An Old School Catholic Message Board

Kerry said to be excommunicated

Lounge Daddy

[font="Courier"]consultant to the Vatican has said Democratic presidential candidate John Kerry has incurred the penalty of excommunication from the Catholic Church.

[quote]The consultant made his statement in a highly unusual letter to Marc Balestrieri, a Los Angeles canon lawyer who formally sued John Kerry in ecclesiastical court for heresy.

Balestrieri, who launched his case earlier this year by filing a heresy complaint in Kerry's home archdiocese of Boston, told EWTN's "World Over" program on Friday that he had received an unusual, indirect communication from the Vatican's Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith regarding the pro-abortion stance.

That communication provides a basis, he said, to declare that any Catholic politician who says he is "personally opposed to abortion, but supports a woman's right to choose," incurs automatic excommunication. It also provided a basis for Balestrieri to broaden his canonical actions and file additional complaints against four more pro-abortion Catholic politicians: Democrat Senators Ted Kennedy of Massachusetts and Tom Harkin of Iowa; Republican Senator Susan Collins of Maine; and former New York Governor Mario Cuomo, a Democrat.

The current action could be significant as it could undercut the entire debate over denying Communion to pro-abortion politicians. An excommunicated Catholic may not receive any of the sacraments of the Church, including the Eucharist, marriage, and even Christian burial. The type of excommunication outlined in the new information is called latae sententiae, which means that it occurs automatically and does not require a formal pronouncement by any Church official. [/quote]

[url="http://www.cwnews.com/news/viewstory.cfm?recnum=32830"]read more here...[/url][/font]

An excommunication should only serve to bring John Kerry into line with the Catholic Church, not force him out. However, the true test of his faith (and character) will be determined by how he reacts to it.

[quote name='Phazzan' date='Oct 19 2004, 02:48 AM'] An excommunication should only serve to bring John Kerry into line with the Catholic Church, not force him out. However, the true test of his faith (and character) will be determined by how he reacts to it. [/quote]
Yeah hopefully he come to his senses and helps the church out rather than fight against it.

[url="http://www.ewtn.com/vnews/getstory.asp?number=50517"]Never mind, here it is on EWTN[/url]

Dave :)

Edited by mmmerf

homeschoolmom

Oh, I thought the subject line said, "Kerry said to be executed."

I should not read anything early in the morning.

I did some reading on De Fide and around. It would seem that all that is lacking is a judgement from the Archdiocese of Boston. Well, we won't get that before the election, and if he gets elected, I fear we might not get it afterwards either. Either that or we risk formally setting the Catholic Church against the United States Government.

I just had an image of a President John Kerry telling the U.N. that he had proof that JPII was hoarding weapons of mass destruction in the Vatican.

:ph34r:

heyyoimjohnny

Man, I hope he has enough sense to take this the right way. I'm happy justice is finally being served (or will be, hopefully) but I'm afraid that if it is, he's gonna make the Church look like the bad guys. I just don't know...

Do not fear taking a stand in the name of the Church.

Kerry, Cuomo, Kennedy, etc. have made a public mockery of the faithful.

They have put forth laws that bind us.

They claim to be one of us but go against us.

For the Church to be saved, we have to do it and it starts with those like John Kerry.

I do not want to see Kerry as president. But if it happens, after thinking about it, I think the church will come out and simply state: You cannot be Catholic and pro-choice. I can't see how she could let such an important figure publicly break her laws.

Piccoli Fiori JMJ

[quote name='mmmerf' date='Oct 19 2004, 08:18 AM'] I just had an image of a President John Kerry telling the U.N. that he had proof that JPII was hoarding weapons of mass destruction in the Vatican.

:ph34r: [/quote]
:lol:

I thought latæ sentitiæ still took someone from Vatican saying it, but not a trial...

Edited by qfnol31

[quote name='qfnol31' date='Oct 19 2004, 01:45 PM'] I thought latæ sentitiæ still took someone from Vatican saying it, but not a trial... [/quote]
Nope, that's the whole point - the abortion example is a classic one. Anyone who assists in the procuring of an abortion, or has an abortion, is excommunicated latæ sentitiæ. Which makes it important to raise the distinction between what is in the moral realm and what is in the realm of Church Law.

Having an abortion constitutes grave and serious matter, but someone who has one is not automatically in a state of mortal sin.

A Catholic who has one is, however, automatically excommunicated.

The excommunication is not a punishment - it is, if you like, the last 'wake up call' that The church can give you. Ignore this last warning, and you're on your own. Literally. But if you want to fix this, come home and we'll fix it.

Excommunication is a mercy when viewed in the eyes of Heaven.