An Old School Catholic Message Board

Vocation Question and Comments

CatholicforChrist

CatholicforChrist

I have been discerning a vocation that I thought I was sure of (going to one of the Priestly Orders designed for the Traditional Latin Mass, FSSP and Institute of Christ the King) but have recently felt a sense of confusion, not because I am unsure of my vocation but because I am unsure of how I am supposed to fulfill it. I have had sentiments toward monastic life, and I will be visiting at least one monastery this summer. There are many more monasteries that have the TLM than I realized in the past. In any event, I am still discerning between these several options, so any prayers would be appreciated. The reason I really wanted to post this is that I feel a sense of bitter-sweetness when reading about the many vocations to the priesthood of those on Phatmass. The only reason for this is the fact that I think many young men have never been to or heard of or even considered the Traditional Latin Mass (as approved by the Church and especially the current Pope who has called for a wide and generous distribution of the Mass). I was wondering how many people (both those who are discerning a vocation and those who are not) have heard of the Traditional Latin Mass, have attended a Traditional Latin Mass (and those who have attended regularly), and those who have considered this route as their vocation. I ask this because I feel like God is calling men to the Priesthood, but I fear that many of them are not exposed to the fullness of His Church and the holiness, solemnity, and reverence that is found in the Traditional Latin Mass and the parishoners of these parishes. I would like comments from everyone who reads this just so that I can gauge how many people have ever been exposed to this great treasure of the Church. For anyone who has never been, I encourage you to go. It is very easy to learn and get used to, and once you do, your spiritual life will increase abundantly. This is true for me, certainly. Even after attending the Traditional Latin Mass for only a few months, I was already able to be an alar boy without problems and to follow and understand the Mass completely. From the pew with a missal, most people are able to follow the Mass without problem after attending it for a short period of time. May God bless you. Pax Vobis.

Edited by CatholicforChrist

cmotherofpirl

I take issue with your idea that the Holy Spirit has a preference in Masses and that your spiritual life won't increase abundantly at a regular Mass. I am glad you find spiritual joy at a Traditional Latin Mass but your assumption that lack of this Mass is holding back vocations is questionable. This insistance that the one form is inherently superior gets really annoying <_< .

JMJ
10/22

I want to be a priest, not because of the Liturgy that I would say, but because it pleases God that I be a priest. I've been to the Tridentine Mass (please refrain from calling it traditional, as it is far from so) and the Lord is not calling me to join an order just so that I can celebrate it precisely because I'm not called to an order. It's great and beautiful, but so is the Ruthenian Liturgy - and I'm not going to cross the Bosporous just so I can say it.

Besides, if you are looking into joining an order for their Liturgy, at least give the Ambrosians and the Mozarabs a chance as well as the FSSP.

[quote name='Pio Nono' date='Oct 22 2004, 12:34 PM']
please refrain from calling it traditional, as it is far from so
[/quote]
You have made this claim before and it has been refuted. Need I do it again? Of course you would need to back it up with something.

[quote]Besides, if you are looking into joining an order for their Liturgy, at least give the Ambrosians and the Mozarabs a chance as well as the FSSP. [/quote]

The terms "Ambrosian and Mozarab" indicate a Rite of the Catholic Church, not religious orders. Aside from that, they are allowed on a regular basis only in Milan and Toledo, Spain, respectively.

It's great to hear of another young man discerning the call to priesthood. I am currently in my second year of college seminary and before coming was set on joining the FSSP. There is also a great Benedictine Monastery in my state of Oklahoma! The Clear Creek Monks (not sure of the official name but you can find their website if you do a search for Clear Creek Monastery) live an awesome life and celebrate the Liturgy and Divine office according to the 1962 Rubrics. They are also take their vow of poverty very seriously. Some form of meat is served once a week, otherwise they have soup and bread. Currently, like most more traditional orders, they are packed to the brim and have a waiting list to join. The chapel is built from horse stables and the monks live in little shacks.
God be with you as you continue you discernment. Take your time, don't make a quick decision, and always follow God's will not your own.

Pax Christi,
Tony

My brother visited Clear Creek for a week. He really liked it. He also went to Le Borroux for a week and stayed in Wausau with the Institute for a few days. He's trying to all of them before making any decisions.

[quote name='PaxVobis' date='Oct 25 2004, 12:15 AM'] Currently, like most more traditional orders, they are packed to the brim and have a waiting list to join. [/quote]
That's no joke. Hopefully this will be alleviated to some extent by the construction being done at most of these places to make more room.

JMJ
10/27 - Thirtieth Wednesday

[quote]Pio never replies when called out on an obvious error. Interesting.[/quote]

Please excuse me if it seems that, as of late, I have been giving you all the shaft. Studying in Rome has its ups (which should be obvious) and its downs - included in those is that I'm unable to access a computer as regularly as I would like.

[quote]You have made this claim before and it has been refuted. Need I do it again? Of course you would need to back it up with something.[/quote]

pspx, If you could, please offer me your evidence again - I seem to have forgotten it. I'd like to prevent myself from making the same error in the future.

[quote]The terms "Ambrosian and Mozarab" indicate a Rite of the Catholic Church, not religious orders. Aside from that, they are allowed on a regular basis only in Milan and Toledo, Spain, respectively.[/quote]

I suppose this was unclarity on my part - I was referring to the Liturgies themselves. It sounded as if CatholicforChrist was wanting to join up somewhere because of the Liturgy and I was encouraging him to take a look at as many of the Western Rites as he could.

BTW, as I understand, the [url="http://www.societycantius.org/SSJC-Home.htm"]Society of St. John Cantius[/url] is a good order as well. They celebrate both the Tridentine and Novus Ordo Liturgies, and I think they're trying to get faculties to offer Ruthenian Liturgies (which would be interesting in a Polish parish).

[quote name='Pio Nono' date='Oct 27 2004, 03:11 PM'] Please excuse me if it seems that, as of late, I have been giving you all the shaft. Studying in Rome has its ups (which should be obvious) and its downs - included in those is that I'm unable to access a computer as regularly as I would like.

[/quote]
I apologize for the comment about you never replying. It was out of line, and quite an unfair assesment. I was overly grouchy (more so than usual) when I posted.

[quote]If you could, please offer me your evidence again - I seem to have forgotten it. I'd like to prevent myself from making the same error in the future.[/quote]

The evidence I gave was in reference to the so called "Tridentine" Rite; namely, that it was not created at Trent and was merely the codification of the Roman Rite, which is commonly held to be, in its essence, one of the most ancient Rites of the Church. This was in response to your claim that the Roman Rite cannot be referred to as "traditional". I'm restating this only so we can be clear as to what we are talking about and so you are aware of what I was referring to. As far as an evidence is concerned, I shall try to find the old post.

[quote]I suppose this was unclarity on my part - I was referring to the Liturgies themselves. It sounded as if CatholicforChrist was wanting to join up somewhere because of the Liturgy and I was encouraging him to take a look at as many of the Western Rites as he could.[/quote]

I see. Even so, it would do no good to take a look at them when discerning a vocation (at least not as possible "vocations") since they may only be said in Cathedrals of Toledo and Milan.

[quote]BTW, as I understand, the Society of St. John Cantius is a good order as well. They celebrate both the Tridentine and Novus Ordo Liturgies, and I think they're trying to get faculties to offer Ruthenian Liturgies (which would be interesting in a Polish parish). [/quote]

They are certainly a good order and I think they will play a key role in restoring the liturgy. That would be very very interesting if they were granted permission to offer the Ruthenian Divine Liturgy. They are quite beautiful.

JMJ
10/28 - Sts. Simon and Jude

[quote]I apologize for the comment about you never replying. It was out of line, and quite an unfair assesment. I was overly grouchy (more so than usual) when I posted.[/quote]

Not a problem - I didn't take it personally because I knew you'd understand. ;)

[quote]The evidence I gave was in reference to the so called "Tridentine" Rite; namely, that it was not created at Trent and was merely the codification of the Roman Rite, which is commonly held to be, in its essence, one of the most ancient Rites of the Church. This was in response to your claim that the Roman Rite cannot be referred to as "traditional". I'm restating this only so we can be clear as to what we are talking about and so you are aware of what I was referring to. As far as an evidence is concerned, I shall try to find the old post.[/quote]

As this isn't a debate table, I won't start up a debate with you - however, your point is well taken. I'll try to keep from incorrectly referring to it in the future. Thanks. :)

• 4 weeks later...

I've been to Tridentine Masses on several occasions. It is absolutely beautiful. I am glad that it is being kept alive, just as I am thankful for our Novus Ordo Mass. But, unfortunately, so many who regularly attend Latin Masses end up thinking that the Latin is "better" than the Novus Ordo. Just be careful that you don't end falling into the same trap. Ad Majoram Dei Gloraim!