theculturewarrior Posted September 9, 2004 Posted September 9, 2004 I'm not really a hippy or anything, but I had this revelation... Inspiration, for better or worse, is spiritual in it's origin. Whether it comes from above or below. If it comes phrom God, how can you own a song? You don't...you're just the steward. God bless, TCW
Sojourner Posted September 9, 2004 Posted September 9, 2004 Well, you could say that about anything. We own nothing; we are merely stewards of the gifts and talents God has given us. And yes, you are a hippy. :hearts:
Thy Geekdom Come Posted September 9, 2004 Posted September 9, 2004 Someone's looking for an excuse to do piracy... Not all songs are inspired by God...what about those that aren't?
theculturewarrior Posted September 9, 2004 Author Posted September 9, 2004 [quote name='Sojourner' date='Sep 9 2004, 12:08 PM'] Well, you could say that about anything. We own nothing; we are merely stewards of the gifts and talents God has given us. And yes, you are a hippy. :hearts: [/quote] It's different with works of art though... If you have an old beat up car that breaks down a lot...you're going to hate it, especially the older it gets. But your songs are like your children...you love them no matter how ugly they are. I didn't have a hand in the creation of my apartment. I love it...but somebody else built it, I'm just paying for it. But I did have a hand in the creation of my songs. God created me to "create." But it's not like the primal creation God wrights when He creates us in the womb. It comes from God. I'm just the medium. My songs don't belong to me...they come phrom God.
theculturewarrior Posted September 9, 2004 Author Posted September 9, 2004 [quote name='Raphael' date='Sep 9 2004, 12:09 PM'] Someone's looking for an excuse to do piracy... Not all songs are inspired by God...what about those that aren't? [/quote] They belong to God too. I think.
Thy Geekdom Come Posted September 9, 2004 Posted September 9, 2004 [quote name='theculturewarrior' date='Sep 9 2004, 01:16 PM'] They belong to God too. I think. [/quote] But are they inspired by God? Would God want them to be made free and open to all?
theculturewarrior Posted September 9, 2004 Author Posted September 9, 2004 [quote name='Raphael' date='Sep 9 2004, 12:21 PM'] But are they inspired by God? Would God want them to be made free and open to all? [/quote] That's not what I'm suggesting. With any song, whatever the source, God made the artist the steward. Stewardship could call for the deletion of a certain song.
Thy Geekdom Come Posted September 9, 2004 Posted September 9, 2004 [quote name='theculturewarrior' date='Sep 9 2004, 01:23 PM'] That's not what I'm suggesting. With any song, whatever the source, God made the artist the steward. Stewardship could call for the deletion of a certain song. [/quote] Hmmm...sorry, the philosopher in me is coming out... ...he's the guy who ruins all the parties...
homeschoolmom Posted September 9, 2004 Posted September 9, 2004 Talk about a hippy thought! I saw an interview with Peter, Paul and Mary (the folk singers-- not the apostles and the BVM) on PBS and that was something that one of them was saying. Noel Paul Stookey wrote a song for Peter's wedding... and since he believed it was not from him, but from God, it's public domain... and you hear it all the time at weddings... (well, not Catholic weddings...) especially weddings trying to be religious without actually being... :peace: :peace: :peace:
Sojourner Posted September 9, 2004 Posted September 9, 2004 Well, I think you could say that while the inspiration of the song is gift, the artist still puts blood, sweat and tears into birthing the song ... and the worker is due wages.
theculturewarrior Posted September 9, 2004 Author Posted September 9, 2004 [quote name='Sojourner' date='Sep 9 2004, 12:49 PM'] Well, I think you could say that while the inspiration of the song is gift, the artist still puts blood, sweat and tears into birthing the song ... and the worker is due wages. [/quote] This is an extreme way of putting it, but I think of it sort of like "owning" the Eucharist. You just can't.
Sojourner Posted September 9, 2004 Posted September 9, 2004 I think the inspiration of the song can't be equated to the Eucharist. Both are gift, yes, but they aren't the same level of inspiration.
theculturewarrior Posted September 9, 2004 Author Posted September 9, 2004 Of course, I know the Eucharist is more important. I wouldn't put my songs on the same level of importance...but perhaps ownability.
azaelia Posted September 9, 2004 Posted September 9, 2004 I still do, and always will believe that music is meant to be heard and appreciated, not owned. Any artist who makes music for the money is in the wrong business.
theculturewarrior Posted September 9, 2004 Author Posted September 9, 2004 Hey Az...I invited you to be in my phan club...tell your sisters.
MichaelFilo Posted September 9, 2004 Posted September 9, 2004 Of course you can own a song, you wrote it. If you are just a medium, then you are right, the song isn't yours, but you are the only person to have any claim on it, so you own it. No one else can make a claim on it but you. So by owning a song, you are claiming possession over the inspiritation, after it all it did go through you. If nothing else, you can see it as you were being "used" to create the song, and so the ownership is your reward for your services. God bless, Mikey
theculturewarrior Posted September 9, 2004 Author Posted September 9, 2004 [quote name='azaelia' date='Sep 9 2004, 01:43 PM'] Oooh, I get to be a groupie? [/quote] Hey Az, have you checked your PM's?
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now