Jump to content
Join our Facebook Group ×
An Old School Catholic Message Board

Recommended Posts

Posted

Welcome MerryMexican!

Introduce yourself in the CheckIn thread!

Matt has prayer warriors here as well. ;)

Posted (edited)

How dare you make a judgement on a man you don't even know or have never seen. How dare you call him a poser. How dare you defame the good he has done. Whether Matt went about things properly or not is not the question. Matt was there for the right reasons. Matt struggled w/deciding on whether or not to go on the show because he knew how hard it would be to live his faith out as he does every day. He didn't go on the show and live out his faith because he was on the show. He lived out his faith on the show because he lives out his faith off the show. The only reason Matt went on this show was because he and LIFE TEEN thought it might be a good opportunity to reach out to more you. Praise God for that decision. I know it was not easy for Matt, as he knew the struggle it would be. I saw him wrestle with this decision. But he had the balls to do it.

Matt knew that the MTV watchers would condemn him. But I wonder if he knew that you... his Catholic brothers and sisters, would also condemn him. I guess that's what was meant in the gospel "a prophet is not accepted in his own town' (loose translation). He is not even accepted among his bothers and sisters.

I ask all of you to pray for Matt... pray that the people editing these shows will portray things in a positive light. Anyone who thinks that what they here on this show is the gospel truth is an idiot. I'm sure more went on in those conversations then what was shown. Please pray for the truth to be told (as offensive or unoffensive as it may be).

(interesting thought... wonder if anyone was offended by St. Paul?... I guess so... they killed him) I could only hope that I would be like Paul... Matt is definitely on the right track.

I didn't read most of your post, except first line... but I never met Bill Clinton or George Bush either, infact most of America has never met him... therfore, we judge him. Everything requires judgement, I judge what I know of.... so sue me,

Edited by Adam
merrymexican
Posted

I didn't read most of your post, except first line... but I never met Bill Clinton or George Bush either, infact most of America has never met him... therfore, we judge him. Everything requires judgement, I judge what I know of.... so sue me,

Posted

I didn't read most of your post, except first line... but I never met Bill Clinton or George Bush either, infact most of America has never met him... therfore, we judge him. Everything requires judgement, I judge what I know of.... so sue me,

To Adam: Just because everyone does it, does that make it okay for you to do it, too?

A Statement on the Whole Issue: Go Matt. I am highly impressed with his courage not to hide behind a facade or mask his beliefs while surrounded by the MTV mindset that promotes sex (among other things); anyone tuning into the station would have to be blind not to see the high intensity of filth on there -- it's all about image, and sex, and partying, and doing whatever the heck you want to.

So Thank God Matt stood up. It's about time somebody did, at least on there. He shed a light into the darkness.

And by the way... Since when is Catholocism about staying quiet so as not to disturb/offend anyone else? God always stands up for us, even if it means being persecuted, betrayed, beat half to death, and crucified for it; there is no way that I will not stand up for Him, even if (socially) I meet a "similar" fate.

Catholocism is not a religion for wusses. Yes, it's probably not right to get into people's faces and try to force our beliefs down their throats. And damning people to hell for their actions isn't cool either. But what Matt did is what I wish more Catholics would do, because nowadays when the world is falling apart around us (and if you don't believe me, go turn on your TV set) WE HAVE GOT TO STAND UP!

So kudos to Matt, as well as my deepest respect and my thanks. It is not easy to hold true in one's faith when you are surrounded by people who dislike you for it. Been there, done that, and I know I'm not the only one who has; it's a shame that there aren't more people who do.

Posted

O.k. HOOOOOOOOLD ON A MINUTE.

Who is condemning?

I am not saying that his life or soul is in mortal danger...or that he is a bad person. What I am saying is that his delivery needs work. A lack of social skills in this case doesn't equal to being satan's helper or anything deep.

I don't think Matt is a poseur, or that his faith isn't real, or even that he is preachy necessarily.

What I AM saying...is that he could have had better delivery. I don't think that it is sugar coating...unless we think that being sensitive to the feelings of others = sugar coating. Even if you DID 'sugar coat' something as insignificant as body odour that can be changed with one shower...wouldn't you CERTAINLY want to go easy on someone that had augmented their BREAST! A super-sexualised over-commodified organ which culture has led women and men to OBSESS over to extremes! Of course someone is going to be defensive over your comments on the subject, not because they want to bash you for being a Catholic, but because our brothers and sisters are dealing with ISSUES which we need to help them get through...it's all about compassionate ministry my friends...

**Free steps off her pulpit**

Posted

it's all about compassionate ministry my friends...

He stated it with love and compassion. You think you can actually state something like this to someone who had implants with it being "sugarcoated", said with "grace, poise and style" (?) and have them NOT get thier feelings hurt?

Matt did good. He had compassion. Besides being the only Catholic there, he would get bashed for being Catholic, b/c he spoke up, went against the norm and had the grace and guts to say what he said. Being Catholic isn't a spectator sport. And right now, Matt is in the Lions Den.

He has my prayers and support! B)

Posted

Here's our Matt! Sporting his Lifeteen shirt......very kewl! B)

Matt on MTV

Posted

I think it's totally possible to address these issues with grace poise and style...it just takes a little practice. We're human, so we mess up once and a while and if Matt did, it's not a big deal....

Posted

I just saw the episode this morning. I think it takes great courage for someone to do what Matt did. He spelled out what was not ok for him to do right away...he has his priorities straight. He understands that his actions will be seen by teens everywhere and he will not compromise his faith!

Go Matt!

Posted

After readin this entire thread, I have come to the conclusion that some people have their opinions, and others have theirs. It's kind of weird that only 2 people have the same opinion compared to about 15 others who have the other opinion. WHy do you guys argue over the past now. for something that was right. Maybe he didn't go about it the right way. Maybe he did. We did NOT see the whole thing. So why judge it?

The main thing I was mad about was what they said in his BIO. "LifeTeen.com is a website for troubled teens." What the carp is that? How could they say that. THey DON'T KNOW all the facts about what it is, yet they're speaking up. Kind of like some people on here!

Here's what I had to say to them. I corrected MTV by saying this....

HI, I am emailing in regards to the inforamtion to said about Matt Smith in his biography on the Real World/Road Rules Challenge, THe Gauntlet. You guys said," Now: Matt currently lives in Phoenix and is very active as the national spokesperson for Lifeteen.com, a website for troubled teens."

I would just like to clear something up for you. As a girl who has been involved in my church youth group for years, I would just like to say that our youth group organization is called LifeTeen. IN the biography, you put LifeTeen was a website for troubled teens. I take offense to that. If you want to call a world-wide youth group organization, and website for troubled teens, then call youth groups around the world "places for troubled teens" Because we are like every other youth group in the world. Except we have something that is worldwide, and every Catholic church that uses the curriculum can depend on others in the program. Troubled teens is something you say about those about a teens who have trouble with school, or trouble with addictions. Yes LifeTeen and the youth group leaders are there to HELP the teens in getting closer to Christ, but they are not there to monitor their every move, and make sure that they stay clean.

I just thought you should know, and I would appreciate it, along wiht many many others, if you changed the biography from "troubled Teen" to anything that the organization is, instead of what it isn't. Thanks you very much, God Bless and everyone is praying for you!"

AHHH so much drama!

I'm praying for Matt just as I know all of you are. But I'm also praying for MTV that they get their facts straight, and that they only portray the truth....yea I guess I'm gonna keep dreaming!

Posted

oh yea, and I forgot to say...MAD PROPS TO MATT...he rocks!!!! I can't wait to see him TONIGHT at Adventure Island for Inspiration 2!! AHH yay, If I get the chance to talk to him, I'll tell him how much support he has from us. And if justine could bring a phatmass shirt I would LOVE that!..lol he's sooooo amesome. Praise God for him.

a small part to my other post. My momma always tells me, everythign happens for a reason. And it's always Gods reason for things to happen b/c it's part of his special plan!

Posted

OHHHH MYYY....I met Matt Smith last night with GodsGrace and he was AMAZING.

He is so the real deal. He talked to us about the Real World and how he only got through it by reading his bible and praying. I really think his delivery was just fine. The truth hurts.

Oh, and he said to watch the next couple episodes because they're going to be great.

Posted

Dang guys, you gave him an extra hug for me, right? I was stuck working - but of course you knew that already. ;) The coolest thing that happened to ME all night was a lady who spent over $1600 on CHRISTMAS ORNAMENTS. I mean, whoah. But I'd much rather have been chatting it up with Matt.

Great letter, GodsGrace. I think we should all write a little love note to MTV. (I especially liked your last line: "Thanks you very much, God Bless and everyone is praying for you" - hehehe!! AMEN!!)

Posted

If anybody ever sees him again, ask him why he never visits phatmass.

Posted

Actually, GG told me that when she talked to him she brought up PM and he said he'd been on here a few times and thought the place rocked. (I think the direct quote was, "Yeah I love that place!")

Yeah I think he should hang out more though, you know??

Posted

Actually, GG told me that when she talked to him she brought up PM and he said he'd been on here a few times and thought the place rocked.  (I think the direct quote was, "Yeah I love that place!")

Yeah I think he should hang out more though, you know??

Yeah... And wear phatmass t-shirts on MTV. ha

Posted

Actually, GG told me that when she talked to him she brought up PM and he said he'd been on here a few times and thought the place rocked.  (I think the direct quote was, "Yeah I love that place!")

Yeah I think he should hang out more though, you know??

I thought GG told me that Matt Maher had been to phatmass. I didn't think it was Matt Smith. I'm confused. But they're both tight so it doesn't matter.

Posted

Hey nippy, thanks for yesterday! Even tho the N.O. game is more important ( ;) ) I still need your help to plan the next SS. I'll get w/ you about the planning dates.

I contacted dUSt to get some shirts for Matt and Matt and the BGeek since Tom's going to Mesa on Tues and will hook up w/ 'em. (I think you're right, she did say Mahr, not Smith. She's just not Steak and Shake material! :D :lol: :D :lol: :D :lol::rolleyes: )

Posted

OOOOO!!! Matt Smith is a just an amesome person who is trying to do what God is calling him to do. At Inspiration Saturday, he said that doing another Reality Show was his worst fear after growing in faith after the other one(s). In fact, he turned MTV down twice for doing another show. But God was calling him to go out there and represent Him-so he did. GOD BLESS MATT!!

And as for the show itself, Matt specifically said that he DIDN'T reccomend the show, for all the bad stuff on it. I hopethat people who regularly watch MTV will get God's message...

The best thing Matt talked about at Inspiration, however, was on a different note. He said, in realation to being Catholic/Christian, that you have to want it BAD. You have to want Christ so badly that you're willing to do whatever He wants you to, whether it leads to persecution or mockery. Tru DAT!

His will,

Sarah

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...