An Old School Catholic Message Board

"resting In The Spirit"?

AndreaMercer

AndreaMercer

The main reason I am asking this question is to get an idea of someone else's thinking on this topic. I am pretty firm on my feelings about this phenomona, but I'm interested to see what comes up here. My husband was working at a life teen parish that was really into this "resting in the spirit" thing, especially at stubenville south. So, we have done extensive research on it, but I'm interested to see what the thinking around this board is about it.

Thanks.

:D oh wow resting in the spirt, I love it what can I say. It has to be one of the most peaceful experiences of my life. For me resting in the spirit is like just resting in God's arms :D Haven't been slain in the spirit in a while, maybe thats what I need to get me out of this mini depression

Tomorrow I'm going to see a healing priest tomorrow. I hope to be healed of sins of impurity, maybe I will be slained in the spirit?

Wbo knows?

This one lady when she is near the blessed sacrament (Each friday we have a special blessing with it after adortaion) And she get's slained and sometimes when the priest blessess a person she says she sees angels.

It's a charismatic thing. I don't say that in a bad way though. I have rested in the spirit several times. It's not some weird thing like on TBN (benny hinn). As with most charismatic things, i think it has an appropriate time and place, like on retreats. :)

let_go_let_God

I have a question before I post my opinion. What is the difference between being slain in the Spirit and resing in the Spirit?

[quote name='let_go_let_God' date='Aug 22 2004, 11:07 PM'] I have a question before I post my opinion. What is the difference between being slain in the Spirit and resing in the Spirit? [/quote]
It's the same, just different terminology.

let_go_let_God

[quote name='Paladin D' date='Aug 22 2004, 10:25 PM'] It's the same, just different terminology. [/quote]
That's what I thought, but I wasn't too sure.

Being slain in the Spirit is an awesome experience and it is a blessing to be slain. I have been blessed to be slain two different times and it is just phenominal.

You need to remember that as well as this can be an incredible spiritual expereince, a gift of the holy spirit straight from God, Satan as well can do the exact same thing to you as well. It's something not to be meddled with. I've experinced it once, and it was incredible. But be careful, Satan can come to us as an angel of light. I've known people to fake being slain as well just to get attention. But when it's the real deal, tis indeed a blessing. Another thing, you CANNOT CANNOT CANNOT go somewhere and EXPECT to be slain, or even have the DESIRE to be slain. And you can't be dissapointed if you're not. It's a gift. And if God wants to give it to you, He will. BUT ONLY WHEN HE WANTS TO, NOT WHEN YOU DO.

Andrea I'm interested to hear what you've found. :)

[quote]Another thing, you CANNOT CANNOT CANNOT go somewhere and EXPECT to be slain, or even have the DESIRE to be slain. And you can't be dissapointed if you're not.[/quote]

not true, at a prayer meeting i went to, the pastor said to ask what you wanted from God (ya know "commit your way to the Lord, trust in Him and he will act") i asked God to slay me in the spirit and the pastor came by, prayed over me and i got slain in the spirit. i do agree, though that it is something you must step back and let God do, becuase if you fall down yourself, its not God, its you.

let_go_let_God

[quote name='Soldier4Him' date='Aug 23 2004, 02:05 PM'] Another thing, you CANNOT CANNOT CANNOT go somewhere and EXPECT to be slain, or even have the DESIRE to be slain. And you can't be dissapointed if you're not. It's a gift. And if God wants to give it to you, He will. BUT ONLY WHEN HE WANTS TO, NOT WHEN YOU DO. [/quote]
I agree with you on this. I have been slain before, the first time I was at WYD Toronto and I just let God take me. The way God let me fall *and I think this is a blessing in itself* If I had fallen forward, I would have fallen face first into a burning candle, but I fell backwards, into a pile of trash. The second, I was at Stubie North and that day I had felt that God was going to do something big in my life that day. I didn't know when or what it was going to be but I trusted in God that it would be in His time not mine. If God wants to give you that gift then, He will give it to you.

AndreaMercer

Well, as I may or may not have said, my husband is in Youth ministry and this is something that he encountered and had to learn about. Personally, for the most part I think it is questionable. I whole heartedly believe in the gifts of the spirit (tears, laughter, etc), but I'm not convinced on the "resting." In our reasearch, we've found that for the most part teenagers are being manipulated into this. I don't believe that the touch of a man (like our former CYM used to do) can do this. Some of the teens I've talked to admitted that he actually pshed them over... Ultimatly, I believe that it is harmless as long as the person "resting" experiences conversion. I don't accept it as legit if the person "rests" and then goes on living in the same way...I think that is a call for attention. As long as there's GOOD coming from it, I can accept it. But, I don't necessarily believe it's leitimacy completely. Here are some sources if you're interested in research:

I rested in the spirit on Monday night first time ever.

I was so weak afterward. But it has totally changed my life.