qfnol31 Posted September 27, 2004 Posted September 27, 2004 It seems that TAN is publishing anti-Liturgy books.
littleflower+JMJ Posted September 27, 2004 Posted September 27, 2004 im angry too!! shame! :shame: bye Tan!! :wave:
Ash Wednesday Posted September 27, 2004 Posted September 27, 2004 Anti-liturgy books?! What the? I was always somewhat wary of Tan books. They were good in that they republished some good classics but some of their stuff I've been wary of.
littleflower+JMJ Posted September 27, 2004 Posted September 27, 2004 [quote name='Ash Wednesday' date='Sep 27 2004, 01:16 AM'] Anti-liturgy books?! What the? I was always somewhat wary of Tan books. They were good in that they republished some good classics but some of their stuff I've been wary of. [/quote] i was too but i never really thought about it or really paid attention to those red flags..... i mean they have some good books dont get me wrong but i dont know anymore -_-
qfnol31 Posted September 27, 2004 Author Posted September 27, 2004 They're a publishing company I used to like and trust.
Ash Wednesday Posted September 27, 2004 Posted September 27, 2004 So what's this all about, anyway? Can someone elaborate?
qfnol31 Posted September 27, 2004 Author Posted September 27, 2004 (edited) Here's the book that I noticed with: [url="http://www.stjohnfisherforum.org/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=MDV2025"]http://www.stjohnfisherforum.org/detail.as...DUCT_ID=MDV2025[/url] Here's how they're rated: [url="http://www.catholicculture.org/sites/site_view.cfm?recnum=219"]http://www.catholicculture.org/sites/site_....cfm?recnum=219[/url] Review of the book above: [url="http://www.catholicculture.org/sites/site_view.cfm?Example=512&recnum=219&task=showexample"]http://www.catholicculture.org/sites/site_...ask=showexample[/url] Edited September 27, 2004 by qfnol31
Ash Wednesday Posted September 27, 2004 Posted September 27, 2004 Oh yeah, I read about the ratings on the Catholic Culture website. I like the fact that the site states what is good about what Tan offers but gives sensible reason to be concerned about fidelity. They also had a book about the Ottaviani objection, which makes me wonder. There was one book from Tan publishing that I was reading in the adoration room at my parish that ripped on Natural Family Planning and had a lot of scorn towards it. (Never mind that a great deal of good couples and priests like on EWTN maintain that it fosters GENEROSITY)... I think they referred to it as "Catholic birth control" and that, more or less, God wants us to have families of 10 kids or so, otherwise we are not really all that Catholic. I mean gosh, I know God wills for us to be open to life in marriage, but I didn't think He gave us a set number or a quota. I think it's great if a couple has 10 kids. I just didn't like the way the author described it. It made it sound almost like it was pitching "more-Catholic-than-thou" couples to have child-bearing contests. [i]"We need to be filling up the pew with more kids than the O'Donnells! The Mrs. just had another boy, so we better get crackin' honey."[/i] I probably took it the wrong way, to be fair. And I don't know if TAN is necessarily "traditionalist" to the point of being schismatic, but they really toe the line of what is too far.
mmmerf Posted September 27, 2004 Posted September 27, 2004 [quote]I think it's great if a couple has 10 kids. I just didn't like the way the author described it. It made it sound almost like it was pitching "more-Catholic-than-thou" couples to have child-bearing contests.[i] "We need to be filling up the pew with more kids than the O'Donnells! The Mrs. just had another boy, so we better get crackin' honey."[/i][/quote] I know the O'Donnells. Wretched brats. (Of course I'm kidding.) Dave
cmotherofpirl Posted September 27, 2004 Posted September 27, 2004 [quote name='qfnol31' date='Sep 27 2004, 03:23 AM'] Here's the book that I noticed with: [url="http://www.stjohnfisherforum.org/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=MDV2025"]http://www.stjohnfisherforum.org/detail.as...DUCT_ID=MDV2025[/url] Here's how they're rated: [url="http://www.catholicculture.org/sites/site_view.cfm?recnum=219"]http://www.catholicculture.org/sites/site_....cfm?recnum=219[/url] Review of the book above: [url="http://www.catholicculture.org/sites/site_view.cfm?Example=512&recnum=219&task=showexample"]http://www.catholicculture.org/sites/site_...ask=showexample[/url] [/quote] Michael Davies has left the boat of Peter and is swimming with the sharks.
EcceNovaFacioOmni Posted September 27, 2004 Posted September 27, 2004 Yeah, TAN has always struck me funny. They have some of what look like interesting books, but others strike me as "phishy". It's too bad, they are one of the few publishers who are printing the Douay-Rheims Bible.
popestpiusx Posted September 27, 2004 Posted September 27, 2004 [quote name='cmotherofpirl' date='Sep 27 2004, 08:22 AM'] Michael Davies has left the boat of Peter and is swimming with the sharks. [/quote] Mr. Davies, as you well know, died on Saturday. Aside from that fact, your comment is rediculous. I can assure you that Cardinal Ratzinger would disagree that he has "left the boat and is swimming with the sharks."
J.R.D Posted September 27, 2004 Posted September 27, 2004 We could burn them(books) but ..... lets pray and love those who made them.
qfnol31 Posted September 27, 2004 Author Posted September 27, 2004 [quote name='popestpiusx' date='Sep 27 2004, 04:41 PM'] Mr. Davies, as you well know, died on Saturday. Aside from that fact, your comment is rediculous. I can assure you that Cardinal Ratzinger would disagree that he has "left the boat and is swimming with the sharks." [/quote] From what I've read of Ratzinger, it would seem otherwise. And believe me, I've read a lot of Ratzinger.
popestpiusx Posted September 28, 2004 Posted September 28, 2004 [quote name='qfnol31' date='Sep 27 2004, 05:45 PM'] From what I've read of Ratzinger, it would seem otherwise. And believe me, I've read a lot of Ratzinger. [/quote] Quotes or sources?? I've got plenty.
popestpiusx Posted September 28, 2004 Posted September 28, 2004 Never mind. I already said it is not time for debate. It is time for prayer. We can debate later.
EcceNovaFacioOmni Posted September 28, 2004 Posted September 28, 2004 (edited) I don't know anything about Mr. Davies, but I'm sorry to hear that he died. Requiem æternam dona eis, Domine, et lux perpetua luceat eis. Edited September 28, 2004 by thedude
i feel like im taking crzy pills Posted September 28, 2004 Posted September 28, 2004 Well, you know, it's not really a good thing that TAN or whatever are publishing books like that... But I don't know. I guess it's just the author's opinion... And us, as Christians, need to respect that. But don't mind me.. I've never read any of their books...
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now