An Old School Catholic Message Board

Shameoncatholics.org

MC Just

[url="http://liberalslikechrist.org/ShameOnCatholics.htm"]http://liberalslikechrist.org/ShameOnCatholics.htm[/url]

(Why Christian Americans
belong in the Democratic Party)

I got these sites from the Call to action website. These people planning on totally changing the Catholic church into a giant bowl of immorality...

I'm at school, and haven't gotten any homework yet, so i've been lurking . . . you'll find i lurk rather frequently :)

you know what? I really didn't find those articles all that horribly offensive. They were misinformed, but they didn't appear to be attempts to directly distort the truth. They didn't even take the Church's statements horribly out of context.

I think these people may [i]legitimately[/i] be searching for the truth. If that's the case, I think we may be able to win them over with the truth.

The one issue that jumped out at me was:
[quote]for claiming to be the one and only "Mystical Body of Christ", outside of which there is no salvation. when in fact it has proven itself over, and over, and over again, not to be [/quote]

What they fail to understand here is that the Church doesn't know where it ends. i.e. Anyone with any scrap of truth has a certain degree of Catholic in them, and they are therefore not 'outside' the Church.

I wouldn't worry too much here: Pray. I think these people may be moving the right direction. They (hopefully!) are acting on what they believe, and this is always a good thing if it is coupled with an active search and desire for truth.

Peace,
Joe :)

I'll be getting kicked out of the call to action site soon, i just bombarded every topic. I included a link to the Phatmass radio telling them to listen to Crusade II.lol

phatcatholic

[quote name='Lil Red' date='Aug 25 2004, 03:07 PM'] where's the I'm puking emoticon? [/quote]
these will have to do:

:dead: :spit: :shame:

1337 k4th0l1x0r

[quote name='MagiDragon' date='Aug 25 2004, 03:18 PM'] you know what? I really didn't find those articles all that horribly offensive. They were misinformed, but they didn't appear to be attempts to directly distort the truth. They didn't even take the Church's statements horribly out of context.

I think these people may [i]legitimately[/i] be searching for the truth. If that's the case, I think we may be able to win them over with the truth.

The one issue that jumped out at me was:

What they fail to understand here is that the Church doesn't know where it ends. i.e. Anyone with any scrap of truth has a certain degree of Catholic in them, and they are therefore not 'outside' the Church.

I wouldn't worry too much here: Pray. I think these people may be moving the right direction. They (hopefully!) are acting on what they believe, and this is always a good thing if it is coupled with an active search and desire for truth. [/quote]
I'm going to have to go ahead and disagree with you here. I think that these people know exactly what they're trying to do and are not merely lost souls in search of the truth. Much time spent looking at 'Christian' websites has shown that there are people out there who endorse heinous activities claiming that either (1) the Bible says it's okay through a gross misinterpretation of a single vague verse, even though there are many more verses that condemn such action, or that (2) if it was truly a sin, the Bible would have explicitly condemned the sin in a very clear, concise, and oh-so-hip such that our modern minds could understand it in 21st century language. I don't even think the term 'abortion,' which itself is a euphemism, existed in the ancient Hebrew world.

This website seems to take mostly the second approach listed above. The author has two key flaws in his argument, aside from all the other glaring errors. The first is that he does not cite his references other than so-and-so said this. This is poor scholarship. The second is that the author takes certain people in the church and automatically assumes that what they say is totally within the deposit of faith. For example, what the church teaches and what my priest says are often contrary to each other. I will not, however, throw 500, 1000, or 2000 years of Catholic tradition aside to make way for someone elses opinion on the subject, no matter how scholarly, Catholic, or saintly they are.

Just because someone claims to be Christian and uses the bible doesn't mean that they are in search of the truth. I fear the man who uses the Bible to teach false doctrines a hundred times more than I fear the indifferent atheist. The former can lead many souls to ruin. Pray for them.

EcceNovaFacioOmni

Hmmm... Aparently they haven't met the Early Church Fathers. On another board I demonstrated a consensus against abortion since the very beginning of Christianity.

[quote name='1337 k4th0l1x0r' date='Aug 25 2004, 04:26 PM']I'm going to have to go ahead and disagree with you here.  I think that these people know exactly what they're trying to do and are not merely lost souls in search of the truth.[/quote]
true, but i hope you're wrong. I guess i was just really impressed that they didn't horribly misquote the Church. It's so rare among the enemies of the Church these days. *sigh* 'twould be nice if we could have chats based on [i]arguments[/i] rather than accusations and shock value.

as for the abortion thing: I think anyone that puts real effort into this topic is going to find that abortion is wrong. I don't think this means that their argument is necessarily wrong though.

They are simply saying that if:
a -> b or c
d and c -> e
e and f -> ~c
assumptions:
a, d, f
therefore:
a -> b

in other words:
"The Church says it cannot change." (a) implies(->) "The Church is wrong." (b) or
"The Church cannot change." ©

"Abortion wasn't around in the beginning of the Church." (d) and "The Church cannot change" © imply "The Church didn't have a rule about abortion in it's beginning"(e)

"The Church didn't have a rule about abortion in it's infancy" (e) and "The Church has a rule on abortion"(f) imply "The Church has changed" (not c)

a and not c implies b. Therefore the Church is wrong.

This is a valid line of thought. What is erroneous about it is that the Church can [i]clarify[/i] things without [i]changing[/i] them.

So, after that ridiculous discrete mathematics proof, i'm going to choose to believe in their good will. (though i won't put my money on it! I guess you could more accurately say i'll hope in their good will.)

Peace,
Joe :) (If you didn't know, i'm a computer science major. Thus you get wonderfully stupid proofs from discrete math.)