An Old School Catholic Message Board

Bill Maher Brands Mel Gibson Anti-semitic

Dave

Courtesy of the Catholic League for Religious and Civil Rights

September 24, 2003

BILL MAHER BRANDS MEL GIBSON ANTI-SEMITIC

“I do think Mel Gibson is anti-Semitic.” According to NewsMax, this is what comedian Bill Maher told radio talk-show host Don Imus today. Responding is Catholic League president William Donohue:

“The character assassins will not stop trying to malign Mel Gibson. Not that Bill Maher is any stranger to the subject of bigotry—in recent years he has consistently been listed in the Catholic League’s Annual Report on Anti-Catholicism. inDouche, we have criticized him so many times for his Catholic bashing that just two months ago Maher—in a rare display of Catholic guilt (he is half Catholic, half Jewish)—confessed to Larry King, ‘The Catholic League has condemned me as an anti-Catholic bigot. I am not an anti-Catholic bigot.’ Who’s he trying to convince?

“The crusade against Gibson is immoral and Christians are increasingly losing patience with it. For the last quarter century, virtually every movie out of Hollywood that has depicted Christians has sought to malign them; the movies that Catholics have had to endure are particularly obnoxious. Finally, along comes a film that all Christians can be justly proud of, ‘The Passion,’ and wham—we’re told we’re the bigots.

“Take Abe Foxman of the ADL, for example. When he was recently interviewed for a story in The New Yorker, he was asked if Mel Gibson is anti-Semitic and he said no. Then last Thursday it was reported in the Jewish Week that Foxman branded recent remarks by Gibson as painting ‘the portrait of an anti-Semite.’ We immediately accused Foxman of seeking to poison Catholic-Jewish relations by labeling Gibson (and by extension all those who love his movie) anti-Semitic. Then Rachel Zoll of AP asked Foxman to comment on his charge against Gibson: he said, ‘I’m not ready to say he’s an anti-Semite.’ So what changed?

“Foxman can dance all he wants but the damage he has done is real. As for Bill Maher, his own deep-seated bigotry against Catholics gives him no moral authority to call anyone a bigot.”

Guest jrob8503

Bill Maher once said he would equate dropping a child to dropping a puppy. He, just as George Carlin, turned to ignorant, offensive comedy to revive their lifeless careers.

He's not an anit-Catholic bigot? This is from a stand-up special he did on HBO a few monthes ago

"They [the Catholic Church] voted on whether or not it was okay to **** children"

The funny thing is that the crowd didn't bite on this one. A sense of shock shot through the theater. They didn't want to laugh, and Bill panicked for a split-second. He then realized he had to egg them on by acting as if they didn't know. Of course being thought of as an idiot by infintite wisdom Maher is something his fans dread.

Didnt his show get canceled for his idiodic views of 9-11-01? Another has been jumping on the band wagon. Something that should be looked at as the media attacks Mel is who owns a lot of these media outlets or better yet who are these reporters--- I better not say it or I would be labeled an anti semite.

I do think a look needs to be taken at Mel Gibson though, if not at his movie then at him as an individual. His father is a known schismatic that follows a brand of schism that is anti-Semitic. It's very possible that Gibson may follow this same schism, which is why Catholic organizations like the Catholic League need to be careful before endorsing him. They may unknowingly be endorsing both an anti-Semite and an anti-Catholic, in that these schismatics have also been vehemently opposed to the last four Popes, and have even insulted them and sunk to the fundamentalist Protestant level of calling them anti-Christs. Of course Gibson may not be in league with these schismatics, but what I'm saying is that discretion needs to be taken before we endorse him as the Catholic Hero. His father was one of these schismatics.

That said, his personal belief should have no effect on this movie if it's as faithful to the Gospel accounts as I've heard that it is. A Hindu could make the film and it would still be theologically sound if they made it from the Gospel accounts.

Code: ZE03091809

Date: 2003-09-18

Cardinal Castrillón Hoyos on Mel Gibson's "The Passion"

Calls It a Tool for Explaining the Person and Message of Christ

VATICAN CITY, SEPT. 18, 2003 (Zenit.org).- A cardinal urged the public to see Mel Gibson's film "The Passion," which depicts the suffering and death of Jesus.

After seeing an unfinished version of the film, which will be released next year, Cardinal Darío Castrillón Hoyos, prefect of the Congregation for Clergy, gave his opinion on the film, in an interview published today in Turin's newspaper La Stampa.

The spokesman of the Jewish community in Rome, Riccardo Pacifici, after reading the cardinal's statements, added: "We are optimistic."

"The Catholic Church assumed in this connection a very clear position in 1964, canceling from the whole Jewish people the accusation of having killed God," Pacifici said. "This has meant that relations between Jews and Christians are clearly better."

The cardinal began: "As I watched this yet unfinished version of the film, I experienced moments of profound spiritual intimacy with Jesus Christ. It is a film that leads the viewer into prayer and reflection, into heartfelt contemplation. In fact, as I told Mr. Gibson after the screening, I would gladly trade some of the homilies that I have given about the passion of Christ for even a few of the scenes of his film."

Here is the translation of the interview.

Q: Do you have any reservations in recommending the film?

Cardinal Castrillón Hoyos: I would like all our Catholic priests throughout the world to see this film. I hope all Christians will be able to see it, and all people everywhere.

Q: The film is reported to contain graphic violence. Won't this provoke anger and hatred among viewers?

Cardinal Castrillón Hoyos: In my opinion, one of the great achievements of this film is to have shown so effectively both the horror of sin and selfishness, and the redeeming power of love.

Seeing this film elicits love and compassion. It makes the viewer want to love more, to forgive, to be good and strong no matter what, just as Christ did even in the face of such terrible suffering.

Q: As prefect of the Congregation for Clergy, your responsibilities include overseeing the catechesis of Catholics worldwide. Does this film contribute positively to your work?

Cardinal Castrillón Hoyos: This film is a triumph of art and faith. It will be a tool for explaining the person and message of Christ. I am confident that it will change for the better everyone who sees it, both Christians and non-Christians alike. It will bring people closer to God, and closer to one another.

Q: Some have expressed fear that Gibson's vivid depiction of the death of Christ could spark anti-Semitism. Is there any truth to this?

Cardinal Castrillón Hoyos: Anti-Semitism, like all forms of racism, distorts the truth in order to put a whole race of people in a bad light. This film does nothing of the sort.

It draws out from the historical objectivity of the Gospel narratives sentiments of forgiveness, mercy and reconciliation. It captures the subtleties and the horror of sin, as well as the gentle power of love and forgiveness, without making or insinuating blanket condemnations against one group.

This film expresses the exact opposite, that learning from the example of Christ, there should never be any more violence against any other human being.

email this article

Mel Gibson is a member of the knights of Columbus. If you go to thier website www.kofc.org youll see he made a surprise visit to thier main meeting to ask that people see the movie before passing judgement.

Mel Gibson is a member of the knights of Columbus. If you go to thier website www.kofc.org youll see he made a surprise visit to thier main meeting to ask that people see the movie before passing judgement.

Just because Gibson visited their meeting doesn't mean he's a member of the Knights of Columbus. Mel Gibson is outside the Church -- a sedevacantist. The Knights of Columbus are for those in union with the Church.

Speaking of people on TV joking about the Church scandals, Letterman did a lot of that at the time when the media was also bashing The Church.

I stopped watching The Late Show after that.

And Mel Gibson really is outside of The Catholic Church, he's doesn't take part in any of the recognised Rites, instead he goes to a church not approved by archdiocese.

And Mel Gibson really is outside of The Catholic Church, he's doesn't take part in any of the recognised Rites, instead he goes to a church not approved by archdiocese.

I know he attends Mass in a chapel in his backyard with a priest friend of his, and that it is a Tridentine mass.

Are you sure that he is a sedevacantist? Can you point me to some proof?

Mel Gibson had Mass said everyday on the movie set.

Was it said by a priest in communion with the Church, or was it a SSPX or Sedevacantist priest? If it was a priest in communion with the Church, it would seem that Gibson isn't a Sedevacantist, because they're forbidden to attend the Novus Ordo Mass or even an indult Tridentine Mass. It must be Mass celebrated by one of their schismatic priests.