An Old School Catholic Message Board

Difference between Mortal Sin and Grave Matter?

Paladin D

goldenchild17

I may be wrong, but I think there is a difference. A mortal sin occurs when three things are present. The sin must be of grave matter, the offender must know that it's grave, and the offender must consent to doing it anyway. I think grave matter is just one of the three things that must be present to make a mortal sin. I don't think it constitutes a mortal sin in and of itself.

Guest Aluigi

objectively speaking, you would say any sin of grave matter is a mortal sin. such as "murder is a mortal sin"

subjective to a specific case, they may or may not have committed a mortal sin, i.e. "when billy killed bobby he committed a sin of grave matter, but he was being controlled by an evil brain slug and thus did not commit a mortal sin"

That's basically it.

Pax, and watch out for them evil brain slugs... :unsure:

phatcatholic

we had a discussion here about a month ago on this topic, which may help. see [url="http://phorum.phatmass.com/index.php?showtopic=18215"][b]Grave Matter or Scruples[/b][/url]

Fiat_Voluntas_Tua

Grave Matter is something that constitue's a Mortal sin...

As St. John Bosco (CureofArs) pointed out that in 1 John 5:16, John clearly is describing a mortal sin.

"If any one sees his brother committing what is not a mortal sin, he will ask, and God will give him life for those whose sin is not mortal. There is sin which is mortal; I do not say that one is to pray for that."

Grave matter ties into mortal sin through it's 3 condition's.
1.)Grave
2.)Full knowledge of the Sin
3.)Freely willed

So It is the 'Action' that is grave...but just because something is of grave matter doesn't neccasrily make it a mortal sin. Take murder for instance...murder is of grave matter. But when someone is sleep walking and they kill someone they are not of full knowledge of their action. And the murder is not freely willed because they do not freely will the killing of another.

So in conclusion for something to be a mortal sin it has to be of Grave Matter, but not all Grave matter is a mortal sin. It is like supposition's (I believe it is a supposition)...

Every C is a B... (Every cardinal is a bird)
Every B is a C... (Every bird is a cardinal...this is false)

Totus Tuus,

Andy

phatcatholic

[quote name='Fiat_Voluntas_Tua' date='Oct 7 2004, 12:18 AM'] As St. John Bosco (CureofArs) pointed out... [/quote]
the Cure of Ars is St. John [i][b]Vianney[/b][/i] ;)

Guest Aluigi
:wacko: I'm telling you, when speaking of sins objectively, a sin of grave matter is described as a mortal sin, because it has the potential to be mortal. murder is a mortal sin. not everyone who commits murder has committed a mortal sin (take the evil brain slug example)

Fiat_Voluntas_Tua

[quote]the Cure of Ars is St. John Vianney[/quote]

That's right...my bad...I always get Vianney and Bosco mixed up...

Totus tuus,

Andy