An Old School Catholic Message Board

Alan Keyes

CatholicforChrist

CatholicforChrist

I do not live in Illinois, but I saw part of the debate between Alan Keyes and Obama tonight. Did anyone else see this? Does anyone know the odds of Keyes's chances? It was amazing the way he brought so many issues into the realm of morality and Catholic teaching, but I fear for him among the liberal voters and even the mostly secular "conservatives". Does anyone live in Illinois who can vote? What are the polls saying about this race?

Thy Geekdom Come

I haven't been watching much and an a Nebraskan, but as I understand it, Obama has been way ahead since the start...

CatholicforChrist

That is what I have seen from my online research. On Keyes's website he states that the he has gotten into a dead heat in the "collar counties" in Illinois, Obama leading 47-46. These counties, the website reports, are generally more liberal and were not supposed to give Keyes much support, hence the name. These counties are 20% of the vote. There has been a 20-30 point increase to Keyes since earlier polls. This is all reported on his website in a recent article dated October 19, titled "Keyes closing in on Obama". I have seen an entire group called "Republicans for Obama" that are "embarassed" of Keyes. It is pitiful. Apparently, early on, there was an estimate that 35% of Republicans would vote for Obama. Apparently this number has decreased greatly. Hopefully the debates will aid Keyes.

[quote name='CatholicforChrist' date='Oct 22 2004, 02:28 AM'] On Keyes's website he states that the he has gotten into a dead heat in the "collar counties" in Illinois, Obama leading 47-46. These counties, the website reports, are generally more liberal and were not supposed to give Keyes much support, hence the name. [/quote]
I live in Chicago, I saw the debate, and I am proud of the way Keyes handled himself. He almost convinced me on some of the issues I didn't agree with him on.

On the train ride into work this morning, I read the Tribune's report on the debate, and I was extremely disappointed. All they focused on was the exchange about religion. They wrote NOTHING about the intellegent exchange regarding Iraq. And I have yet to hear the reaction about Obama's performance - most of the time, he was stuttering, but when Bush was unpolished and nervous, that was the talk of the town and contributed to the perception that Kerry won.

Pollwise, the latest I've heard is that Obama is leading 68-25 (roughly).

And the "collar counties" are traditionally Republican, although Democrats are making inroads.

Keyes has been a huge disappointment in this race. Not only has he shot himself in the foot time and time again, it still evades me why the Illinois Republican Party thought it could pull Alan Keyes from Maryland Obscurity and thrust him into a senate race in the most liberal Midwest state in the country.

Keyes needs to learn to crawl before he can walk. He's gone about this race all wrong. What a disappointment.

[quote name='BLAZEr' date='Oct 22 2004, 09:46 AM'] it still evades me why the Illinois Republican Party thought it could pull Alan Keyes from Maryland Obscurity and thrust him into a senate race in the most liberal Midwest state in the country.
[/quote]
That's because all the pro-life Republicans in Illinois (except for Oberweis, who would have been hit as racist due to his anti-immigration views) didn't want to run. So, it became either:

1) Someone who would be hit as racist due to vocal anti-immigration views;
2) Someone who is pro-abortion;
3) Look for someone else

Funny thing.....the state GOP chairwoman, who is not enthusiastic about Keyes, uses the same veterinarian as me....we chatted briefly last week in the waiting room, as she had an appointment following me. Politics never came up, though.

the protector

Alan Keyes has become one of the biggest jokes in recent political history. Frankly, he has a better chance of becoming the next American Idol. What goes through his head?

"Gee, I really want to win this election. What should I do? I know!! I will push my borderline fundamentalist ideology on the masses. I will call the VP's daughter a hedonist, even though my own religion teaches me that judgement is in God's hands. I will say that Christ wouldn't vote for my opponent. Of course, I haven't me him before.

Yes, that should do it!

Hopefully, there will be enough people out their with plenty of religious guilt who will vote for me.

Nine babies for every family!"

He is going to be laughed out of this race, and I will be there to point at him.

Keyes has no chance at all.
[list]
[*]He doesn't even live in Illinois.
[*]He has less campaign money than Obama.
[*]While the Republicans were looking for a new candidate, Obama was already campaigning.
[*]He called Johnsonville brat Cheney's lesbian daughter a selfish hedonist.
[*]He supports reparations for slavery.
[*]He doesn't know when to keep his mouth shut (see above).
[/list]

I think you are going about this all wrong. If Keyes loses, he does. Homosexuality is a hedonist lifestyle, I should know, my Mom civilly divorced my Dad to live with her lover. And actually, Senator Keyes was asked a question, and that was his response, so it was not an out and out accusation.

Money, who cares? Who cares where he lives? If the Republicans won't support him, they is shooting themselves in the foot.

I support reparations for slaver, so what? I also support reparations for Native Americans. Why are these bad.

Alan Keyes is an eloquent, learned and intelligent speaker. He is passionate debator. It is a sham that more politicians are more worried about playing the game. They have a lot to learn from Keyes.

As for the issues, see above, Norsemans post.

Just a quick note: I have been a huge fan of Alan Keyes. I've always thought his speaking ability is second to none and that he's incredibly articulate and passionate.

I listened to the entire Obama/Keyes debate. Unfortunately, I think the debate with Obama was abysmal. Obama's clear objective was to act like a centrist (something he is not) and treat Keyes like a right-wing extremist. Keyes neither significantly challenged the false claim of "Obama the centrist" nor did he defend his own position very well. In fact, his own answers were often off-topic...and Obama called him on it every time.

It seemed as if either (1) Keyes had resigned himself to a loss and was just using the debate as a platform to get his message out, or (2) he just ain't too good at one-on-one debate. I would be surprised if it were the latter, because he often fields questions when he gives live speeches.

I sat through the debate thinking, "Boy, doesn't Keyes see a way to word his position in a way that is both uncompromising to his principles and more palatable to the audience?"

One problem is that Keyes' positions included not only anti-abortion/pro-life, but also the slavery reparations stuff and the flat sales-tax thing. So Obama had plenty of ammunition to use against Keyes.

In the end, I was just shaking my head in disappointment.

Just my thoughts...

Obama is well-liked and a democrat. He did not come off as anything other than a pretty face, well-liked, easy-going and medium-minded.

I have seen too much of people in this round of election focus on apprearance. I believe keyes did well, but that's just me. Unfortunatly, people want rockstar politicians nowadays and not the type of politicians that would firmly and strongly lead this country.

Homosexuality is a hedonist lifestyle, but if I remember correctly, the line of questioning was something like, "What do you think of homosexuality?" "It's a selfish hedonist lifestyle." "So you think the vice president's daughter is a selfish hedonist?" "Yes." Come on, he's running for senate, he should've thought ahead.

I would never repay you, Oik, for slavery, because you were never a slave, at least in America before the civil war. That being said, I wouldn't vote against him for publicly supporting reparations for slavery, because I don't think he'll do anything about it. It just makes him look like a crackpot or a panderer to the black vote.

Everyone I've talked to in person thinks it's a strike against Alan Keyes that he doesn't live in Illinois, as do I.

Money does matter, because it costs money to run a campaign.

In my opinion the republican party has already shot itself in the foot.

I'm writing in Jack Ryan.

Hey, I don't live in Illinois. If I did, I'd vote Keyes. As it is, if you don't vote Keyes, your going to vote in Obama. The reality is, you guys need to be really careful, your state is pushing Democrat and Obama is the poster child for the future of the Democratic party. I don't think voters are thinking about what is at stake.

Obama wants to get rid of the Electoral College. Keyes doesn't.

What is at stake here is the Republic. America is dangerously approaching a Democratic form of govenment.

Next stop, Immorality and Holland!

I don't want this and the Democratic party is going to take us there. That is what is at stake. Please consider that.

Alan Keyes is about the only political candidate out there who speaks the truth on things, without regard to whether it's what people want to hear. This may hurt his political chances, but Keyes is a prophet of the truth. (Though I strongly disagree with him on slaver reparations!)

We need more people like him and fewer spineless, [color=red][Edited by Kilroy the Ninja: Donkey loving(?)][/color] politicians!

Edited by Kilroy the Ninja