An Old School Catholic Message Board

Did The Us Have A Right To Seperate?

Crusader_4

I was thinking and looking at the American Revolution and i have come to the conclusion that by America seperating from Canada (Canada is older) it was not just. As a matter of fact since Canada is the older brother of the united states and they succeded from the British Empire without fair reason not only should they begin to pay Britian tribute but Canada as well. Lets take a look:

Taxes: Okay i can see why people dont like taxes but to not pay them and start a war...and i can even see the motive behind not wanting to pay taxes in which you have no little say....but the 13 colonies were just that COLONIES. they were to help the whole of the British Empire not just themselves. As well

Representation: Well i can see how you feel but had you grown more and sent contiunally more delegates it could have been worked out

Land: Look the Natives deserved the Land from the Quebec Act they fought hard and deserved it. Besides what do they have now? (who really got ripped off?)

It was not only taxation though. It was about freedom. Among other things, soldiers would house themselves wherever they wanted.

well, let's clarify what we're talking

did they have the legal right to seperate?
did they have the moral right to seperate?

the answer to the first one, i'm not sure
and maybe it's just the fact that i was taught history in america but i'd say the second one i would say yes

Okay the APB is here.

It wasn't about taxes. The Conoliests were spoil rotten little brats from the peroid of Slautary Neglect. When the British fought and won the French and Indian war they imposed taxes (hereto unheard of) on the settlers to pay for the debt aquired by the war.

The soon to be American's disagreed with paying taxes to fund the army. They thought that they had served in the army, they bleed and died, to defend England. Before this point of time the British and the Colonists were getting along well.

There was also issues like Britian's adhereance to the mertilisitc policies in the Nav Acts. The Brits didn't want to have the New World grow and be an equal in the Empire. The New World was to help England grow. Any trade had to go through England and the Yankee traders had to pay the stiff duties. So the traders ignored that and started trading without England's blessing.

Also, there was the Demarcation Line of 1763. This put some anger into the Colonies. After removing the French the settlers thought that, now without a threat, they could cross and settle west of the Applician Mountians. The Demarcation Line of 1763 drew a line at the western most boarders of the colonies and said "No futher."

The Colonies sought rep in Palament. But the reply was that they were afford "virtual rep." The didn't have a vote or a deleget no matter their size. They were reped only by the members of Palament regardless of how different, big, or powerful the colony was.

And C4, proir to ending the FAI War Canada was "New France." So if you care to tell me how Canada is older as a "British" being do tell. Moreover, the first prement European colony was Jamestown in VA. And if you are going back prior to the Europeans, the Native Americans may have been in Canada first, but it appears that Vikings and Ancient Egyptions (tobacoo) were here long before 1492.

Also remeber the battle of Lexington and Conorcde. The British were moving on a raid to raid an arms warehouse and meet with minute men on the defensive. The British took the 1st strike by lunching a raid.

[quote name='Aloysius' date='Aug 21 2004, 02:01 PM'] well, let's clarify what we're talking

did they have the legal right to seperate?
did they have the moral right to seperate?

the answer to the first one, i'm not sure
and maybe it's just the fact that i was taught history in america but i'd say the second one i would say yes [/quote]
Al I just posted a breif outlay of what caused the revolt. For more see the reasons in the DoI.

As to them having or not having the legal or moral right to break? I think they had the moral and legal right to fight the British when the war started. But as to them breaking away... probly had the moral right.

[quote]Taxes: Okay i can see why people dont like taxes but to not pay them and start a war...and i can even see the motive behind not wanting to pay taxes in which you have no little say....but the 13 colonies were just that COLONIES. they were to help the whole of the British Empire not just themselves. As well [/quote]

The Americans (colonies) paid fewer taxes than most other English (even the ones on the island) and nobody really got a say in taxes anyway.

[quote]It was not only taxation though. It was about freedom. Among other things, soldiers would house themselves wherever they wanted. [/quote]

The US was the first country to not let soldiers stay in homes. In England the military would regurarly stay in home, eat people's food and all of that. Americans were winey and used any excuse to start the war. Our textbooks our a little baised, but heck, even if it wasn't fair, I'm sure glad it happened.

drewmeister2

I can't agree with you. Although we may have done some things wrong in the past, you have to look and see what maybe the British were doing to the colonies. We don't owe Canada anything, nor will we give anything to you. If anything, we would give it to England. They are responsible for us being here ultimately, not you. And we still wont give anything to England, because these are things that happened a few hundred years ago. Forgive us if we did something wrong, and move on. Don't hold grudges for a few hundred years. Besides, there is no reason why taxes should be raised so we can give money to either of you. What the founding fathers did isn't what we did, and we shouldn't have to pay for their sins (which really aren't sins anyway). God bless.

I would say yes they had a right not too go along. They saw the war as unnesccairy. As well they were doing quite well with Britian. As well in that time although not perfect but Catholics were being treated the best out of anywhere in the British Empire. Hence why the Catholic bishops at the time in Canada did not support the Rebels because doing so they realized that their rights as practicing Catholics and religious freedoms would most likely be taken away. Since particulary in Quebec the British government was VERY good to the French CAtholics.

Thy Geekdom Come

[quote]I would say yes they had a right not too go along. They saw the war as unnesccairy. As well they were doing quite well with Britian.[/quote]

LOL

I was just kidding.

America seperating from Canada?? We were never part of Canada!!

People have a right to make their own laws and decide how to govern themselves rather than being controlled by the interests of a foriegn power overseas. American colonists had lived here for generations, yet were being denied the rights of Englishmen by the British government, having no say in how they were taxed or ruled.

Don't tread on me!

(Canadians! :wacko: )

Canada is leading in the evil race (kinda like the space-race, see who can start legally persecuting Christianity first)

Guest JeffCR07

If one constantly seeks to respect the Authority of God, "revolution" in the strictest sense is not an option. From a moral standpoint, I do not think the Americans had a right to revolt.