An Old School Catholic Message Board

Protestantism conducive to mixture...

CatholicforChrist

[quote name='CatholicforChrist' date='Oct 20 2004, 05:13 PM'] I think the title says it all, no? [/quote]
No. Could you elaborate on how conservative, Reformed Protestantism (the others are not really Protestants at all, having compromised with Rome) is conducive to such things?

Also, I'm not American, so could you define 'Americanism' for me?

I brought this topic up a while back when I was talking about "individualism". The whole nature of Protestantism focuses on the "self", meaning that the "self" intreprets God's word in a way that makes sense to the "self". The whole "conform God to me instead of conform me to God" mentality.

It parallels with the individualistic nature of today's society perfectly. "If it feels good and doesn't hurt anybody then do it". It's fruitless to blame this solely on Protestantism, but we shouldn't ignore the fact that Protestantism may have something to do with this individualist way of thinking that has deteriorated the moral fabric of this country.

Let me add that a good, honest, devout Protestant does not really apply here. I believe that they are truly seeking to mold themselves to God, instead of vice versa. My above comments apply to the general culture that Protestant theology eventually declines to, simply because of the natural progression of the flawed theology.

Thy Geekdom Come

dUSt, how is a guy as smart as you also so cool?

You should open a school for theology nerds like me so we can expand our horizons...

[quote name='dUSt' date='Oct 20 2004, 06:42 PM'] Let me add that a good, honest, devout Protestant does not really apply here. I believe that they are truly seeking to mold themselves to God, instead of vice versa. My above comments apply to the general culture that Protestant theology naturally declines to, simply because of the natural progression of the flawed theology. [/quote]
Yes, because there are [b]many[/b] devout Protestants out there that are more devout than some Catholics!

[quote]dUSt, how is a guy as smart as you also so cool?[/quote]
I'm not smart, but my coolness is because of my shoes.

[quote]You should open a school for theology nerds like me so we can expand our horizons...[/quote]
Phatmass University.

PMU

I can see the t-shirts now...

Thy Geekdom Come

[quote name='dUSt' date='Oct 20 2004, 06:51 PM'] I'm not smart, but my coolness is because of my shoes.

Phatmass University.

PMU

I can see the t-shirts now... [/quote]
:lol:

[quote name='dUSt' date='Oct 20 2004, 06:51 PM'] I'm not smart, but my coolness is because of my shoes.

Phatmass University.

PMU

I can see the t-shirts now... [/quote]
Or...

[b]PU[/b]

:lol:

ICHTHUS, Americanism was a doctrine condemned by Pope Leo XIII in [i]Testem Benevolentiae[/i] which, among other things, held monasticism in disdain, extolled natural virtue above supernatural virtue, and believed that there was nothing incompatible with the founding principles of the American republic (liberty to publicly promote any religion, separation of Church and state, et al) and Catholicism. An Americanist would advocate an open marketplace for ideas, as it were, where Catholicism would compete with other religions for the hearts and minds of the people. Read the Syllabus of Errors to know what the Catholic Church thinks of such a proposition.