Jump to content
Join our Facebook Group ×
An Old School Catholic Message Board

Recommended Posts

Posted

Hey everyone,

Well today was the "See you at the Pole" though I didn't feel I should go, i got the nudge from my spiritual director, to go, for it would improve my ecumenicalism.

If I ever hear a prayer like htis again, I will honestly pray a hail mary out loud!


Dear Heavenly Lord, I come before you now to praise you Lord, to thank you Lord, and to ask you Lord, to help us Lord. I ask you to bless our president Lord, and all politicians, Lord. I ask you to bless us Lord, I ask you to help us make your name known Lord, we love you Lord, and for this we thank you for our Salvation Lord. I thank you Lord, and I praise You Lord. I ask this through your name Heavenly Lord, Lord of all the earth,

AMEN


That ist he example of prayer today!

Though I should have been praying, one person said Lord 48 times in just one prayer1

Thy Geekdom Come
Posted
:lol:

What did I tell you, Rev?

God bless 'em...all those [i]Lord[/i]s...hehe...
Posted

Also, I don't know why they needed a Cahtolic representative, they would never let me get a prayer in. I wanted to pray, they went around in the circle, and they made sure they would always end before me, so I never got to say a prayer, guess they didn't think us catholics could say Lord 50 times in one prayer.

Posted

[quote name='the_rev' date='Sep 15 2004, 09:49 PM'] Also, I don't know why they needed a Cahtolic representative, they would never let me get a prayer in.  I wanted to pray, they went around in the circle, and they made sure they would always end before me, so I never got to say a prayer, guess they didn't think us catholics could say Lord 50 times in one prayer. [/quote]
how hard did you try to pray?

did they keep interrupting you or something?

Posted

[quote name='rachael' date='Sep 15 2004, 07:55 PM'] how hard did you try to pray?

did they keep interrupting you or something? [/quote]
you must have read my mind...my sig was goin to be really simlar to yours

Thy Geekdom Come
Posted

It would be cool if you could have added to the [i]Lord[/i]s with [i]Lourdes[/i]...hehe...

Posted

I'd start and then they would say, time doesn't allow we have to move on.

Posted

Okay, that's rude...


But, for as much as you don't like Protestant prayers (or what you heard of them) many Protestants don't like any type of memorized prayers, because they don't consider them heartfelt. I know that it's not your cup of tea, but don't be disrespectful... even though it seems that they were being rude by not letting you pray.

What you could do next year (or at any other ecumenical event). If you can prepare with the leaders or other people... Bring one or two fairly common prayers that they could agree on. The Glory Be is a good one (I remember it from being a Methodist)... How can you argue with it?? Also it's short... everyone could learn it quickly.

Posted

[quote name='homeschoolmom' date='Sep 15 2004, 10:18 PM']
What you could do next year (or at any other ecumenical event). If you can prepare with the leaders or other people... Bring one or two fairly common prayers that they could agree on. The Glory Be is a good one (I remember it from being a Methodist)... How can you argue with it?? Also it's short... everyone could learn it quickly. [/quote]
that's a really good idea

Thy Geekdom Come
Posted

[quote name='homeschoolmom' date='Sep 15 2004, 09:18 PM'] But, for as much as you don't like Protestant prayers (or what you heard of them) many Protestants don't like any type of memorized prayers, because they don't consider them heartfelt. I know that it's not your cup of tea, but don't be disrespectful... even though it seems that they were being rude by not letting you pray. [/quote]
Yeah...in retrospect I see that mine may have come out that way.

Sorry.

I don't mean to disrespect their prayers. They are valid prayers and I'm certain that they please God, but what amused me was that it was so easy to guess and predict the basic structure of the prayer. On the other hand, they could probably predict the basic outline of your average Catholic prayer.

Again, I'm sorry if what I said came across as rude. Maybe I should edit it.

Posted

nah... leave it. I laughed when I read that you could predict the Protestant prayers... since most Protestants would say to just hand them a prayer book and they could "predict" what you were going to pray by just reading it. :)

There are some things that you can do, Rev, to make next year more ecumenical (ie more Catholic), but you have to remember, they have some reasons (valid or not) for disliking many Catholic prayers... But so there's room for 'em... you just have to be craftier... and more prepared. ;)

franciscanheart
Posted

Please let me say that I had the exact same experience!!


I was so out of place and I never got to say anything. I got a lot of weird looks though for making the sign of the Cross. the prayers they said were exactly like the above mentioned and it was just awkward.


then they encouraged us all to go to this one baptist church for bible study and then even more so to the baptist church to do everything else they do and i was like um no thanks ill see yall at school lol.


it was bad. i will never go back. most likely lol.....


it was so bad. AAAAAAH it was bad! lol.


okay but yeah it was crazy and i dont know why i went.... i had my prayer time though around the pole and thats all that matters i guess. i prayed for them too lol :P

Posted

I went to this last year. I didn't feel welcome. :(

They must have thought that they could catch Catholic cooties. :D

Posted

[quote name='Pete-ster' date='Sep 16 2004, 01:40 AM'] I went to this last year. I didn't feel welcome. :(

They must have thought that they could catch Catholic cooties. :D [/quote]
The symptoms of Catholic Cooties include:

A Firey Passion for the Lord
A Great Devotion for that which is Good
A Deep Love of Mother Mary
A Sincere Wanting to Follow the Teaching of our Lord

Posted

[quote name='T-Bone' date='Sep 16 2004, 04:12 AM'] The symptoms of Catholic Cooties include:

A Firey Passion for the Lord
A Great Devotion for that which is Good
[b]A Deep Love of Mother Mary[/b]
A Sincere Wanting to Follow the Teaching of our Lord [/quote]
This is the one that freaks 'em out and it's what they are worried that you are going to pray.

I honestly think that if you really want to promote understanding of Catholicism, you should work with the organizers in advance to show them that you aren't planning to pray a string of Hail Marys (probably not a good idea at an ecumenical event), but rather you plan to pray to God. (seriously, this probably what they are worried about...) This seems unfair to have to have your prayers checked out while they can come up with them "off the cuff." Clearing up misunderstandings in advance can do a lot to educate our separated bretheran. I think we can agree that they possess the other "cootie traits."

:sweat:

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...