An Old School Catholic Message Board

Cardinal Ratzinger And Fatima

goldenchild17

I heard some things about him and Fatima and the third secret and all that. I'll try and find a site, but I was told that he has said that Fatima was a hoax and that the visionary got her stuff from a devotional book. I suppose it could be true, but what about the miracles associated with there? Put this where it needs to be.

Cardinal Ratzinger has never said any such thing.
Fatima is an authentic appariation approved by the Church!!!

From our reference section:
What Marian apparitions have been recognized by ecclesiastical authorities?

There have been uncounted apparitions of Mary reported since the third century. Few have received recognition by the bishop of the diocese in which they occurred. Among those recognized are:

1531, Guadalupe, Mexico - On a hill outside Mexico City, the Blessed Mother appeared four times to a recent convert to Christianity, Juan Diego. Mary proclaimed herself "the Mother of the true God who gives life" and left her image permanently upon Diego's tilma or mantle.

1830, Paris, France - In the chapel of the Daughters of Charity of St. Vincent de Paul, Mary showed herself three times to novice Catherine Laboure (age 24). Laboure said she was commissioned by the Virgin to have the medal of the Immaculate Conception or "Miraculous Medal" made in order to spread devotion to Our Lady.

1846, La Salette, France - Six thousand feet up in the French Alps, Mary is believed to have come to Maximin Giraud (age 11) and Melanie Calvat (age 14) while they tended sheep. Her appearance in sorrow and tears called for conversion and penance for sins.

1858, Lourdes, France - At the Grotto of Massabielle, the Virgin showed herself 18 times to Bernadette Soubirous (age 14). Under the title "the Immaculate Conception," she called for penance and prayer for the conversion of sinners.

1871, Pontmain, France - Mary appeared on a farm to Eugene (age 10) and Joseph Barbadette (age 12) and Francoise Richer and Jeanne-Marie Lebosse, students at the nearby convent school. Mary's message was written on a banner that unfurled from her feet: "But pray my children. God will hear you in a short time. My Son allows Himself to be moved by compassion."

1879, Knock, County Mayo, Ireland - During a pouring rain, the figures of Mary, Joseph, John the Apostle and a lamb on a plain altar appeared over the gable of the village chapel, enveloped in a bright light. None of them spoke. At least 15 people, between the ages of 5 and 75, saw the apparition.

[u]1917, Fatima, Portugal - While tending sheep, Lucia de Santos (age 10) and her two cousins, Francisco (age 9) and Jacinta Marto (age 7), reported six apparitions of Mary, who identified herself as "Our Lady of the Rosary." Mary urged prayer of the rosary, penance for the conversion of sinners and consecration of Russia to her Immaculate Heart. [/u]
1932-33, Beauraing, Belgium - Mary is believed to have come 33 times to the playground of a convent school to five children (ages 9-15), Andree and Gilberte Degeimbre and Albert, Fernande and Gilberte Voisin. Identifying herself as "the Immaculate Virgin" and "Mother of God, Queen of Heaven," she called for prayer for the conversion of sinners.

1933, Banneux, Belgium - In a garden behind the Beco family's cottage, the Blessed Mother is said to have appeared to Mariette Beco (age 11) eight times. Calling herself the "Virgin of the Poor," Mary promised to intercede for the poor, the sick and the suffering.

More recent apparitions include Akita, Japan, in 1984; Chontaleu, Nicaragua, in 1987; Kibeho, Rwanda, in 1988; and Betania, Venezuela.

Edited by cmotherofpirl

Nicely done cmother. I don't know where u got your info goldenchild, but as cmother said, Fatima was approved by the church. And they have a long extensive investigation process. I've been blessed enough to have been to Fatima 4 years ago, and it was incredible. I could almost feel Our Lady's presence. I even was fortunate enough to be able to serve mass at the Capalina (chapel built where Mary appeared). Fatima is the real deal.

[quote name='goldenchild17' date='Sep 25 2004, 06:39 PM'] I heard some things about him and Fatima and the third secret and all that. I'll try and find a site, but I was told that he has said that Fatima was a hoax and that the visionary got her stuff from a devotional book. I suppose it could be true, but what about the miracles associated with there? Put this where it needs to be. [/quote]
The Mircle of Fatima was witnessed by over 70,000 people.

Secular society says "something unexplainable happened".

"The sun touched the earth" is the typical witness statement... during a rainstorm.

I've seen the video... it was when video was first out, before any type of trick photography... along with 70,000 witnesses... All the proof anyone should need unless they want to "get God back by saying He's not real"

God Bless,
ironmonk

Oh I believe it did. I just thought I heard something somewhere saying that Ratzinger denied it. Must've been wrong or taken way out of context. It was actually my mom who found it so I'll see if she still has the link.

The only time I've read anything about Ratzinger in regard to Fatima is in this article:

Ratzinger rejects rumors on secret of Fatima

VATICAN (CWN) -- Cardinal Joseph Ratzinger (bio - news) has directly contradicted a recent report regarding the content of the mysterious third secret of Fatima.

In an interview with the Italian publication Gazettino di Venezia, the prefect of the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith dismissed the speculations of Father Rene Laurentin that in that third secret, the Virgin Mary had predicted a period of dissent from Catholic doctrine, leading to grave divisions in the Church. In remarks broadcast on Italian television, Father Laurentin-- who has gained special prominence through his work on Marian apparitions-- said that Pope John XXIII had chosen to keep the secret from the public in 1960, fearful of causing further intramural divisions.

But Cardinal Ratzinger rejected those ideas, and urged the faithful not to be preoccupied with such "fantasies and fictions." He pointed only a few people have been informed about the third secret of Fatima, and Father Laurentin's name is not on that list.

"Three popes have become acquainted [with the secret]," the cardinal observed, "and none of them has judged it opportune to make it public. They had good reasons for their decision."

In a separate interview with a Portuguese radio station, Cardinal Ratzinger added: "For those who are curious, I can offer assurance: the Virgin is not engaged in sensationalism, nor in feeding fears, or offering apocalyptic visions." The key to the understanding of the message of Fatima, he said, lies in Mary's emphasis on prayer and penance. "She guides men toward her Son," he said; "That is what is essential."

© All material copyright 2006 Trinity Communications. All rights reserved.
All visitors and subscribers to this site are subject to the Terms and Conditions for use.

[url="http://www.cwnews.com/news/viewstory.cfm?recnum=6056"]http://www.cwnews.com/news/viewstory.cfm?recnum=6056[/url]

The CDF documents on Fatima can be found at the link below; including the theological commentary written by Cardinal Ratzinger:

[url="http://www.vatican.va/roman_curia/congregations/cfaith/documents/rc_con_cfaith_doc_20000626_message-fatima_en.html"]Vatican Documents on Fatima[/url]

I also had heard something to the effect that Ratzinger had said something negative about Fatima, but I figured it was distorted and/or taken out of context, if he even said anything at all!

A Catholic is not required to believe in any of the apparitions since they aren't part of the general revelation that ended with the death of the last apostle.

But apparitions given the stamp of approval by the Vatican (like Fatima) are considered worthy of belief and devotion.

The only thing indirectly associated with Fatima (and other apparitions, but especially Fatima) that bothers me is when people seem to pay more attention to apparitions themselves, than the Gospel it is intending to direct people to. That, of course, is not the fault of Fatima and Our Lady.

One of my personal favorite apparitions is Our Lady of Knock in Ireland. I visited the basilica there, and had an amazing experience. And the apparition also occured the same date as my birthday. :D

• 1 year later...

[quote name='Ash Wednesday' post='364842' date='Sep 26 2004, 08:31 PM']
The only thing indirectly associated with Fatima (and other apparitions, but especially Fatima) that bothers me is when people seem to pay more attention to apparitions themselves, than the Gospel it is intending to direct people to. [/quote]

Guilty. I'm one of those people obsessed with the third secret. When the it was released, it seemed so anti-climatic that I couldn't believe it was the real/complete third secret.

While I was researching my obsession, something John Paul the Great said stopped me in my tracks-
"He criticized people who wished to know the secret out of mere curiosity and sensationalism without wanting -- or feeling it would do any good -- to take action themselves against evil. Taking up a rosary he concluded: 'Here is the remedy against this evil. Pray, pray, and ask for nothing more. Leave everything else to the Mother of God.'"
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Three_Secrets_of_Fatima>

I resemble that remark! I was motivated only by 'curiosity', not any desire to 'take action against evil, myself '. I was disappointed that the secret wasn't more 'sensational'.

JUST PRAY!

Edited by Jeff

Church Punk

The Fatima appirations have been approved and fully back by all Popes since 1917. Pope John Paul II accredited Our Lady of Fatima with saving his life after the assination attempt.

To have this much approval and to have Cardinal Ratzinger say such a thing and still be elected Pope is ludicrist. What the good, then Cardinal said about the appiration is that they deal with aspects of the faith evident in Revelations.

John Paul II spoke in 2000 that Our Lady's message is more urgent today than ever.

Joseph Ratzinger is not bound to believe in Fatima anymore than any Catholic is. The Church has decided it is fine for belief, but not even a Pope has to believe it. A Pope could, in fact, approve an apparition without even believing in it himself.

Not that Benedict doesn't believe in Fatima. I'd be surprised if he didn't. He was the one who released the interpretation of the third secret, after all.

goldenchild17

Interesting that this thread got pulled up after all this time. I sure have had some interesting and "different" study done in regards to the apparition since then. Funny how a person's beliefs can change over a period of time like this. Anyways :).