An Old School Catholic Message Board

I Have A Problem With...

socalscout

I own a sub sandwich shop and there is this old gentleman transient who digs in the trash and eats it in front of my store. He bothers my customers for their food.
We have given him food and sometimes he eats part of it but many times he just throws it away. He is very exagerated in his movements and it is obvious he is not totally in touch with reality.

I really feel bad for this guy. I am thinking about calling the police to get him help but I do not know how much good will come from that. I don't want him arrested or anything like that. I need your prayers for this guy.

[quote name='BullnaChinaShop' date='Aug 19 2004, 01:47 PM'] Are there any local charities that could help him out? [/quote]
Good idea but this guy is not with it so he will not seek them out and I don't think they will go looking for him.

BullnaChinaShop

[quote name='socalscout' date='Aug 19 2004, 02:49 PM'] Good idea but this guy is not with it so he will not seek them out and I don't think they will go looking for him. [/quote]
Could you guide any of them to him? You say he spends a lot of time outside your sandwich shop, could they approach him there?

[quote name='BullnaChinaShop' date='Aug 19 2004, 01:54 PM'] Could you guide any of them to him? You say he spends a lot of time outside your sandwich shop, could they approach him there? [/quote]
I'll look into it. I am also going to ask the police what they would do in that situation.

theculturewarrior

Where I live we have a number called, "211." It is basically a directory of social services. Maybe your area has something similar. I can't [i]imagine[/i] Texas outdoing California in [i]that[/i]. :rolleyes:

Thy Geekdom Come

It's certainly wonderful of you to feed him, but I can understand the threat to your business.

Understanding that he may be an addict of some kind or may have mental or physical problems...it may be wise to call the police, but I think I'd contact Catholic Charities or something first. Maybe he can eat in the back alley or something for the sake of your business, but definitely see if you can get him some help.

God bless you for the charity you have already shown him.

St. Martin of Tours, pray for us.

Thy Geekdom Come

I have a way to increase your business and help him and the Church at once...

You can start collecting money and canned goods, etc. for an organization suited toward people of this man's position (which needs still to be varified). Some sort of poor shelter. I'd call it St. Martin of Tours, but you could call it anything. If you advertise that you are doing this with some percent of the money, it will probably increase your business (some friends of mine own a bakery and they raise money for the poor and stuff like that...they tripled their budget in about 7 years...not bad...).

Socal,
As luck would have it, I'm in the middle of writing a story on this very issue right now, and I just asked a homeless service provider here in Indianapolis what she would suggest for someone in a position similar to yours.

I don't know what the laws are in CA, but here in Indianapolis there are guidelines for how panhandling can be done. You can't bar someone for simply asking for money or food -- that would be a violation of his or her civil rights. But, they cannot be aggressive in their solicitations (rude comments, touching you, yelling, etc.) If this person is posing a threat to himself or others (such as your customers) you should call the police.

Giving money or food is not generally the best way to deal with the situation. Many people who are panhandling are not homeless, contrary to what you may believe -- this is just an easy way for them to get their basic needs met.

However, many do suffer from mental illnesses or addictions, and you would be more loving to help him find a solution to their homelessness than to facilitate their staying in this situation.

In Indianapolis, we have several homelessness outreach programs, and there are teams of people that go out into the city to find people who are struggling. I'm sure you have something similar where you are. If you need specific contacts for such outreach agencies, let me know where you are and I'll do a bit of research for you to let you know who to contact.

Hope this helps. :D