Jump to content
Join our Facebook Group ×
An Old School Catholic Message Board

Holding Hands During The Our Father


Recommended Posts

Posted

We are not suppose to do this right? Well at mass today I had my hands up praying the our father, when all of the sudden the guy next to me says "here ya go" and grabs my hand. I got all hot tempered. I'm sure they saw that.

Posted

[quote name='MC Just' date='Sep 5 2004, 12:32 PM'] We are not suppose to do this right? Well at mass today I had my hands up praying the our father, when all of the sudden the guy next to me says "here ya go" and grabs my hand. I got all hot tempered. I'm sure they saw that. [/quote]
It's a practice in my parish for everyone to hold hands during the Our Father. It's hard to refuse holding hands when you're an Altar Server next to the priest doing it.

My parish has liturgical abuses.

Posted

I don't think much of it when other people do it because I try not to judge their intentions. It only bothers me when the priest/decon/alter servers do it. But even then, we shouldn't let it distract us from focusing on what's happening at that moment.

My family keeps our hands together in a prayer position so it's pretty much impossible for the people next to us to grab them. haha... My daughter asked why we can't hold hands and I explained to her that we should put all our attention on God and not our neighbors. Made sense to her, and she's only 6. lol

Posted

it is a meaningless action, as far as I'm concerned. Just like the whole "and also with you" motion I see people do. you know what I mean.
Our common prayer is enough to unite us in the way that matters. we need to physical act to do that.

Posted

It's funny to watch people reach for a hand that isn't there. I fold my hands in prayer during the Our Father. I stopped holding hands when it dawned on me that it's just a touchy-feely thing people do during Mass.

Fiat_Voluntas_Tua
Posted

Yea...I used to do it...but stopped because why be connected to someone by holding there hands? Our souls are connected as one Family through Our Father.

-UIOGD-

Andy

Posted

It drives me nuts. The priests are suppose to have their hands raised, but not holding each others hands. Everyone else should have their hands together. It's these types of liturgical abuses that make no sense to me. All a priest has to do to is correct the congregation and move on. It should not be a big deal. And yet it is.

Posted

when I was in the choir at my parish, everyone held hands and it was hard to refuse, but I'm not in it any more, so of course I don't do it

this is a really stupid reason, but I think holding hands seems kind of Protestant-ish or something, that doesn't make sense, but that is just how I think of it in my mind.

Posted

It's distracting.

Posted

thanks for the responses ya'll. The thing is, there was a time when the priest gave me a weird look when he noticed that I didnt do it. I just feel like, if the church is teaching we shouldnt do it, then WHY is it being done???

Posted

Amen and Amen.

I noticed that about 75%-80% of the congregation is holding hands. I also know polls show that 73% of Catholics do not believe in the Real Presence. A correlation? Are 73% of Catholics in America drinking damnation unto themselves?

AfroNova No Limit Soldier
Posted

I didn't know the Church was teaching us that we shouldn't.

Can you point me to the document?

Thanks

Posted (edited)

Holding Hands at Mass

Concerning holding hands in the Eucharistic Liturgy the Congregation for Divine Worship in Rome responded as follows:
[b]QUERY: In some places there is a current practice whereby those taking part in the Mass replace the giving of the sign of peace at the deacon's invitation by holding hands during the singing of the Lord's Prayer. Is this acceptable? REPLY: The prolonged holding of hands is of itself a sign of communion rather than of peace. Further, it is a liturgical gesture introduced spontaneously but on personal initiative; it is not in the rubrics. Nor is there any clear explanation of why the sign of peace at the invitation: "Let us offer each other the sign of peace" should be supplanted in order to bring a different gesture with less meaning into another part of the Mass: the sign of peace is filled with meaning, graciousness, and Christian inspiration. Any substitution for it must be repudiated: Notitiae 11 (1975) 226. [Notitiae is the journal of the Congregation in which its official interpretations of the rubrics are published.][/b]
While this addresses the holding of hands at the Sign of Peace the reasons given apply also elsewhere in the Mass, including at the Our Father.
1) It is an inappropriate "sign," since Communion is the sign of intimacy. Thus, a gesture of intimacy is introduced both before the sign of reconciliation (the Sign of Peace), but more importantly, before Holy Communion, the sacramental sign of communion/intimacy within the People of God.
2) It is introduced on personal initiative. The Holy See has authority over the liturgy according to Vatican II's "Constitution on the Sacred Liturgy" #22 and canon 838 of the Code of Canon Law.
This gesture has come into widespread use, often leaving bishops and pastors at a loss as to how to reverse the situation. For individuals, I would recommend closed eyes and a prayerful posture as sufficient response, rather than belligerence. Most laity, and probably many priests, are blind to the liturgical significance of interrupting the flow of the Mass in this way. It is not necessary to lose one's peace over this or be an irritation to others. Some proportion is required. If asked why you don't participate, simply, plainly and charitably tell the questioner of your discovery. If some chance of changing the practice is possible talk to the pastor or work with other laity through the parish council. You can also write the bishop, as is your right in the case of any liturgical abuse not resolved at the parish level. If your judgment is that no change is possible then I believe you are excused from further fraternal correction.

Answered by Colin B. Donovan, STL

Edited by Brother Adam
Posted

ah ha! Thanks Bro Adam...

Posted

I don't do any of those newfangled actions. I grew up in a parish that didn't do those things.

Posted

[quote]It's distracting. [/quote] Nuff said, however, Dust also adds a good point in that we are to be focusing on God, not our neighbors. I find it difficult to focus on God when holding hands and singing, too many distractions.
[quote]For individuals, I would recommend closed eyes and a prayerful posture as sufficient response, rather than belligerence.[/quote] Best course of action in my mind. :)

A significant break down in Authority has occurred, but we still have faithful Priests, Bishops, and most of all The Pope that are leading the way for faithful laity to take action.

Futhermore, I propose that if anyone is going to get involved in a ministry (epsecially a teen ministry), first be certain that you are either A) willing to suffer the work of changing it if it promotes abuses, or B) study to first make sure it follows the Church. :ph34r:

franciscanheart
Posted

it has been difficult for me to keep to myself during the our father..
in my 17 years of being at the church we have always been taught to hold hands
when i went to the school there they taught us to hold hands
its very hard to break the habit when its all youve ever been taught and your family believes in it still..

another thing is the altar rail. we still have one. we still use it. people still kneel.

our priest announced that the Vatican had said that it is appropriate for people only to stand while receiving communion but that he would not be forcing anyone to do this. he left the decision up to each individual saying that he would not correct anyone. he was not going to be supervising the communion lines to make sure everyone was standing. so the majority of our parish still kneels on the altar rail.


many things we dont do right.... many things i wish could be changed

Posted

....never held hands during the Lord's Prayer, never will....

On another note, the Italian Missal allows for the hands to be upheld in the "orans" position for all the faithful not just the priest. This was approved by the Congregation when the revision of the present missal was approved for use in Italy.

i feel like im taking crzy pills
Posted

[quote name='dUSt' date='Sep 5 2004, 12:04 PM'] My family keeps our hands together in a prayer position so it's pretty much impossible for the people next to us to grab them. haha... My daughter asked why we can't hold hands and I explained to her that we should put all our attention on God and not our neighbors. Made sense to her, and she's only 6. lol [/quote]
Well, I duno about all ya alls, but at my church, we have been holding hands during the Our Father since forever. But now that I have read everyone's posts, I agree with you guys. Maybe I will make a comment next time I think about it at church. But what I do, if I don't want to hold people's hands and they all expect me to do? I know that if I fold my hands in front of me, my brother will definately grab my hand, almost trying to make me hold his hand. Then it will cause my dad and my grandma to look at me like I'm crazy and I don't care for that in the middle of mass. :(

I agree, keep ya hands 2 ya self and no one will get hurt...

WoW. I never understood anything when I was 6... LoL. I agree with keeping our attention to God and not our neighbors. Good point, friend.

Posted (edited)

I actually like doing it...it gives me a strong since of community, and how united we as a Parish really are! I like it...lol

but thats just little ol' me!

Edited by P3chrmd

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...