An Old School Catholic Message Board

What's Up With Spin?

Duc_In_Altum

Ok, so here's what's up. I’m new to the forum (yo, what up, Flip and .5 bretheren?!!) and there just so happens to be some confusion about the word "Spin" that has been floating around. Where did this come from? You may be turning your face to the heavens and lamenting “What is this, Lord?! What could this mean?!” Well, behold! For I bring glad tidings of great joy that will be for all people. Well, as the founder of the term (Spin came about through the grace of our everlasting and merciful redeemer so i cannot claim full fabrication honors. All glory be to the Father...) I thought I might be able to clear the air round here a little by offering my counsel on the subject.

Well, It all started when "spin" was stumbled upon by the most unlikely of creatures. A hobbit. Bilbo Baggins of the Shire....no. Wait. That’s not right. Ok, fo rizzle, it was about a year ago in my senior year at CBC high school in St. Louis, MO (How bout them Cards?!! Woot! Woot!) when i was with about eight or so of my close “melnons” [elvish word for “friend”(probably misspelled)] at the lunch table. As most high school lunches usually go talking about all kinds of randomness, this one was no different. And as I reveled in the mere incoherence of the conversation it came to me as the Holy Spirit to the Apostles at Pentecost. Where do certain slang words in our vernacular language come from. Where do certain seemingly-random words receive such nearly-divine glory? A prime example of this lies in the word, "cool." When not speaking of temperature, this normal word has elevated to a term of approval in our everyday language. Now think. "Cool" has been around for a LONG time and it's been HUGE. "Cool" has been so big that it has even spawned other slang words such as "chillin'" and......well, just "chillin" but you get the general idear. I decided that this had to start somewhere. So anyhoo, "Spin" was conjured. I saw how good the "spin" was. PBJ came and potato chips followed. I decided to tell my friends.

Upon initial hearing, general response was "Where did that one come from, dude?" But overall, public opinion at the table was very positive. Naturally, some thought that it sounded a little weird though. To this i mentioned that the chap who first founded "cool" in its full potential probably sounded a little weird at first too. So "spin" was given the seal of approval (in an unofficial sort of sense)

To the delight of all God’s children, spin is a generally flexible word. Its primary uses are similar to those of "cool", "sweet", "tight", "phat", "dope", etc. An example of proper usage is "Yo, spin t-shirt, yo." or "Hey dude, that's a spin t-shirt." You can even mess with it a little. For example, "That was so dope spin, yo." or even "That spun me right round like a record, baby." So don't be afraid to work with this one…......baby.

So there you have it. Our initial goals for the word were originally to get it into a movie (that would make us absolutely overjoyed) and then we'd move on to the next word. But since it has hit off so well, we're thinking a Papal Encyclical is pretty realistic. So now it's your turn, next time you decide to spread the News that is oh so Good (Good News to the common tongue) spread the "spin" while you're at it. Catholicism is so dope spin, yo! ...Truth.

[quote name='Duc_In_Altum' date='Sep 29 2004, 05:57 PM'] Ok, fo rizzle, it was about a year ago in my senior year at CBC high school in St. Louis, MO (How bout them Cards?!! Woot! Woot!) when i was with about eight or so of my close “melnons” [elvish word for “friend”(probably misspelled)] at the lunch table. [/quote]
Actually the plural of "mellon" is "mellyn" with the y pronounced as ü :nerd:

Welcome to the phorum Duc_In_Altum! And thank you for clarifying, as I was most curious about this particular word. I now deem "spin" to be spin :cool:

Fiat_Voluntas_Tua

Word!

I am proud to say I live 3 floors above Joseph! Spin is definatly starting...Flip, dUSt, MCJust, all the PM Posse' is using it...Jump in, don't be shy.

Put aside the 'cool', and use the word you born to use, "Spin". (Lord of the Rings is Spin.)

Yea, so just spread the love...

[b]Would it be possible in anyway to get this pinned for maybe a few day's? dUST...you there, you got the power, you know the Love bro! Please.[/b]

Well I am dope Spun-out with excitement. So Peace be with you through our Father.

With Charity,

Andy

Awww yea! what up what up Dust?! Man, but i cant help but agree, spin isn't cool. ITS SO MUCH MORE! Spin came to us through divine grace and fell from the heavens like manna. It was God's will for spin to come and make the old new. That being said, Christ is sooo dope spin!

-Joe Hahn