An Old School Catholic Message Board

Very Odd Question, But Here It Goes...

Paladin D

What is the main difference between Evangelicals and Fundamentalists? I should know this, yet I don't. :)

Okay. The real answer, from a book I have here on the shelf.

EVANGELICAL - A word used to denote primary loyalty to the gospel of Christ, in contrast to ecclesiastical (pertaining to the church or clergy) or rationalistic types of Christianity; spiritual mindedness and zeal for Christian living, as distinguished from ritualism, and so on.

dUSt's paraphrase: individual feelings trump a structured religion

FUNDAMENTALIST - One who believes in the infallibility of the BIble as inspired by God, and that it should be accepted literally, as distinguished from the modernist, who interprets the Bible in accordance with more modern scholarship or scientific knowledge.

dUSt's paraphrase: the Christians who cause athiest's to stay athiest

I don't think the two terms contradict eachother, because you could be an evangelical fundamentalist or vice versa.

• 12 years later...

FUNDAMENTALIST - One who believes in the infallibility of the BIble as inspired by God, and that it should be accepted literally, as distinguished from the modernist, who interprets the Bible in accordance with more modern scholarship or scientific knowledge.

dUSt's paraphrase: the Christians who cause athiests to stay athiest

One who believes in the Infabillibility of the (King James) Bible as inspired by God, and that it should be accepted literally (except for all the verses about love and helping the poor and the eucharist) 

But your paraphrase is amazing. I'm going to use it later :D