted

Hey guys, did you see me when the Aussies walked out? 3rd row from the front, what an awesome cheer!

Australia number 1 bro!

America b grade mate

Posted

Found the channel about 30 mins or more ago, so I got to see many of the countries march (except for the USA). :(

homeschoolmom
Posted

[quote name='VeraMaria' date='Aug 13 2004, 08:36 PM'] Even if it's not about the sports, it's so cool to see all the differnt countries in the parade of nations...like a lesson in culture (they all wear something typical, etc)
[/quote]
Yeah... that's what I like about it. :)

Posted

[quote name='Paladin D' date='Aug 14 2004, 12:22 AM'] Found the channel about 30 mins or more ago, so I got to see many of the countries march (except for the USA). :( [/quote]
Yeah....right after the United Arab Emirates (who were booed very audibly :(). USA has the largest number of people. I thought it was sad how the Arab athletes were treated. I mean you'd think since it's the [i]Olympics[/i]

Ash Wednesday
Posted

Yo, Dave --

If it doesn't interest you, then don't feel like you should watch it. Do something more constructive with your time that's interesting to you.

It's all good!

I love the Olympics, but right now I'm not really interested. I *love* the winter Olympics, probably more than the summer.

It would be interesting to me, but I'm more interested in working on my artwork instead.

:D

homeschoolmom
Posted

[quote name='VeraMaria' date='Aug 13 2004, 10:40 PM'] Yeah....right after the United Arab Emirates (who were booed very audibly :(). USA has the largest number of people. I thought it was sad how the Arab athletes were treated. I mean you'd think since it's the [i]Olympics[/i] [/quote]
Greeks are not known for their love of Turks, either...

Posted

I'm a sports nut and I'm totally psyched! I love the Olympics! I've already started watching the US Men's basketball this week and the USA spanked Turkey already. That 19 year old guy from the USA hopefully is going to get the gold tommorrow in the Men's swimming event.

Posted (edited)

[quote name='M.SIGGA' date='Aug 14 2004, 12:52 AM'] That 19 year old guy from the USA hopefully is going to get the gold tommorrow in the Men's swimming event. [/quote]
Oh geez ... hearing about Michael Phelps and swimming and stuff is a large part of what depresses me regarding the Olympics. But that's another story.

Edited by Dave
Posted

I missed Italy come in. ;.; *sobs*

Posted

Would it help to talk about it, Dave?

A good rule to follow, maybe: if it really bums you out, skip it (whatever "it" is, whether reading material, or non-essential life activities). I have to be careful myself...there is a certain type of personality which does. Ditto for the scrupulous.

Remembering you in my prayers...

Posted

Thanks, Donna, but it really wouldn't help to talk about it on the phorum. People would read it and say stuff that's meant to help but is really hurtful. I'm not saying you would, but others would for sure. And thanks for the prayers.

1337 k4th0l1x0r
Posted

Am I the only one who thought the opening ceremony was great, but the television broadcast, most especially the commentary, was horrible. They could not make it half an hour through the ceremony and not get political. Especially when Katie Kouric said that the Greeks just hate our foreign policy but still cheer us on, but when the Iraqis and Afgans came out, she said it was so awesome. Grrrr!!! I'm emailing NBC and telling them it was the worst commentary I've ever heard. Not just political stuff, but also they were talking while the singing was going on! HELLO? Let us listen to the music. Don't tell us stuff about her dress. If you want to tell us that, flash it on the bottom of the screen! But these 'personalities' feel like if they're keeping their mouths shut more than 30 seconds than the whole world will forget about them and it would mean the end of their precious self-centered universe.

Okay, I'm ending this. Sorry for the rant.

P.S. Am I the only one who though the big torch looks like a joint? I don't smoke, but I seriously thought it looked like a joint. What were the designers of that thing... err... smoking?

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...