toledo_jesus Posted August 30, 2004 Posted August 30, 2004 the terminology may seem like it's splitting hairs, but it is important to realize that these lay people are administering Holy Communion in Extraordinary circumstances. To call them Eucharistic Ministers belies the true nature of their service, and perpetuates ignorance. I get so cranky at night.
cmotherofpirl Posted August 30, 2004 Posted August 30, 2004 [quote name='Noel's angel' date='Aug 29 2004, 02:43 PM'] in our parish, girl altar servers are fine and female Eucharistic ministers are fine as well we have male and femalr Eucharistic Ministers, thats what we call them, we dont have Extraordinary Ministers of the Eucharist [/quote] You may call them Eucharistic Ministers, but that title is incorrect. The proper title is Extra-ordinary Minister of Holy Communion. Calling them EMs is like calling the Bishop "the Bish", its simply wrong.
JP2Iloveyou Posted August 30, 2004 Posted August 30, 2004 151. Only out of true necessity is there to be recourse to the assistance of extraordinary ministers in the celebration of the Liturgy. Such recourse is not intended for the sake of a fuller participation of the laity but rather, by its very nature, is supplementary and provisional.252 Furthermore, when recourse is had out of necessity to the functions of extraordinary ministers, special urgent prayers of intercession should be multiplied that the Lord may soon send a Priest for the service of the community and raise up an abundance of vocations to sacred Orders.253 [b]156. This function is to be understood strictly according to the name by which it is known, that is to say, that of extraordinary minister of Holy Communion, and not “special minister of Holy Communion” nor “extraordinary minister of the Eucharist” nor “special minister of the Eucharist,” by which names the meaning of this function is unnecessarily and improperly broadened.[/b]
franciscanheart Posted August 30, 2004 Posted August 30, 2004 whateveryou wanna call it, I AM one and I AM a girl and I take offense to people saying that I shouldn't be allowed to be one because I am attempting to take on a man's role. RAWR.
qfnol31 Posted August 30, 2004 Posted August 30, 2004 (edited) Eh, it's not really that sexist to say you shouldn't do it because you're a girl. You can't be a Priest because you're not a guy, so it's essentially the same thing. Guys and girls are different in many ways, and so their corresponding roles are different. I personally don't have anything against women in any way, but there are certain roles in the Church that are better suited for men, and some that are better suited for women. It comes with the sex. If there wasn't good reason for us to be different with regard to sex, we wouldn't have male and female. One of the problems I have with America today is the idea that men and women must be allowed to do the same thing, and that it's discrimination to say that one can't do the role of the other. And it is, because true discrimination is making sensible judgements. But I am not for the secular term of being prejudice, which I most certainly am not. But that's just my .02. Edited August 30, 2004 by qfnol31
franciscanheart Posted August 30, 2004 Posted August 30, 2004 Not being a priest because I am a girl seems perfectly logical. I understand and agree. I do not see the logic, however, behind this argument. I've read what everyone has had to say but still I don't understand how it is logical at all for only men to be able to take on this role. It might have something to do with the fact that since I was knee-high to a grasshopper I have been receiving from women. When I was asked to be a EM I was overjoyed and I'd hate to think that people want to take something I enjoy doing so very much away from me. Maybe I should get over it and just not do it anymore. Who knows....
Noel's angel Posted August 30, 2004 Posted August 30, 2004 [quote]A Eucharistic Minister is a poor name for the Extraordinary Ministers of Holy Communion. There is no such thing as a Eucharistic Minister, but rather Ordinary and Extra-ordinary Ministers of Holy Communion. No one is a Minister of the Eucharist, for that is an improper name for Holy Communion. [/quote] Tell that to oour Bishop and all the priests that serve in our parish.
qfnol31 Posted August 30, 2004 Posted August 30, 2004 Because of his duties, the Acolyte is supposed to be a male. It's in Canon Law that he must be such. The atlar server and Extraordinary Minister of Holy Communion stand in for the Acolyte, fulfilling most of his roles (when they're combined). Therefore, why shouldn't the altar server and EMHC not also be males?
cmotherofpirl Posted August 30, 2004 Posted August 30, 2004 [quote name='Noel's angel' date='Aug 30 2004, 11:58 AM'] Tell that to oour Bishop and all the priests that serve in our parish. [/quote] I don't have to, the Pope and two different documents already did.
voiciblanche Posted August 31, 2004 Posted August 31, 2004 [quote name='cmotherofpirl' date='Aug 29 2004, 10:34 PM'] You might be using the terms "EM" and know that it means Extra-ordinary Ministers of Holy Communion, but does everyone you are talking to have the same understanding? [/quote] Probably not. Thank you for pointing that out to me. I will refer to them as EMOHC's from now on.
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now