Jump to content
Join our Facebook Group ×
An Old School Catholic Message Board

Recommended Posts

Posted

I was watching the late night news, because once again, I couldn't sleep last night. They were talking about the draft, and IF the draft was re-instated, this is what they said (Selective Service Systems):

-It will be for men and women, ages 18-26.
-You will not get a deferrment for school
--If you did, it would be through the end of a semester, not til the end of your collegiate career (unlike Vietnam where you were deferred until you were totally done with school).

But since the President, Congress and the Pentagon is against a draft, only one of two things would have to happen before they would consider it:

-There is another terrorist attack here on American soil
-There is another war abroad

Thy Geekdom Come
Posted

I don't really think the draft is necessary. We have a huge and very successful professional military.

When you draft people, you get a lot of folks who aren't willing to go to war. It makes for bad morale and brings down the whole military.

A draft at this time would only hurt America.

Posted

Hmmm...

I'm going to hold off on worrying about this ...

Posted

Aside from the attacks or a foreign war, you would also need a situation in which we did not have the volunteers to get the job done. Especially if it is an attack on US soil, I don't think that will be a problem....

Posted

i'm not saying to worry about it, part of why i posted this is because some people are mis-informed on who can be drafted.

one thing i forgot though, if you are unfit for service, you would do 2 years of community service.

Posted

throw me in jail i refuse to fight for a country that let's planned parenthood live on...

Posted

Wouldn't it be hard to call women for the draft considering only men register....or did that change....

Thy Geekdom Come
Posted

[quote name='p0lar_bear' date='Aug 19 2004, 12:25 PM'] Wouldn't it be hard to call women for the draft considering only men register....or did that change.... [/quote]
No...only men register...

Posted

There will be no discussion of "Draft" by any party during an election year. It would be political suicide.

Posted

[quote name='Lil Red' date='Aug 19 2004, 01:08 PM'] I was watching the late night news, because once again, I couldn't sleep last night. They were talking about the draft, and IF the draft was re-instated, this is what they said (Selective Service Systems):

-It will be for men and women, ages 18-26.
-You will not get a deferrment for school
--If you did, it would be through the end of a semester, not til the end of your collegiate career (unlike Vietnam where you were deferred until you were totally done with school).

But since the President, Congress and the Pentagon is against a draft, only one of two things would have to happen before they would consider it:

-There is another terrorist attack here on American soil
-There is another war abroad [/quote]
If you go to [url="http://www.Senate.gov"]http://www.Senate.gov[/url] and look at the votes, you'll find that there some democrat senator that wants to make it mandatory for all young men and women to be force to serve in the military after high school.

There is no need for that... or a draft... even if there is a terrorist attack. Terrorist are like flies, you do not need a gun to kill flies. You use a fly swatter. A draft because of terrorist is one of the most foolish things I've ever heard, and I've heard a lot of them the past few days.


God Bless,
ironmonk

Posted

like i said, i'm just saying i saw this on the news, and thought it was interesting.

sheesh.

i'm not saying it's wrong or right or whatever.

theculturewarrior
Posted

If you're asthmatic...count your blessings!

Thy Geekdom Come
Posted

[quote name='theculturewarrior' date='Aug 19 2004, 01:51 PM'] If you're asthmatic...count your blessings! [/quote]
I would, but counting them might make me run out of breath.

theculturewarrior
Posted

Raph: :lol:

Posted

IronMonk, yes there are some Dems who want a draft. You know why? They think we are too gung ho about war and maybe if everyone (Rich, Poor, CEO, Lineworker, Presendient, intern) had a kid in the army they would be a little less gung ho and really think about it.

I think a draft is apporaching. And so do the majority of highschool grads. In fact Bush has done something no presdent has done for a long time, 2/3 of all high school stundents are worried about the future and think it hangs on who wins the White House this fall. I am not sure that number is good for Bush... but I think it is good for America.

There has been a lot of speculation about a draft next spring. Calling up the ready reseverse was one. The armed forces are streched thin, we all know that. We are pulling troops out of Korea because we don't have enought for Iraq.

Part of the problem is that Rumsfeld tried to restrutce the army. It used to be set up to fight two wars on different sides of the goble at any one time. It had been this way senice World War II. The Bush Admin thought that was stupid. I guess they are paying for it in Iraq, Afganastan, and Korea. We don't have the numbers to do the Nation Building, which Bush promised to keep out of in his campgin, that we are engaging in.

I see a draft soon. And I am going to try and get CO status because I disagree with Iraq, which is sucking up a huge part of the numbers. I have already started to look at what I need for it. It was what my dad got during Nam, he spent 2 or 3 years working in a State Mental Health Ward.

I won't duck my duty, but I won't go into arms. I could never live with myself for shooting at another living human.

Posted

From sss.gov on the statuses

[quote]Men are not classified now. Classification is the process of determining who is available for military service and who is deferred or exempted. Classifications are based on each individual registrant's circumstances and beliefs. A classification program would go into effect when Congress and the President decide to resume a draft. Then, men who are qualified for induction would have the opportunity to file a claim for exemptions, deferments, and postponements from military service. Here is a list of some, though not all, classifications and what they mean:

1-A - available immediately for military service.

1-O Conscientious Objector- conscientiously opposed to both types (combatant and non-combatant) of military training and service - fulfills his service obligation as a civilian alternative service worker.

1-A-O Conscientious Objector - conscientiously opposed to training and military service requiring the use of arms - fulfills his service obligation in a noncombatant position within the military.

2-D Ministerial Students - deferred from military service.

3-A Hardship Deferment - deferred from military service because service would cause hardship upon his family.

4-C Alien or Dual National - sometimes exempt from military service.

4-D Ministers of Religion - exempted from military service.

Student Postponements - a college student may have his induction postponed until he finishes the current semester or, if a senior, the end of the academic year. A high school student may have his induction postponed until he graduates or until he reaches age 20. Appealing a Classification - A man may appeal his classification to a Selective Service Appeal Board.
[/quote]

BullnaChinaShop
Posted

[quote name='Iacobus' date='Aug 19 2004, 01:18 PM'] There has been a lot of speculation about a draft next spring. Calling up the ready reseverse was one. The armed forces are streched thin, we all know that. We are pulling troops out of Korea because we don't have enought for Iraq.

Part of the problem is that Rumsfeld tried to restrutce the army. It used to be set up to fight two wars on different sides of the goble at any one time. It had been this way senice World War II. The Bush Admin thought that was stupid. I guess they are paying for it in Iraq, Afganastan, and Korea. We don't have the numbers to do the Nation Building, which Bush promised to keep out of in his campgin, that we are engaging in. [/quote]
Bush is not responsible for reducing the military to its current state. During the Clinton administration our military was cut dramatically from its Cold War state. The military was already cut in strength from the two war model before Bush even entered office. The restructuring that Rumsfeld has been undertaking is to make our current force more effective not to reduce out current force.

Posted

[quote name='BullnaChinaShop' date='Aug 19 2004, 01:38 PM'] During the Clinton administration our military was cut dramatically from its Cold War state. [/quote]
:huh: Yeh... The Cold War was over we really didn't need all that stuff. After WWII did we need those huge navies and armies and air groups and factories making bombs etc? He cut spending on the armed forces because we didn't need 5,000 new tanks. The Russians weren't going to over run Europe. We didn't need all that stuff. Cutting it made sense. So I am not sure what your arguement hinges on there.

Rummy was the 1st one to really bring up the re strutering thing in, I think, 2001.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...