Phazzan Posted September 14, 2004 Posted September 14, 2004 How strong is your relationship with God? Mine's always been rather weak, but there have been good times as well. I struggle with all sorts of things, like lust, anger, pride, faith, but at the end of the day I know God exists, so even though we have an up and down relationship I still have hope for the future. I know he shows me things all the time, and the devil plays me for a fool most of the time, and I'm a little slow to learn things.
theculturewarrior Posted September 14, 2004 Posted September 14, 2004 Welcome to the human race, Phazzan.
Phazzan Posted September 14, 2004 Author Posted September 14, 2004 It's not like that. I'm a chronic sinner. I commit mortal sins everyday, if not through actions, through thoughts and words.
Phazzan Posted September 14, 2004 Author Posted September 14, 2004 [quote name='homeschoolmom' date='Sep 14 2004, 09:34 AM'] Are you doing them willfully? [/quote] Yes.
homeschoolmom Posted September 14, 2004 Posted September 14, 2004 I find that I struggle to make good use of my time (5000 posts?) and the thing I quickly postpone is Bible reading and prayer... even though I love those activities... So, that's my biggest struggle... today, anyway...
toledo_jesus Posted September 14, 2004 Posted September 14, 2004 I used to be heavy into mortal sin. It's like I knew what God wanted and I just didn't do it. OR I knew what God didn't want and I did it. Regular Confession and Communion helps with this believe me. So does learning about your faith. Soon, you start to notice when you could do better. then soon after that you start to do better. It takes work but it will happen if you try. It helps if your relationship with God is strong, but at times we are all somewhat distant from God. I go through cycles where I'm absolutely a maniac about God, and times when I'm not too fired up. The thing you have to keep in mind is that He's always there. That sees me through.
homeschoolmom Posted September 14, 2004 Posted September 14, 2004 [quote name='Phazzan' date='Sep 14 2004, 09:34 AM'] Yes. [/quote] Well, that's a struggle... I think those who say that they didn't have the same roller coaster relationship wouldn't be kidding themselves.
Sojourner Posted September 14, 2004 Posted September 14, 2004 I think everyone sins at various points through the day, if not in actions in thoughts. And we do it knowingly, too ... I know I do. It's like we say at the beginning of Mass: I confess, to almighty God, and to you my brothers and sisters, that I have sinned through my own fault. In my thoughts and in my words, in what I have done and what I have failed to do. And I ask Blessed Mary, ever virgin, all the angels and saints, and you my brothers and sisters to pray for me to the Lord our God.
homeschoolmom Posted September 14, 2004 Posted September 14, 2004 If you have the chance, go sit in front of the Blessed Sacrament.
picchick Posted September 14, 2004 Posted September 14, 2004 awww, phazzan. Chin up!! Keep praying. Go to confession and pray alot. It doesn't have to be long prayers. "hi, God" is a prayer. Lol. Pray for strength. I'll pray for you!! meg
Sojourner Posted September 14, 2004 Posted September 14, 2004 [quote name='toledo_jesus' date='Sep 14 2004, 09:42 AM'] Regular Confession and Communion helps with this believe me. So does learning about your faith. Soon, you start to notice when you could do better. then soon after that you start to do better. It takes work but it will happen if you try. It helps if your relationship with God is strong, but at times we are all somewhat distant from God. I go through cycles where I'm absolutely a maniac about God, and times when I'm not too fired up. The thing you have to keep in mind is that He's always there. That sees me through. [/quote] This is very good, TJ. The graces available to us through the sacraments are meant to transform us and to give us powerful ammunition against sin. It works, it really works.
Phazzan Posted September 14, 2004 Author Posted September 14, 2004 I think it's different for you guys. You have a network of friends, family whatever who regularly attend Mass. I have no one. All I have is Phatmass, and that's very sad.
Sojourner Posted September 14, 2004 Posted September 14, 2004 [quote name='Phazzan' date='Sep 14 2004, 09:48 AM'] I think it's different for you guys. You have a network of friends, family whatever who regularly attend Mass. I have no one. All I have is Phatmass, and that's very sad. [/quote] That is sad ... Community is very important in dealing with sin, you're right. But you can still participate in the sacraments.
homeschoolmom Posted September 14, 2004 Posted September 14, 2004 [quote name='Phazzan' date='Sep 14 2004, 09:48 AM'] I think it's different for you guys. You have a network of friends, family whatever who regularly attend Mass. I have no one. All I have is Phatmass, and that's very sad. [/quote] It is sad to feel isolated. I can understand that. Have you been to a different parish that has more young people? You could connect with some more people (not that you would have to switch parishes, of course)...
theculturewarrior Posted September 14, 2004 Posted September 14, 2004 I never had a community...but I prayed for one. Now I have three communities...Bible study, Newman Center, and Phatmass... But I prefer phatmass! Catholic fellowship is great...but it is a bit more sanitized in here.
homeschoolmom Posted September 14, 2004 Posted September 14, 2004 Oh, also, does your university have a Catholic group?
Sanvean Posted September 14, 2004 Posted September 14, 2004 [quote name='Phazzan' date='Sep 14 2004, 10:48 AM'] I think it's different for you guys. You have a network of friends, family whatever who regularly attend Mass. I have no one. All I have is Phatmass, and that's very sad. [/quote] That is sad, and lonely. I can relate very much. Being a convert, much of my family essentially disowned me when I joined the church. My old circle of friends isn't Catholic, and I have a bit of a fear of new social situations that makes it almost impossible for me to go to fellowship meetings for people my age. I can definitely relate... but hey, Phatmass is much better than nothing. A lot of people underestimate the value of internet relationships. I'll be remembering you in my prayers. I hope you'll remember me, too. -Veronica
White Knight Posted September 14, 2004 Posted September 14, 2004 I think we all have our strong and low points with the Lord, and I for one know I have.
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now